• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2018 2:25 pm
[OP]
Aug 25, 2005
659 posts
60 upvotes
Mississauga

MIce coming through vent

I have mice getting in through the downstairs powder room vent.

There is a plastic vent cover which they have chewed through.

Is there a metal cover I can use instead - could not find one online

Any other suggestions?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2464 posts
1431 upvotes
Edmonton
One solution is steel wool. Mice hate it, can’t chew through it. It will allow air to pass just don’t jam too much in there....
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2874 posts
1980 upvotes
I think if I has mice that I knew were in the floor I would call a professional. Not only to exterminate them but to find out where they're coming in.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7874 posts
3742 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Can you describe vent? There are many ways to properly prevent vermin from coming in. Steel wool in a vent isn't one of them.

And don't think was can't be found online doesn't exist. You need to expand your search for a solution.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Aug 25, 2005
659 posts
60 upvotes
Mississauga
thriftshopper wrote: Can you describe vent? There are many ways to properly prevent vermin from coming in. Steel wool in a vent isn't one of them.

And don't think was can't be found online doesn't exist. You need to expand your search for a solution.
Picture of vent with cover is attached - shown
Images
  • BPGH4WZW.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7874 posts
3742 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Are they getting in through the extractor fan from there?

I suggest getting a Continental Fan backdraft damper and insert it into the duct once you remove the cover. You may be able to slide it into the ducting (only worked like that for 1 in 4 in my home. Metal construction so harder for the critter to get through. Available at AMRE (or Andrew Sheret or some other plumbing/HVAC dealer).

Get a metal grill/louvered cover to cover the duct.

Here are some other options at AMRE.
https://www.amresupply.com/catalog/Wall ... 33676-HM68
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Aug 25, 2005
659 posts
60 upvotes
Mississauga
thriftshopper wrote: Are they getting in through the extractor fan from there?

I suggest getting a Continental Fan backdraft damper and insert it into the duct once you remove the cover. You may be able to slide it into the ducting (only worked like that for 1 in 4 in my home. Metal construction so harder for the critter to get through. Available at AMRE (or Andrew Sheret or some other plumbing/HVAC dealer).

Get a metal grill/louvered cover to cover the duct.

Thank you for your suggestion - I will try to get a metal grill cover.

Here are some other options at AMRE.
https://www.amresupply.com/catalog/Wall ... 33676-HM68
[OP]
Aug 25, 2005
659 posts
60 upvotes
Mississauga
smacd wrote: The slats look too wide to me. A mouse can pass through a 1cm hole.
It is in stock at Lowes - I will go and check and post
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19547 posts
12625 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Get some metal door/window screen material - https://www.lowes.ca/screen-tools/easy- ... 26500.html

Just line the inside or the outside of the vent cover. Since it's a screen material, you may have to remove it periodically.

Or you can get some steel mesh with 1/4" holes - https://www.lowes.ca/garden-utility-fen ... hTerm=mesh. Same idea but the 1/4" mesh won't have the maintenance issue.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
9914 posts
2794 upvotes
Toronto
fhirji wrote: I have mice getting in through the downstairs powder room vent.

There is a plastic vent cover which they have chewed through.

Is there a metal cover I can use instead - could not find one online

Any other suggestions?
Take some sheet metal, drill some small holes and cover the hole in the exterior wall with it. Then put the vent cover on top of that.

That should suffice.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)