• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2018 2:33 pm
Tags:
Jan 27, 2009
268 posts
16 upvotes
Pointe-claire

Mice in duct vents

Last winter, we found mice droppings in a kitchen drawer. We set up mouse traps around the house and ended up catching 4-5 mice in the process. Since that point(January) we haven't seen anything. Last night when sleeping in our guest room, I was awoken by the sound of mice feet in ceiling above, effectively in the duct vent as I could hear the feet in the aluminum ducts. Has anybody ever had this issue before? I'm actually concerned that this might be an old problem and that there may be dead mice and tons of droppings in there.
Would one of those duct cleaning services clean that out? Not sure what kind of power/suction those machines have.
Last edited by Montreal514 on Dec 5th, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 replies
Oct 2, 2017
850 posts
608 upvotes
Regardless, I think you should do it. If mouse droppings are in the vents you are breathing that stuff. The real solution tho is pest control
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
You need to get an exterminator first to eliminate the mice, then have the ducts cleaned once they're all gone. BTW, they're probably in your garage, walls, and attic as well.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
You also have to eliminate how the mice get in the house in the first place. If you don't do that early on in the process, the mice that you or exterminator kill will just be replaced by others as the weather gets cold and mice start looking for a warm home.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
With any deposit of mouse feces inside the ductwork and a constant movement of air across it, one has to consider the possibility of airborne infections (virus) which can grow quickly. Call the experts and resolve it quickly.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Don't forget that ducts are usually fairly well sealed (ie hard for mice to get in through the metal ducting) so you will also have to find the hole in the duct work as well.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
craftsman wrote: Don't forget that ducts are usually fairly well sealed (ie hard for mice to get in through the metal ducting) so you will also have to find the hole in the duct work as well.
You'd be surprised how little of a hole a mouse can crawl in. The floor registers or even ceiling vents can be an easy access for a mouse.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)