Home & Garden

Mice poop in basement - hire exterminator?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2020 7:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1073 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto

Mice poop in basement - hire exterminator?

I found mice poop in a basket in the basement. It got into a bag of barley I left in the basement and forgot about . I'm not sure how long it's been there because I don't go into the basement and it's a cluttered mess.

Do I hire exterminator? Or do I clean up poop and see if more pops up anywhere?

There is a hole in the wall from an unfinished outlet. I plan to seal that up today.

Not sure what the best course of action is. I haven't seen any other signs upstairs or mai living level.
70 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5853 posts
4152 upvotes
Had mice once, noticed poop under diswasher after moving it for a repair. Bought mouse traps, put peanut butter on those, and installed along the walls, as mice runs along the walls. 15 minutes after we went to bed and there were no more noise in the house I heard a trap operate. Left the traps there for few days, and never found mice or droppings. I caught the only mouse in the house.

First, seal the opening ASAP, just like you plan to. Install mouse traps, just in case there is still in the house.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1073 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
DoorCrasher wrote: Had mice once, noticed poop under diswasher after moving it for a repair. Bought mouse traps, put peanut butter on those, and installed along the walls, as mice runs along the walls. 15 minutes after we went to bed and there were no more noise in the house I heard a trap operate. Left the traps there for few days, and never found mice or droppings. I caught the only mouse in the house.

First, seal the opening ASAP, just like you plan to. Install mouse traps, just in case there is still in the house.
How do you toss out mice body after? Is it a bloody mess?
Any recommendations for trap?
Any recommendations on how to seal this opening up temporarily? Will duct tape work?
Images
  • IMG_20201110_115951420.jpg
Mar 6, 2011
61 posts
38 upvotes
Ajax, ON
ranjeet2000 wrote: Any recommendations on how to seal this opening up temporarily? Will duct tape work?
If that opening is the size of an eletrical receptacle, you can go get a blank receptacle cover. The mouse can gnaw through duct tape.
Last edited by zivic2play on Nov 10th, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1073 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
zivic2play wrote: If that opening is the size of an eletrical receptacle, you can go get a black receptacle cover. The mouse can gnaw through duct tape.
Yes, it's receptical cover size. I'll pick one up. Not sure why original owners left it open like that
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5853 posts
4152 upvotes
ranjeet2000 wrote: How do you toss out mice body after? Is it a bloody mess?
Any recommendations on how to seal this opening up temporarily? Will duct tape work?

About mouse traps, I used these. There is different size available. https://www.lowes.ca/product/traps/vict ... trap-94677 buy a few of them, and install them along the walls. Use peanut butter as bait. When I caught the mouse, I just put it in a plastic bag and disposed of in the garbage. Weather is not that much hot. If you trhow this in the garbage it will not stink that much.

About the hole in the wall, if you are sure you will never use this in the future you can fill it with rockwool and then cover it with a wall plate like this https://www.lowes.ca/product/wall-plate ... ack-750451
Aug 29, 2019
788 posts
358 upvotes
ranjeet2000 wrote: I found mice poop in a basket in the basement. It got into a bag of barley I left in the basement and forgot about . I'm not sure how long it's been there because I don't go into the basement and it's a cluttered mess.

Do I hire exterminator? Or do I clean up poop and see if more pops up anywhere?

There is a hole in the wall from an unfinished outlet. I plan to seal that up today.

Not sure what the best course of action is. I haven't seen any other signs upstairs or mai living level.
Clean up the basement, mice like clutter.

The hole in the outlet isn't the primary entrance point into the house. Apart from running in while the door or window was open, then there must be some way the mouse got in from outside and that is the hole(s) you need to find and plug up
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3390 posts
2358 upvotes
Toronto
ranjeet2000 wrote: How do you toss out mice body after? Is it a bloody mess?
Covering that hole isn't going to solve any mice problems. If they're in the house, they're in the house. That outlet doesn't open to the outside, it opens to the interior of a wall.

You need to focus on holes that lead to the exterior of the building, not just in walls.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1073 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
DoorCrasher wrote: About mouse traps, I used these. There is different size available. https://www.lowes.ca/product/traps/vict ... trap-94677 buy a few of them, and install them along the walls. Use peanut butter as bait. When I caught the mouse, I just put it in a plastic bag and disposed of in the garbage. Weather is not that much hot. If you trhow this in the garbage it will not stink that much.

About the hole in the wall, if you are sure you will never use this in the future you can fill it with rockwool and then cover it with a wall plate like this https://www.lowes.ca/product/wall-plate ... ack-750451
Thanks for suggestion. Did you reuse the traps?
When you say a few, you mean like 6?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1073 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
Katedontbreak wrote: Clean up the basement, mice like clutter.

The hole in the outlet isn't the primary entrance point into the house. Apart from running in while the door or window was open, then there must be some way the mouse got in from outside and that is the hole(s) you need to find and plug up
We'll clear out clutter and start scouting for holes. I saw a mice crawl through a crack underneath the porch..this would lead to our cold room which would lead to the basement. Is that a possibility? Or is it likely something larger and more visible?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1073 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
torontotim wrote: Covering that hole isn't going to solve any mice problems. If they're in the house, they're in the house. That outlet doesn't open to the outside, it opens to the interior of a wall.

You need to focus on holes that lead to the exterior of the building, not just in walls.
Thanks we'll have a look
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1259 posts
321 upvotes
Toronto
there is a really effective bucket method online.
Aug 29, 2019
788 posts
358 upvotes
ranjeet2000 wrote: We'll clear out clutter and start scouting for holes. I saw a mice crawl through a crack underneath the porch..this would lead to our cold room which would lead to the basement. Is that a possibility? Or is it likely something larger and more visible?
It's always best to fill the crack regardless so it stops moisture as well. GE makes a masonry silicone that will patch up any cracks or small holes quick and easily.

This link has some common places they might be getting in, that you could check around your home.

https://www.theexterminators.ca/blog/ho ... ry-points/
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17247 posts
10015 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ranjeet2000 wrote: Thanks for suggestion. Did you reuse the traps?
Yes, you reuse the traps. The trap isn't strong enough to break the skin of the mouse typically... just strong enough to crack bones and kill the mouse so there isn't blood and gore unless you left the mouse to decompose.

You want to provide the mouse with a target-rich environment - the easier it is for the mouse to find the trap, the quicker you may get results. Place traps along the wall as mice typically like to run along the wall and not in open spaces. Check your traps daily as you want to get rid of the body quickly after killing it. Also, don't be cheap on the amount of bait used - there's a reason why the spot for the bait is so big. You might also want to mix in some rice or grains (like that barley) with the peanut butter. And I've found that a peanut butter with a creamy consistency works well as the stuff that is more runny (ie the natural/pure peanut type) won't stay put on the bait platform but runs.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17247 posts
10015 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ranjeet2000 wrote: We'll clear out clutter and start scouting for holes. I saw a mice crawl through a crack underneath the porch..this would lead to our cold room which would lead to the basement. Is that a possibility? Or is it likely something larger and more visible?
Any hole larger than a nickel should be addressed so look along where the foundation joins up to the wall and any pipes or service entrances in the wall. When filling the holes, ensure that the plug is tight and doesn't let any heat out as mice have a tendency to find those spots and break through the patch again. Also, find some sort of dense metal mesh (like the stuff they use for window screens) and shove into the holes and gaps then fill with some spray foam or concrete. I spray foamed the entire way around my house where the foundation meets the wall.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5853 posts
4152 upvotes
ranjeet2000 wrote: Thanks for suggestion. Did you reuse the traps?
The more traps the better, especially if you have multiple mice. As I said, place the traps along the walls, with peanut butter as bait. It is mandatory to fille holes/cracks/openings to the outside or you will never get rid of those. When weather gets colder, mice are looking for a warm place to stay, and easily accessible good like a forgotten bag of barley Winking Face

And, you would not want a mice couple in your house... If female gets pregnant.... You could call this an infestation
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1073 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
Katedontbreak wrote: It's always best to fill the crack regardless so it stops moisture as well. GE makes a masonry silicone that will patch up any cracks or small holes quick and easily.

This link has some common places they might be getting in, that you could check around your home.

https://www.theexterminators.ca/blog/ho ... ry-points/
Thanks for the link and recommendations
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1073 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
DoorCrasher wrote: The more traps the better, especially if you have multiple mice. As I said, place the traps along the walls, with peanut butter as bait. It is mandatory to fille holes/cracks/openings to the outside or you will never get rid of those. When weather gets colder, mice are looking for a warm place to stay, and easily accessible good like a forgotten bag of barley Winking Face

And, you would not want a mice couple in your house... If female gets pregnant.... You could call this an infestation
Looks like I have some work today.
That barley was to make beer :( not happening ever again.
Aug 29, 2019
788 posts
358 upvotes
ranjeet2000 wrote: Looks like I have some work today.
Store grains and other food products in glass jars (reuse old pickle and tomato sauce jars) and you can store them in the basement but wont have a problem with mice getting into them.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5853 posts
4152 upvotes
ranjeet2000 wrote: Looks like I have some work today.
Don't stop making beer because of mice! Just don't forget a bag of barley for a long time in your basement! Winking Face