Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2544 posts
274 upvotes
Scarborough

Mices inside home

How do you deal with mice inside the home? I have the basement rented out (tenants leaving on the 14th). I was going to check if there are any cracks or anything that can make it easy for them to enter the house. I have killed two already and spotted another 2 yesterday. I do have a cat and she has been good at getting to them...anything else that can be done?

Thanks
Telus EPP $50/20GB
Fido-$30/2GB, 1000 LD Minutes, Unlimited Canada Wide Calling, Unlimited text and MMS worldwide
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8887 posts
1826 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Check for openings. They can fit through holes the size of a dime. Clean up all sources of food.

The standard snap mouse traps work best in my experience. You generally don't even need to bait them, just put them against the wall where they typically go. Just make sure your cat can't reach the traps.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2277 posts
1621 upvotes
SW Ontario
Just a thought .... uhm Mouse Traps?
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
Go around the outside of the house and check for any openings. You can discourage them from coming in but it's hard to keep them out 100%. My take is as long as they aren't in living areas (kitchen/food storage areas especially), then they can do what they want.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1936 posts
910 upvotes
London
ninety5teg wrote:
Mouse traps are no good.
Based on what?
Jojo_Madman wrote: Peanut butter and good old victor traps have never let me down when needed ... proper placement is 90% of the game
I agree.
Simple works.
May 17, 2007
589 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
I heard cats work great too
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4121 posts
926 upvotes
Sask.
We have had luck with regular mouse traps,, with peanut butter.
What also works well is the sticky pads.

We put these under the stove, guess they like that hiding place.

Our cat won't catch a mouse, but we can tell by her behaviour when there is one in the house.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16932 posts
1780 upvotes
Thornhill
I’d do snaptraps or live traps that electrocute. Don’t have to deal with mouse poop or pee.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9340 posts
3041 upvotes
ninety5teg wrote: How do you deal with mice inside the home? I have the basement rented out (tenants leaving on the 14th). I was going to check if there are any cracks or anything that can make it easy for them to enter the house. I have killed two already and spotted another 2 yesterday. I do have a cat and she has been good at getting to them...anything else that can be done?

Thanks
Trapping and killing is not enough you need to find out the entrance point. Get down on your hands and knees and look for any openings, they can squeeze through the smallest of cracks. Ensure your garage door is perfectly sealed as that's a common entry point, check door seals, sweeps..etc.
Discomfort is your friend
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1235 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto
Make sure you have no trees touching your roof also
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4564 posts
1059 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Make sure there is no food or scraps lying around on counters and floors. Clean clutter.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1278 posts
551 upvotes
Glue traps, placed strategically where the mice would enter/exit or pass.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4116 posts
693 upvotes
Toronto
The issue with glue traps is that the mouse will chew its own limb off in order to get free. It is disgusting and not 100% effective.

The issue with the poison boxes is that the mouse eats the poison and then goes off to die under your floorboards or behind your walls, where the decomposing body releases a foul odour into the house for days.

Snap traps, baited with peanut butter or sesame seeds, are the best. The mouse is killed instantly and you know where it is, so can dispose of it before it causes a foul odour. We use the reusable Victor ones (all gray plastic with a red "kill bar").
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1424 posts
242 upvotes
Grimsby
Hugh Jass wrote: To avoid any mess, use ultrasonic sound emitters. Safe around non-rodents and we've found them quite effective over the years.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/catego ... 3AElectric#
I too have found these very successful and my neighbour has bird feeders which tend to attract mice to the area. A good, no mess solution in my mind.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1908 posts
1123 upvotes
Victor Mousetraps at dollarama.

I hot glue a Cheerio and fill the middle with peanut butter and nutella.

I've caught atleast 8 of these buggers in my garage this way. They were getting smart and was finding a way getting the pb without setting off the trap, hot glue trick gets them everytime.
Oct 3, 2011
583 posts
376 upvotes
OTTAWA
My brother insisted we get a humane trap... This worked for about the first 5 before they got smart. I switched to glue pads and they work. Establish where their movement corridors and mine it with glue traps. For me their entry points into the kitchen were under the sink in the holes the pipes were coming into the cabinets, and after I sprayfoamed all of them shut, they were still able to enter into the kitchen but only under the cabinet spaces. I found the hole they were exiting the cabinets from and mined the area around it with glue traps.

They'd disappear completely for a few weeks and then come back, which indicated a hole in the house somewhere. First hole was that the sliding glass door was running water down the side of the house which caused the wall sheathing to rot out. I found this one easily by spotting daylight in the basement. A while later the mouse issue returned. Turns out they were entering on the roof through gaps in the vent flashing/flanges, down through the service void in the house where all my vent stacks dropped into the basement, across the steel beam and back up into the kitchen. After I had the roof flanges all caulked the mouse problem disappeared. Mice can jump 3-4 feet and climb aluminum siding. They can also jump up into eavestroughs and climb up inside up to the roof.

Manage the population inside with traps.. you need to do this because they can breed every couple weeks it seems like. You don't want the population increasing. Leave no food out or accessible. Leave no garbage cans exposed or open unless you want to bait them to that location. At the same time you need to find out the entry point(s) to prevent more from coming in.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4741 posts
1254 upvotes
Wat
fusion2k2k wrote: Go around the outside of the house and check for any openings. You can discourage them from coming in but it's hard to keep them out 100%. My take is as long as they aren't in living areas (kitchen/food storage areas especially), then they can do what they want.
So if they live in between drywall/exterior wall, would you just leave it?

Just wondering as I think I have mice living between somewhere in my roof gable.. I've seen them come out. They aren't in my living area, but I think I should still try to get rid of them?