Mices inside home

• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2019 10:48 am
Tags:
Oct 3, 2011
604 posts
387 upvotes
OTTAWA
mice will chew anything... wires, insulation, drywall, wood.. they'll get into your living area eventually and cause a lot of damage doing it. Their droppings can get toxic and carry disease. Walls are not completely sealed to the attic. You have holes drilled through the wood to run electrical and plumbing vents, you have hot water tank or furnace exhaust... mice can smush themselves through those gaps and enter your walls, and if you have runs straight down into your basement they will then have access to your entire house through the different holes and voids between plumbing, electrical, heating, etc.
Deal Guru
Feb 2, 2014
11231 posts
3350 upvotes
Toronto
How common is it for mice to come up from plumbing (drainage)? There really nothing you can do about that.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker/Owner - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
enwhyRFD wrote: Make sure there is no food or scraps lying around on counters and floors. Clean clutter.
Good luck with that. In my first house I walked into the kitchen and a mouse jumped out of the toaster slot and ran off. He had been inside the toaster scooping crumbs off the crumb tray on the bottom. Have you thought of that?

In my second house an entire family of about six mice got into my dishwasher somehow and were feasting on the dirty dishes. You should have seen the surprised look on their faces when I opened the dishwasher door and looked in. You should have seen the surprised look on my face.

There is no way you can prevent mice from finding food in your place. They will outsmart you every time. Concentrate instead on putting out traps. Don't waste your time trying to prevent them from getting food so that they will go away. Won't happen.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38385 posts
12009 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
natalka wrote: We have had luck with regular mouse traps,, with peanut butter.
What also works well is the sticky pads.

We put these under the stove, guess they like that hiding place.

Our cat won't catch a mouse, but we can tell by her behaviour when there is one in the house.
Mouse traps are and peanut butter works really well/

They like the stove because of the heat and there is usually food there.

Let me guess, your cat has been neutered and de-clawed.

I would taser the little bastards

Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
3109 posts
2309 upvotes
London
ninety5teg wrote: Mices inside home
For a little levity.
When I first saw your incorrect "mices", what popped into my head was that everyone knows it should be meeses.

This may be too old for many.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1998 posts
1581 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
You first need to walk around the house and fill in all cracks or possible enter points. Mice can scale bricks so also look up as well as down. They don't need a lot of space so very small holes needs to be patched up with caulking or foam. Then you need to lay traps inside the house to get the ones that are still inside. Live or instant kill type traps are good. I don't know about poison or slow action type stuff as it may die in some small crack somewhere you can't reach and just rot and become a biohazard.
Oct 3, 2011
604 posts
387 upvotes
OTTAWA
I would never poison rodents... especially if you have pets. Slow kill methods will end up causing them to die inside the walls and stink up the house for weeks until they mummify, and it's getting to that season where you will get fly infestations because the maggots are eating the carcasses provided they aren't poisoned either. Trapping them is the best course, live or dead.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
2004 posts
1181 upvotes
London
arisk wrote: For a little levity.
When I first saw your incorrect "mices", what popped into my head was that everyone knows it should be meeses.

This may be too old for many.
Exactly. I keep seeing the thread title...and it is making me crazy. Really wish she would change it.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
2004 posts
1181 upvotes
London
lurkknight wrote: I would never poison rodents... especially if you have pets. Slow kill methods will end up causing them to die inside the walls and stink up the house for weeks until they mummify, and it's getting to that season where you will get fly infestations because the maggots are eating the carcasses provided they aren't poisoned either. Trapping them is the best course, live or dead.
Same here. Sometimes the mice eat the poison and leave, then get eaten by a raptor or savenger and then that animal gets poisoned as well.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4128 posts
946 upvotes
Sask.
Gee wrote: Mouse traps are and peanut butter works really well/

They like the stove because of the heat and there is usually food there.

Let me guess, your cat has been neutered and de-clawed.
No, she is intact and has lovely claws which are kept trimmed. She has always been solely an indoor cat.