Expired Hot Deals

[Michaels] Cricut Maker - $399.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2021 1:56 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 27, 2020
6 posts
9 upvotes

[Michaels] Cricut Maker - $399.99

All Cricut machines and Cricut accessories are on sale at Michael's. $90 off regular for a Cricut Maker and $20 off regular for a Cricut Explore Air 2. Not the cheapest it's been but a decent price if you are looking for one immediately.
35 replies
Sr. Member
Jun 9, 2009
811 posts
149 upvotes
Hamilton
I have owned a circuit and a silhouette and the sillouette blows it out of the water.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2272 posts
1648 upvotes
These are on sale now since they recently tried to introduce a paid subscription service to use your cricut printer and caused a major backlash.

They said they would drop the subscription model moving forward but who knows. They can still brick your machine anytime unless you pay up.

Original article on the paid subscription backlash

Article that says they'll retract the proposal, but they've been already exposed on their cash grab desires...
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
1624 posts
2065 upvotes
slimysnot wrote: These are on sale now since they recently tried to introduce a paid subscription service to use your cricut printer and caused a major backlash.

They said they would drop the subscription model moving forward but who knows. They can still brick your machine anytime unless you pay up.

Original article on the paid subscription backlash

Article that says they'll retract the proposal, but they've been already exposed on their cash grab desires...
They can't brick your machine. Don't comment if you don't have a clue.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 15, 2005
6076 posts
1572 upvotes
User381785 wrote: They can't brick your machine. Don't comment if you don't have a clue.
Absolutely they can. They did that with the Cricut Mini when they decided to stop supporting the machine. It appears your the one without a clue.

Design Space also always checks the current firmware version of the machine before sending the gcode. I had to accept the new firmware for my Maker before the cut was sent, so it's entirely possible for Cricut to sneak in hostile firmware.

The CEO has walked back the threat of bricking every second hand Cricut machine but they've decided that all current owners and new accounts will still get unlimited uploads when they make an account up to December 31, 2021. So, any buyers of the machine, whether new or old, will need to pay rent to use the machine. I figure next year, the serious hacks and tricks to get around using Design Space will start. Every design MUST be uploaded to Cricut's servers when then re-arranges all you shapes into mats, coverts that to gcode, then sends to the machine. They also limit the print and cut space to 9.25" x 6.75" so that every non-branded material will have at least 20% wastage. It's owner hostile so that the CEO can cash out his shares when Cricut pushes out their IPO.

Use TeensyCNC to bring your Cricut Mini back to life: https://github.com/seishuku/TeensyCNC
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA

「上上下下左右左右BA」
Newbie
User avatar
Jun 26, 2007
23 posts
54 upvotes
Vancouver
I’m old school. Using SCAL2 to direct cut to Cricut Expression. No cartridges or subscriptions required. Finding SCAL2 is tricky ;) but used Expression (not Expression 2) are easy and cheap.
Sr. Member
Jan 20, 2005
786 posts
859 upvotes
Toronto
User381785 wrote: They can't brick your machine. Don't comment if you don't have a clue.
Until last month, I would have believed the same thing as you. That was until (unrelated), my home automation system was bricked by firmware pushed by the manufacturer. I 100% believe it was done purposefully, because I wouldn't upgrade my 10yr old system to their new platform. Never had a glitch with the old system, and I was able to show them that their firmware push killed it.

Cricut trying to force everyone onto a subscription model was enough for me to permanently bail on the company. My wife asked for one for her birthday, so I am unfortunately going to have to try to find a better solution for her.
Sr. Member
Jul 18, 2019
517 posts
1154 upvotes
North York ON
scott_newsgroup wrote: My wife asked for one for her birthday, so I am unfortunately going to have to try to find a better solution for her.
The silhouette cameo line has been extremely reliable for me. Ran that sucker almost every day for a year before I upgraded. I'm not sure if you can use third party software though. So there's a chance that Silhouette doesn't learn a thing and goes the Cricut route.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1026 posts
1799 upvotes
Love reading/seeing these posts about things I have absolutely no clue about. Esp when the first comment spells it as circuit and im thinking "ah ha i knew it was a typo!"
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
1624 posts
2065 upvotes
rf134a wrote: Absolutely they can. They did that with the Cricut Mini when they decided to stop supporting the machine. It appears your the one without a clue.

Design Space also always checks the current firmware version of the machine before sending the gcode. I had to accept the new firmware for my Maker before the cut was sent, so it's entirely possible for Cricut to sneak in hostile firmware.

The CEO has walked back the threat of bricking every second hand Cricut machine but they've decided that all current owners and new accounts will still get unlimited uploads when they make an account up to December 31, 2021. So, any buyers of the machine, whether new or old, will need to pay rent to use the machine. I figure next year, the serious hacks and tricks to get around using Design Space will start. Every design MUST be uploaded to Cricut's servers when then re-arranges all you shapes into mats, coverts that to gcode, then sends to the machine. They also limit the print and cut space to 9.25" x 6.75" so that every non-branded material will have at least 20% wastage. It's owner hostile so that the CEO can cash out his shares when Cricut pushes out their IPO.

Use TeensyCNC to bring your Cricut Mini back to life: https://github.com/seishuku/TeensyCNC
And again, that isn't bricking your machine. There's a difference between bricking and being forced to use a subscription model.
Newbie
Feb 18, 2020
42 posts
43 upvotes
I'm curious but when researching both dont they both have some sort of subscription for using the software? My wife wants one but doesn't want to pay a monthly subscription is either one of them worth it?
Jr. Member
Mar 23, 2015
100 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto, ON
User381785 wrote: And again, that isn't bricking your machine. There's a difference between bricking and being forced to use a subscription model.
Please illustrate the material difference between bricking a machine and preventing regular usage of a product that has already been paid for via the surprise introduction of an extortionate subscription model.
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 27, 2020
6 posts
9 upvotes
You can too but it is priced in USD and I believe you have to pay for shipping unless you are a Cricut Access subscriber. Advantage with Michael's is same day pick up if you live nearby a store verses waiting a week or so for shipping from Cricut directly.
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 27, 2020
6 posts
9 upvotes
NathanP29246 wrote: I'm curious but when researching both dont they both have some sort of subscription for using the software? My wife wants one but doesn't want to pay a monthly subscription is either one of them worth it?
You don't need a subscription for it right now but you do need to use their online software. Will they change their model at a later date? Will they brick it? Perhaps? But right now as it stands the machine can be used without a subscription. Like with all technology these days the threat of bricking is real regardless.
Member
Mar 30, 2016
276 posts
228 upvotes
Keith1411 wrote: The silhouette cameo line has been extremely reliable for me. Ran that sucker almost every day for a year before I upgraded. I'm not sure if you can use third party software though. So there's a chance that Silhouette doesn't learn a thing and goes the Cricut route.
Unlikely, because the Silhouette software is an offline program. You can even revert back and install a prior version if you don't like the new updates. There is a business edition software that unlocks more features (re. different third party software, it also allows you to print and cut directly/built-in from adobe illustrator) but it's a one time fee, not a subscription. Theoretically if they wanted to introduce a subscription you just need to block internet access and you would still be able to use your silhouette. All your designs are saved as files that can be shared via email, USB key, etc.

The cricut is an online platform so you are forced to accept whatever they push to you. All your designs are saved to their cloud so they could cut you off from them. You also can't share your designs with others if they contain images uploaded by you.

That being said the Cricut Maker can work with more materials than the silhouette lineup currently can, so it really depends what you want to use it for.
Last edited by feversugar on Apr 11th, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jr. Member
Feb 27, 2007
140 posts
90 upvotes
pizzaclown wrote: Please illustrate the material difference between bricking a machine and preventing regular usage of a product that has already been paid for via the surprise introduction of an extortionate subscription model.
A bricked device won't start up and usually can't be restored to a bootable state.

In that case, Cricut wouldn't even be able to extort you with a subscription.

Pay to play vs a real brick are not the same.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 26, 2007
2818 posts
909 upvotes
slantyyz wrote: Pay to play vs a real brick are not the same.
I forgot that RFD is a computer science technical journal where these distinctions matter... but it is also a deals site where a good price undermined by customer-hostile business practices effectively bricks... the deal.

Poe-tay-toe, poe-tah-toe.
na na na na na na na na na NA.
Member
User avatar
Aug 20, 2019
409 posts
496 upvotes
London, Ontario
Bubbaloo wrote: I’m old school. Using SCAL2 to direct cut to Cricut Expression. No cartridges or subscriptions required. Finding SCAL2 is tricky ;) but used Expression (not Expression 2) are easy and cheap.
I looked high and /low/ for SCAL2. Glad you were able to find it, I sadly was not.
Newbie
User avatar
Jun 26, 2007
23 posts
54 upvotes
Vancouver
maddmaxx308 wrote: I looked high and /low/ for SCAL2. Glad you were able to find it, I sadly was not.
I just saw this video that says SCAL5 can be made to work on older Cricut cutters. I haven’t tested myself.

Top