[Michaels] Wacom Intuos Creative Pen Tablet $47.97

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2020 3:22 am
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2004
1345 posts
232 upvotes
It's a great price for a great product.

But I'd be surprised if Wacom is still around for the next 3-4 years. Every artist/designer that I know has switched to using an Apple Pencil with an iPad or iPad Pro. Almost everyone has an iPad so buying an additional Apple Pencil becomes a relatively cheap option to draw or use it to take notes.

It feels much more natural since you are drawing directly on the screen vs. drawing on this plastic block and looking at your monitor. With Sidecar function, you can also use it as a Wacom alternative if you really want to.
Jan 19, 2019
33 posts
16 upvotes
For painting/drawing, I highly recommend using a medium/large sized tablet if you can, especially for desktop monitors. Unfortunately, a medium Wacom Intuos is around $210-260.

I've bought this small model before, the size is absolutely apprehensive for my 24" but okay for my 14" laptop.

This price is great for small from Wacom though, I've bought mine around $80 on Amazon before...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
5895 posts
5112 upvotes
nightwalker wrote: It's a great price for a great product.

But I'd be surprised if Wacom is still around for the next 3-4 years. Every artist/designer that I know has switched to using an Apple Pencil with an iPad or iPad Pro. Almost everyone has an iPad so buying an additional Apple Pencil becomes a relatively cheap option to draw or use it to take notes.

It feels much more natural since you are drawing directly on the screen vs. drawing on this plastic block and looking at your monitor. With Sidecar function, you can also use it as a Wacom alternative if you really want to.
Not everyone uses a Mac and not everyone that uses Macs can afford to buy or wants to use an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil.

Yes the iPad Pros and new iMacs are incredibly powerful and would work really well together but to think that every graphic artist/photographer/videographer/etc. will eventually exclusively use macOS and iPadOS devices is a little ridiculous. Without competition Apple won't fair too well with people who don't want to pay through the nose year after year for the same product with a minor upgrade.

I love Apple and some of their products and ideas but it's never going to come to a point where the only option is to get an iMac or MacBook and an iPad Pro w/ Apple Pencil to get the job done.
Jan 19, 2019
33 posts
16 upvotes
kobaja wrote: Do you know if this particular one is any good at for note taking purposes? Wouldn't mind getting this just to do some rough diagrams with notes and mark up pdf's, etc.
I've actually tried taking notes at university with a laptop and discrete tablet (tried a small Wacom and medium Huion.) Having to take notes at a fast pace is difficult at best on a discrete tablet connected to a computer as I easily mess up where I'm writing (having to look at three places at once), especially having to access different pens. Another problem I've encountered is not having enough space to use both devices (a laptop and tablet) which creates a dilemma of having to reposition my tablet whenever I needed my keyboard.

For notes, I really advise using paper/notebooks, iPad or a 2-in-1 PC.

PDF markup, it might be okay, but you'll likely find yourself zooming in a lot.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2009
3053 posts
369 upvotes
Don't be nosey
Do they carry the Wacom Intuos Pro? I wonder if I can apply those 60% off flyer coupons to this..
PSN: RunOrDie226
add me!
Aug 14, 2015
816 posts
530 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
I'll get some hate for this, but it's an overpriced brand selling at a discount. That is what is supposed to be priced at.
Mar 4, 2019
23 posts
49 upvotes
Thanks OP. Just picked one up from Michaels erin mills store. They have picture of the older version in their website but I got the new one. Attaching picture if it helps.
20200704_175506.jpg
Seems to be this one from amazon.
Screenshot_20200704-181145_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Dec 23, 2010
756 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
Gtaphotog wrote: Not everyone uses a Mac and not everyone that uses Macs can afford to buy or wants to use an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil.
Reminds me of this blog I read on how to start a podcast. They were talking about software choices and they showed how this one time at band camp Audacity messed up and therefore you should never use Audacity. So you should just buy a Mac and use Garageband because your engineer will be using logic and hey it just makes sense to be working with compatible files. Plus it's basically the same.. .ya know free (ignore the fact that one of them requires you to buy an Apple machine and only an Apple machine and the other is open source, cross platform and well tested on all the major OSes.)

It was the weirdest ballsiest thing I've read all year.

oh yay I found it - https://mobycast.fm/two-bad-ways-to-rec ... -good-one/

Ugh just rereading it now again is getting me annoyed at how frustrating and just plain wrong it is.
Jul 5, 2011
201 posts
90 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Great price, but for anyone who misses out on the deal and you're looking to get into digital art, for the price you're better off getting a larger huion.

I've used wacom's intuos pro for work and for personal use and they are good but insanely overpriced. I got a huion tablet last year for work and personal use to replace my aging intuos pro, and they work just as well. Huion used to have janky drivers and pens but they've ironed out the problems and they're pretty great drawing tablets now.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1294 posts
612 upvotes
kobaja wrote: Do you know if this particular one is any good at for note taking purposes? Wouldn't mind getting this just to do some rough diagrams with notes and mark up pdf's, etc.
Yes, any graphic tablet, including this one, will work fine for that purpose.

Personally, I'll go with a mouse for what you're thinking of doing. Rough diagrams can be sketch with a mouse without much trouble and marking up pdfs is easier, faster and much more readable with sticky notes or highlight on Acrobat.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
3190 posts
5676 upvotes
Laval
looks like the web page stock is wrong when it reporting out of stock, I ended picking one up in store just now

Oct 4, 2009
273 posts
155 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
2Riskit wrote: looks like the web page stock is wrong when it reporting out of stock, I ended picking one up in store just now

Thanks for this tip! Managed to snag the last one in Vancouver on W. Broadway.

Here's the stock count in the lower mainland:
  • Burnaby - 1
  • West Van - 1
  • North Van -1
  • Abbotsford - 1
Good luck!