Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, Pilot Super Sport, etc

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2021 8:47 am
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31752 posts
18683 upvotes
Toronto
If you are just doing mostly street drivings mainly, you can also consider getting some UHP All seasons too. I moved one notch down from PS 4S to Michelin PS A/S 4 and saved about 50%. After all, the C8 base comes standard with this A/S 4
Last edited by booblehead on Apr 16th, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4635 upvotes
Montréal
booblehead wrote: If you are doing some street drivings mainly, you can also consider getting some UHP All seasons too. I moved one notch down from PS 4S to Michelin PS A/S 4 and saved about 50%. After all, the C8 base comes standard with this A/S 4
Tx for the suggestion. I thought about that as DIY changing tires is a bit of a pita. However, I have dedicated winters, so prefer to have dedicated summers (unless you're saying the equivalent A/S are comparable performance-wise for my type of driving? I have no idea, but if that's correct and there's a big $ savings, for sure I'd consider). I don't mind having better treadlife also.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31752 posts
18683 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote: Tx for the suggestion. I thought about that as DIY changing tires is a bit of a pita. However, I have dedicated winters, so prefer to have dedicated summers (unless you're saying the equivalent A/S are comparable performance-wise for my type of driving? I have no idea, but if that's correct and there's a big $ savings, for sure I'd consider). I don't mind having better treadlife also.
Only you can be the judge of deciding what you really want. I have a 600hp car and I don't go to the track and I drive relatively normal daily, the 4S can be seen as great tires but may be a bit of overkill for my daily use. The A/S 4 is a top of the class in UHP category and if the C8 Corvette is using this tires, then it must have very good performance traits.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31752 posts
18683 upvotes
Toronto

If you want to watch it ... Michelin PS A/S 4 is chosen # 1 on this review
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4635 upvotes
Montréal
Generally-speaking, A/S will last longer than dedicated summers in the summertime, and the opposite re grip? Is treadlife always inversely proportional to grip?
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31752 posts
18683 upvotes
Toronto
That’s pretty well holds true.

UHP summers rubber compound is made in favour of high heat and therefore providing the highest traction and grip. It holds true that this kind of tires will perform very poorly once they are running in real cool weather.

I got nearly 30,000km on my 4s, other brands in the same peer group may get around 20-25,000km I would think. I found the 4S does not have good traction/grip in the wet at all which other reviews have suggested the same
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2197 posts
1245 upvotes
Vancouver
tranquility922 wrote: Lots of great posts here. I'm just getting confused though. Some say it's ok to mix, some say no way! Falkens, Contis, Indys *head spinning* lol.

I'm just wondering if I am overspending for something I'm not really using. Supposedly the PSS/4S are the best but I'm not going hard on the streets, so will all those advantages even be manifested? I actually never noticed before and need to check my old bills, but $450/tire seems pretty steep, I don't remember a pair being close to $1K before, not to mention it seems they wore out quite fast(!) compare to previous times.

Ideally, I would like to SAFELY mix because I don't want to bother going on kijiji to sell my remaining front PSSs or having them 'wasted' if I must get a full set.

WWYD guys if you were me? What rears or all 4 would you get? Maybe I'll start a poll, these are the candidates so far?
.Indy 500
.Yoko Advan V105
.Falken FK510
.Michelin 4S
.Conti Extreme CS
+whether to mix or not
Have you even priced out some of the tires mentioned in this thread. Price everything out that would be the first place to start.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32935 posts
14648 upvotes
Conti Extreme Sport will give you like 95% the performance of the Michelins at like 75% the price. It's a good option. Just note that Conti doesn't have nearly as good a warranty as Michelin--Conti warranty is void as soon as you have a puncture repair for example, meanwhile Michelin offers free roadside with their tyres (little known tidbit). That alone goes to explain some of the price difference.

Stuff like the FK510, Indy 500, and don't forget the General G-Max RS, those are a tier below, but will cost like half of what the Michelins do. These are all more than enough for most people as well, for street driving.

If you want to spend the money for the Michelins then there's no denying they will be excellent, however if you're concerned about cost go with the Contis. If "on a budget" or you'd just rather prefer to spend a lot less, go with any of the Falken, Firestone or General. You can also add Kumho PS91 to the list as well if you'd like.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4587 posts
4828 upvotes
GTA
kev604 wrote: Have you even priced out some of the tires mentioned in this thread. Price everything out that would be the first place to start.
Good point. I think OP just needs to shop around a bit more. Simple Tire has the 4S in 255/35R18 for $355/ea. The Continental ExtremeContact Sport for $305/ea. Not $450 like OP found so far.

http://www.simplytire.com/tires18.html

I think OP's mind would be at ease with a pair of 4S and call it a day.

edit: I see OP is in MTL. Not familiar with any tire shops there. But I know the Canadian online tire places are based in QC (4tires, quattrotires, blackcircles). Surprisingly, their price and selection in that size and performance category isn't great. I found the Michelin for $400 and the Continental for $350.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4635 upvotes
Montréal
derass wrote: I think OP's mind would be at ease with a pair of 4S and call it a day.
Haha, I think so too but I suddenly realized that they are almost $1K all-in for a pair and they wore crazy fast, so that's why I made this thread lol.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4587 posts
4828 upvotes
GTA
If tread life is your most important criteria, then you need to move down from the Max Performance Summer category.

In terms of tread life:

Max Perf. Summer < Ultra High Perf. Summer < Ultra High Perf. All-Season < Grand Touring Summer < Grand Touring All-Season

However, grip is that same order, but in reverse. So it depends on how much grip and performance you are willing to lose as you gain tread life.

And if you decide to move down a category or more, you will need a set of 4 tires. I would only condone mixing tires front and rear from the same performance category. That might negate any cost savings of getting a pair of 4S. But you gain treadlife, so you still might come out ahead in the long-run.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2197 posts
1245 upvotes
Vancouver
ES_Revenge wrote: Stuff like the FK510, Indy 500, and don't forget the General G-Max RS, those are a tier below, but will cost like half of what the Michelins do. These are all more than enough for most people as well, for street driving.
That's what I'm trying to tell OP all along those tires are probably 90% of the PS4S at 50%-60% of the price. The PS4S are probably overkill based on OPs needs but OP seems hell bent on the PS4S. Also IMHO rather than replacing a pair of PS4S for the same cost he can purchase a brand new set of 4 INDY 500, FK510, G Max RS etc and would be much better off.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4635 upvotes
Montréal
kev604 wrote: That's what I'm trying to tell OP all along those tires are probably 90% of the PS4S at 50%-60% of the price. The PS4S are probably overkill based on OPs needs but OP seems hell bent on the PS4S. Also IMHO rather than replacing a pair of PS4S for the same cost he can purchase a brand new set of 4 INDY 500, FK510, G Max RS etc and would be much better off.
Dude, quite the opposite, I'm not hellbent at all lol, hence this thread for alternatives.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
16790 posts
6376 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Mixing tires is never safe, even if it's from the same tire brand. If you're just looking for a new set of street tires, I wouldn't bother with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I'm personally going to be on my second set of the Falken Azenis FK510, going from 225/40R18 to 235/45R17. I absolutely love them for street use. The grip is great, even when it's nearly bald in the wet. In the dry, it provides quite a bit of grip. The sidewall is definitely on the softer side so it's a very comfortable street tire. Let's not forget it costs just more than half as much as the Continental or Michelin. I was quoted $620 tax included for a set of Falken FK510 compared to $1,020 tax included for the PS4S at 225/40R18. I'm sure the price went up a bit now as pre-season price is over. Only reason I'm on my second set already is because I tracked them the first year I had them. While the sidewalls are soft, I still enjoyed them very much.

Now if you're looking for street tires that you can also track with, then this video will help a lot. I'm actually surprised the Goodyear tires did as well as it did in the dry as a dual duty tire.

[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4635 upvotes
Montréal
geokilla wrote: Mixing tires is never safe, even if it's from the same tire brand.
Tx for your advice. Actually, your above reminded me of what I wrote earlier, that I indeed did a mix w PSS up front and 4S in the rear and I didn't notice anything bad, so I wonder how much holds true (the dealer even said they are close enough to be mixed)?

Given how little I think I'm gonna drive, I might try to squeeze 1 more season out of my 4Ss before deciding. So many options/variations.
Oct 25, 2020
438 posts
369 upvotes
kev604 wrote: I've been running a set of INDY 500 on my wife's car for a few years now and driven them through the worst rain that Vancouver weather can throw at them and speaking from experience they are excellent in the wet.

The Falken FK510 cost a fraction of the PS4S but offer high level of performance. I had a set of Falken FK453 before it was superseded by the FK510 it was an excellent street tire.

The Yokohama V105 have been around for a while they were good tires for their time than I think they were replaced by the Fleva V701 also a good tire. I picked up a set of the new Yokohama Advan Apex v601 from Quattro tires it is supposed to be their best street tire yet going to have them mounted next Friday can't wait to give them a go.

Take any treadwear rating with a grain of salt there is no industry standard for measuring treadwear rating so basically the manufacturer does its own tests and determines its own numbers.

RT660 is a track tire I doubt you'll get 2 summers out of them. Amazing dry grip but not the best on wet. If you daily your car than these won't make sense.
My issue with the FK510 is their aimed more at luxury sedans. They grip pretty good, they just don't feel responsive due to soft sidewalls. I considered them until finding that out via reviews and other people who ran them on the same car.

I just mounted my V105s today. They have noticeably siffter sidewalls than the PS4S that I took off. Turn in feel as a result is great. I'd probably compare sidewall stiffness to the Indy 500s you are currently running on your other vehicle. They're a bit louder in terms of road noise as well than PS4s.

I had planned to buy a set of Indy's my self until a set of these Yoko's popped up locally for $440 which was $200 cheaper than the indys I planned to buy. There is no direct comparison but I imagine V105s should perform on par with Indy's if not better.

Im using these as burners this year for autocross and a bit of track use. Not looking for competitive times, just want to get some seat time. I haven't heard much about the V601s but they look pretty sticky looking at intial info. The advan a052 look like the new king of the time attack 200tw class now that the bridgestone RE71 is being discontinued.

With competitive use two seasons on RT660 would be fine by me. I also have two sets of summer wheels, one with sticky UHP tires and my stock set.

Conti just released a new 200tw tire as well, The extreme contact force. While not relevant to this thread I figured I mention them on the topic of rubber. Looks interesting as it's aimed at the Hankook RS4 endurance tire.
Last edited by MyGoToUserName on Apr 22nd, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4635 upvotes
Montréal
^Hey, no, what you wrote is relevant ITT and helps me gain more knowledge. Love to read more personal exp w the various performance summer/AS tires. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2197 posts
1245 upvotes
Vancouver
MyGoToUserName wrote: My issue with the FK510 is their aimed more at luxury sedans. They grip pretty good, they just don't feel responsive due to soft sidewalls. I considered them until finding that out via reviews and other people who ran them on the same car.

I just mounted my V105s today. They have noticeably siffter sidewalls than the PS4S that I took off. Turn in feel as a result is great. I'd probably compare sidewall stiffness to the Indy 500s you are currently running on your other vehicle. They're a bit louder in terms of road noise as well than PS4s.

I had planned to buy a set of Indy's my self until a set of these Yoko's popped up locally for $440 which was $200 cheaper than the indys I planned to buy. There is no direct comparison but I imagine V105s should perform on par with Indy's if not better.

Im using these as burners this year for autocross and a bit of track use. Not looking for competitive times, just want to get some seat time. I haven't heard much about the V601s but they look pretty sticky looking at intial info. The advan a052 look like the new king of the time attack 200tw class now that the bridgestone RE71 is being discontinued.

With competitive use two seasons on RT660 would be fine by me. I also have two sets of summer wheels, one with sticky UHP tires and my stock set.

Conti just released a new 200tw tire as well, The extreme contact force. While not relevant to this thread I figured I mention them on the topic of rubber. Looks interesting as it's aimed at the Hankook RS4 endurance tire.
I have a sneaky feeling FK510 will be more than adequate for OPs application that's why I keep mentioning them. PS4S are overkill for most people who buy them. I did consider RE71 and RT660 but both tires are a little dicey on the wet and I'm in Vancouver so that could be a problem lol also getting maybe 2 summers of use out of them doesn't cut it for me anymore. Sadly the years of changing tires every 1 or 2 summers is over for me. I finally got my Advan Apex v601 mounted today I'll do a review on here once I have more seat time with those tires.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31752 posts
18683 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah. Ps4s is great in dry weather traction and handling, not so much in wet weather at all.
Oct 25, 2020
438 posts
369 upvotes
I personally found PS4S great in the wet when they were new. After they start to wear down a few 32nds the wet performance drastically gets worse.

Definitely worth noting if you want a tire that is more consistent over the life of its use.

Contact patch probably makes a difference here as well. I ran them in 215/45R17. A much wider contact patch will have more hydroplane issues.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)