Wheels and Tires

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, Pilot Super Sport, etc

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2021 8:47 am
Sep 20, 2010
46 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
I rock Michelin PSS on my 997, they are great in many ways, defiantly a premium product but competition these days is stiff.

Many decent options from GoodYear, Bridgestone, Falken and even Hankook.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4029 posts
4167 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
geokilla wrote: Mixing tires is never safe, even if it's from the same tire brand. If you're just looking for a new set of street tires, I wouldn't bother with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I'm personally going to be on my second set of the Falken Azenis FK510, going from 225/40R18 to 235/45R17. I absolutely love them for street use. The grip is great, even when it's nearly bald in the wet. In the dry, it provides quite a bit of grip. The sidewall is definitely on the softer side so it's a very comfortable street tire. Let's not forget it costs just more than half as much as the Continental or Michelin. I was quoted $620 tax included for a set of Falken FK510 compared to $1,020 tax included for the PS4S at 225/40R18. I'm sure the price went up a bit now as pre-season price is over. Only reason I'm on my second set already is because I tracked them the first year I had them. While the sidewalls are soft, I still enjoyed them very much.
To me it honestly comes down to budget. If you have money to blow then its a no brainer to get the PS4S, I don't think anyone will argue with it. My dad has 2 cars with them on summers and he's really happy. I went FK510 because like you it was about half the price of the PS4S and at the time I was doing 90% highway commuting so who cares. No doubt the PS4S is a better tire, but it's no where near twice as good.

Now that I'm not doing much/any highway driving its tempting to get the PS4S next time I need new summers since I know they'll last way longer.
Apr 5, 2010
928 posts
203 upvotes
Sure, if you've got the cash for 10/10 performance then get the PS4S or Pirelli Pzeros. If you're just pushing corners here and there and just want a fun to drive tire, I'm plenty happy with Kumho PS71, Falken FK, Firestone Indy 500s.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32935 posts
14648 upvotes
Ecsta wrote: To me it honestly comes down to budget. If you have money to blow then its a no brainer to get the PS4S, I don't think anyone will argue with it. My dad has 2 cars with them on summers and he's really happy. I went FK510 because like you it was about half the price of the PS4S and at the time I was doing 90% highway commuting so who cares. No doubt the PS4S is a better tire, but it's no where near twice as good.
Sounds about right but I'm surprised...shouldn't you have gotten this instead of the Falken?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... Ecsta+PS91

:D
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4029 posts
4167 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
ES_Revenge wrote: Sounds about right but I'm surprised...shouldn't you have gotten this instead of the Falken?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... Ecsta+PS91

:D
Haha I know right? Actually years and years ago when I trying to think of a username for battle.net I looked around and had a Kumho poster on the wall and boom, Ecsta was born. I should try out those tires on my golf..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)