Wheels and Tires

Michelin (X-Ice Snow, $185) vs. Pirelli (WINTER ICE ZERO FR, $148)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2020 12:56 pm
[OP]
Jul 28, 2017
303 posts
460 upvotes

Michelin (X-Ice Snow, $185) vs. Pirelli (WINTER ICE ZERO FR, $148)

Costco is having a sale on both Michelin (X-Ice Snow, $185) and Pirelli (WINTER ICE ZERO FR, $148). They are giving $100 Costco gift card when you buy a set of 4 tires. The Michelin is 4 x $37 more than the Pirelli. I am wondering if the extra cost is worth the incremental performance? It is for a 2011 Toyota Matrix AWD (205/55R16) and will be driven mostly in Edmonton.
9 replies
Oct 25, 2020
272 posts
193 upvotes
Both are top quality. I don't think the Michelin is $150 better.($170 if you factor HST)

They score pretty similarly, but the Pirelli should work better in deeper snow. I've ran the Pirelli in the same exact fitment on a low RWD car in Ottawa and had no issues.

That price is pretty good for Costco. Wholesalers like 4tires list the ice zero around $143 and you don't get the Costco warranty.

Edit: misread that it's the newer xice snow. They're said to be better in snow, but there isn't much real world Data available yet.
Last edited by MyGoToUserName on Nov 4th, 2020 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1831 posts
856 upvotes
Ontario
I've never had much luck with Pirelli's (either summers or winters, both seem to get very hard as they wear) but not tried any in a few years now. I'd still go with the Michelin X-Ice Snows over them though imho...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15391 posts
3707 upvotes
Toronto
PMC Tire ranked them as follows: https://pmctire.com/en/info/evaluations ... inter.tire

I think either one will be fine. Save the $$ and use it towards general car maintenance like new wiper blades, checking battery and coolant, getting the brakes serviced if needed.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
3116 posts
1201 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have the Pirelli Winter Ice Zero since 2017, very quiet and never had issue on snow
Feb 13, 2020
87 posts
28 upvotes
All threads talk about Michelin xice , seems no one is interested in pirelli even though they are cheaper
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3721 posts
2317 upvotes
Ravibhatia wrote: All threads talk about Michelin xice , seems no one is interested in pirelli even though they are cheaper
Everyone wants the newest item. Look at the PS5 threads.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3204 posts
3143 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I've had horrible luck/trouble with Pirelli winters so I'll never buy Pirelli again. They do not stand behind their product in any way with their warranties, they're a nightmare to deal with even if you have a legit claim unless your paperwork is absolutely perfect don't bother submitting a claim. Michelin are much easier to deal with. Ask your tire shop which they would rather submit a warranty claim on.

Also the x-ice snow's are getting incredible reviews, I would spend the extra money.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6545 posts
2104 upvotes
I've used both and can't complain about either. I had X-Ices on my previous Matrix and then Winter Zeros after. Both offer good stopping distance and greater confidence in winter conditions. I currently have Winter Zeros on my Camry TRD. Have yet to drive in snow but no complaints again so far.