Michelin X-Ice3 vs Pirelli Win Ice Zero

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2018 7:10 pm
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes

Michelin X-Ice3 vs Pirelli Win Ice Zero

Can get the X-Ice3 all in for 650 (-70$ costco card)

or Win Ice Zero for 580 (-40$ costco card).

So a difference of $40.

RFD pirelli-ice-zero-fr-mini-review-2063840/ seems to like the Win Ice Zero while some were saying the x-ice3 are not that great. This website also puts both tires pretty on par https://www.4tires.ca/best-winter-tires

Any strong opinions on these? I also live in Vancouver, so snow is not really much of a problem, but thinking of hitting the mountain this season. Temps here can quite often go above 7c during winter months.
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
If you're in Vancouver, you're better off with the X-ICE3.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
With all the rain, I would choose a winter performance tire with a more open tread design...definitely NOT the Michelin XIce Xi3 which has more of a closed tread design. Probably something like the Continental WinterContact Si. Not familiar with the Winter Ice Zero.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Sinasta wrote: Why if in Vancouver?
Better treadwear for warmer weather.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
Tire needs to be very good on rain as well since there's a lot of rain here. And wet snow, which is completely different than prairie snow or even ON/QC type of snow. I think ice traction would be the least of the factors.

But like dealseaker said, treadwear can be important too. They say bellow 7c, which honestly I think it's still high (probably to boost their winter tire sales), and here it's not so rare when 10c in middle of February can happen.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
Messerschmitt wrote: Tire needs to be very good on rain as well since there's a lot of rain here. And wet snow, which is completely different than prairie snow or even ON/QC type of snow. I think ice traction would be the least of the factors.

But like dealseaker said, treadwear can be important too. They say bellow 7c, which honestly I think it's still high (probably to boost their winter tire sales), and here it's not so rare when 10c in middle of February can happen.
Why not a good all weather tire? I have lived in Prince Rupert many years ago where it rained about 8 feet per year on average...makes Vancouver look dry at about 5 feet per year.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
DavidY wrote: Why not a good all weather tire? I have lived in Prince Rupert many years ago where it rained about 8 feet per year on average...makes Vancouver look dry at about 5 feet per year.
Was planning to do some skiing which involves going up the mountain where the road can be snowy. And Costco had those prices which I think it's quite ok?

What tires do you have in mind? I currently have the Continental PureContact and I'm very pleased with them, good handling, good treadwear (25k kms on them and it barely looks used), but obviously not that greatest in snow. Really feels like a waste buying separate tires, but I mean all it takes is one slide for an accident and just destroying that day if God forbid it happens.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
Messerschmitt wrote: Was planning to do some skiing which involves going up the mountain where the road can be snowy. And Costco had those prices which I think it's quite ok?

What tires do you have in mind? I currently have the Continental PureContact and I'm very pleased with them, good handling, good treadwear (25k kms on them and it barely looks used), but obviously not that greatest in snow. Really feels like a waste buying separate tires, but I mean all it takes is one slide for an accident and just destroying that day if God forbid it happens.
Continental ExtremeContact DWS is suppose to be one of the better all/three season tires in snow/winter conditions.

For all weather, see thread in ritzrv's post. With a good all weather tire that has the mountain snowflake, you shouldn't be stopped on your way to the area ski hills like Whistler or the mountains in the northshore.

Dave
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
DavidY wrote: Continental ExtremeContact DWS is suppose to be one of the better all/three season tires in snow/winter conditions.

For all weather, see thread in ritzrv's post. With a good all weather tire that has the mountain snowflake, you shouldn't be stopped on your way to the area ski hills like Whistler or the mountains in the northshore.

Dave
All those all season or all weather? I wonder if they have the snowflake.

I think I'm focusing now on actually getting a good set of all-weather. Browsed through the thread ritzcrv posted.

Michelin CrossClimate+ seems to be the best of the best, while Toyo Celsius is as an alternative, sometimes on par with the Nokian WRG4.

The Continental AllSeasonContact seems to be the best of the best http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Conti ... ontact.htm but not available in NA. Darn...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
Messerschmitt wrote: All those all season or all weather? I wonder if they have the snowflake.

I think I'm focusing now on actually getting a good set of all-weather. Browsed through the thread ritzcrv posted.

Michelin CrossClimate+ seems to be the best of the best, while Toyo Celsius is as an alternative, sometimes on par with the Nokian WRG4.

The Continental AllSeasonContact seems to be the best of the best http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Conti ... ontact.htm but not available in NA. Darn...
I personally don't like the closed tread design of the CrossClimate+...an open tread design is a must have for Metro Vancouver. The Toyo Celsius looks better to me. The Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady doesn't look bad either.

Dave
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
Thanks all for the comments. Unfortunately the Toyo's were not reviewed in the UK tyre review, but they got the CrossClimate+ as 2nd place, and the weather there is similar to Vancouver and west coast.

Anyway... Considering that the Continental AllSeasonContact are not available in the US, and the CrossClimate+ are significantly more expensive than the Toyo's at 16" (wish I had 15" rims), in the end I guess I'll be going with the Toyo Celsius. My OEM all season are almost bald, so if I go with a winter tire, I'll need to buy another set of all season anyway. Then a pure winter feels such a waste of money for the 2-3 days of snow and a few trips to the mountain, so I think the Toyo Celsius seems to be the best fit in the end. And with pure winters I would've need to buy a set of 15" steelies anyway so I can swap them twice a year and not pay $200 for the 2 swaps.

So unless a better suggestions comes up, I'll be buying the Celsius, probably tomorrow. Almost $100 cheaper than Michelin CrossClimate or Nokian WRG4 for my OEM 16" alloy.
Feb 6, 2018
122 posts
36 upvotes
So did you get the Toyo Celsius? How' their performance?
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
I barely have 100km on them and haven't touched snow so can't comment much. They are quite quiet though.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)