Students

Michener Institute - 2020 Applications

[OP]
Mar 6, 2015
690 posts
50 upvotes

Michener Institute - 2020 Applications

As some of the posters already started discussing the 2020-21 program, I am going to open a new thread anyway. I added minimal number of tags so go ahead adding more.
Links:
Michener Institute - Med Lab Tech (one hundred and sixty four 164 plus pages)
Michener Institute application 2014
Michener Institute application 2015
Michener Institute application 2016
Michener Institute application 2017
Michener Institute application 2018
Michener Institute application 2019
Bicarb wrote: I applied to [...] Michener [...] However, I have applied to Cambrian, st. Clair, and st. Lawrence...
Does it makes sense to consider programs at Cambrian College, Conestoga College, St. Clair College, St. Lawrence College? Black Question Mark OrnamentSmiling Face With Open Mouth :rolleyes:
Last edited by cybercavalier on Apr 30th, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
298 replies
Dec 14, 2019
6 posts
8 upvotes
Hi, 2020 MLS applicant here. In previous posts I noticed there were many different opinions on how the MLS program calculates admission grades (high school only / university cGPA / whichever's higher / both are important). I was curious myself too so I emailed Michener about it and I thought I should share their response. Keep in mind I only asked for the MLS program and I don't know if this applies to respiratory therapy or other programs that require high school grades as well.

1. They only care about your 6 required high school grades (English, math, chem, and bio/physics + 2 additional) if they are above 70%
2. If you took more than one Gr. 12 math they'll take the highest one
3. If you have less than 70% in the required high school courses and have university experience then they'll take your university grade of >65% instead (they didn't specify which university course but I'm assuming 1st year general sciences)
4. Otherwise your university marks don't matter at all but you still need cGPA of >2.7

I also heard from the open house the cutoff for 2019 MLS was near 80.

If you're applying to other MLS schools too you should email them to see what they do. Apparently St. Lawrence looks at both high school and university marks.

Good luck everyone! And if anyone else is applying from London ON let's practice for MMI together! LOL
Feb 1, 2020
1 posts
1 upvote
Hello everyone. I'm new in Canada. I got my medical degree overseas (I'm gynecologist) and now permanent resident here in Canada. People keep saying here that it is almost impossible to get into the residency after passing exams so I decided to give a try and get into the Ultrasound program in Michener.

I don't know if i got it right that Michener except only ~25 ppl once a year to the UltraSound program? How hard is it to get into this program? My GPA from university is 3.65. English/IELTS around 6.5 now, I still have to pass it and evaluate my documents.

I'm trying to figure out what are are my chances to get into Ultrasound from the 1st attempt, or is it more like a lottery? I'm very worried if this going to take couple years just to get into the program.
Feb 8, 2020
7 posts
3 upvotes
Hi everyone! Good look on you applications.

I’m a graduate of kinesiology and have a cumulative of GPA of 3.0. For my prerequisites I got an A in physiology and B+ in anatomy. I applied to the Ultrasound Program.

Does anyone know what my chances are?
Apr 9, 2019
13 posts
11 upvotes
Mel555 wrote: Hi everyone! Good look on you applications.

I’m a graduate of kinesiology and have a cumulative of GPA of 3.0. For my prerequisites I got an A in physiology and B+ in anatomy. I applied to the Ultrasound Program.

Does anyone know what my chances are?
Ultrasound is pretty competitive, I applied last year with a 3.2ish GPA and really good scores on the pre-reqs and I didn't even get an interview. Hopefully, in your case it's different! I hope I did not discourage you.
Mar 5, 2020
2 posts
Does anyone have access to the michener portal to view the status of your application? On their site it says you should get some info in feb
Mar 29, 2020
6 posts
6 upvotes
I just received an email from Michener about an update on interviews! Check your inbox/junk folder.
Mar 29, 2020
3 posts
2 upvotes
From the 2019 forum there was someone wait-listed for ultrasound with a cgpa of 3.7 and MMI of 80%. So I'm guessing not that high. Sorry.
Mar 29, 2020
1 posts
I did not get an email! Now I’m freaking out ... what did it say?
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
1142 posts
227 upvotes
mshook wrote: I did not get an email! Now I’m freaking out ... what did it say?
Dear Michener Applicant,

I’m writing with regard to the 2020 Fall admissions process. Due to the current COVID-19 situation, and specifically the current and expected limitations on large gatherings, the on-site MMIs scheduled for the week of April 27th for the Michener-based* programs are cancelled.

*Applicants who have also applied to the joint Medical Radiation Sciences programs with the University of Toronto will be advised separately regarding alternatives to MMIs for 2020 admission.

In the absence of the MMIs, Fall 2020 admission decisions will be based upon the following criteria:

§ Admission to the Cardiovascular Perfusion, Chiropody*, Diagnostic Cytology, Genetics Technology and Ultrasound* will be based upon the combined score of applicant Cumulative GPA (CGPA) and Checklist; and

§ Admission to the Respiratory Therapy and Medical Laboratory Science programs will be on the basis of GPA only.

*Chiropody and Ultrasound applicants can find the checklists on the admission requirement page:

https://michener.ca/admissions/applying ... uirements/

In all cases, top ranked applicants will continue to be offered seats first.

At this time, Admissions staff are solely focused on assessing applications and expect that process to be complete in early April. Once complete, Admissions will:

§ Send Self-Service Portal credentials and instructions for qualified applicants to view their admission status; and

§ Notify applicants who do not meet admission requirements of their missing requirements.

Offers of Admission will commence in mid-April with deposits due June 1.

We understand this is an uncertain and stressful time for students preparing to attend Michener in the Fall and we are committed to providing options for applicants whose final grades for admission may be affected by the disruption at educational institutions globally. We will work with individual applicants to resolve these on a case-by-case basis.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we modify our admission processes as fairly as possible in this evolving time. Please stay tuned to Michener.ca for updates and feel free to reach out the regoffice@michener.ca with any specific questions.

Regards,

Cathy Carson, MA
Registrar
Apr 3, 2020
3 posts
markham, ON
Did anyone here apply to the Michener/UofT joint program?
Apr 7, 2020
11 posts
Anyone applied to nuclear medicine? A little worried about this year's interview :/
Apr 7, 2020
11 posts
Rhyo22 wrote: Did anyone here apply to the Michener/UofT joint program?
i applied to nuclear medicine! You?