Michener Institute Of Applied Sciences Admissions 2015 Forum

[OP]
May 3, 2014
7 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

Michener Institute Of Applied Sciences Admissions 2015 Forum

Hey Everyone !
I have created this thread to facilitate dialogue among all students that have applied to any Michener Institute Fall 2015 program.

I applied to:
-Respiratory Therapy

Would be nice to hear some thoughts from those individuals who have gotten into the program. I am applying with 85% average. I know that the MMI is worth 50%.
198 replies
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
6 upvotes
Halifax, NS
PaulineG381 wrote: Hey Everyone !
I have created this thread to facilitate dialogue among all students that have applied to any Michener Institute Fall 2015 program.

I applied to:
-Respiratory Therapy

Would be nice to hear some thoughts from those individuals who have gotten into the program. I am applying with 85% average. I know that the MMI is worth 50%.
Hi Pauline,

I applied to the MLT program. I already have a BSc in Microbiology and Immunology from Dal.

Being from the East I know noone in the area, so if anyone is in a similar situation and is looking for roommates shoot me a message.
Jan 26, 2015
2 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hey Guys,

I'm in the first year of the Diagnostic Cytology program. If you have any general questions regarding the Admissions process or specific questions regarding the DC program, I will check back in periodically to help out if I can.
Jan 15, 2015
20 posts
14 upvotes
North York, ON
I've applied to the Medical Lab Science program. Chances of acceptance will be slim from what I'm hearing (thousands of applicants, high competition etc.) So I also applied to St Clair and St Lawrence just in case. Anybody have experience at these schools? Debating which to go to if I don't get accepted to Michener.
Feb 12, 2015
6 posts
Ottawa, ON
I've applied to the respiratory therapy program as well at Michener. I'm in my third year in an undergraduate program right now. First time applying to Michener so not really sure what to expect! Does anyone know how many people applied last year compared to how many were accepted? Good luck to everyone!
Jan 8, 2014
12 posts
Toronto
As far as I have heard St. Clair is good, getting into Michener is crazy hard, even if attend the MMI, so I planned to not to waste my time on Michener by attending it. I heard from my friends NAIT is good too.
Feb 16, 2015
1 posts
Toronto
Applied to Michener for RT program. Got my HBSc from UofT last year. less than 3.0 cGPA but last two year's GPA is 3.4. Good luck to all!
Jan 8, 2014
12 posts
Toronto
All the best, I heard from my friend RT program is really good.
Jan 8, 2014
12 posts
Toronto
Best School for MLT is Centennial College. Best School for MLS, as for as considering admission process, St.Clair is best, where my dudes are studying. If you are really want to be a MLS, go ahead and apply for MLS through ontariocolleges.ca but if you are still unsure, better take your time explore the career, talk with local laboratories, or else get hands on working experience as lab assistant in private labs, where they will hire with your high school education itself, and see how it works for you. Many of my friends got admitted into MLS and later on quited because they find it;s not their cup of tea, and move into nursing programs. If your big intetion is to make a lot of money, I would recomment not to take MLS because a lot of other programs bring you a larger salary like RN, Pharamacists with less hard work than MLS.
Oct 21, 2014
71 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON
When do they start sending out MMI invitations?
Oct 21, 2014
71 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So far i have been waitlisted at St Lawrence and accepted at Cambrian. Michener is my number one choice seeing how its a half hour car ride there. Tuition fees are insanely high at Michener though, same can be said for Cambrian. 2015-2016 Tuition fee @ St Lawrence is 4k, Cambrian is 6.3k and Michener is around 7k.
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
6 upvotes
Halifax, NS
woof122 wrote: So far i have been waitlisted at St Lawrence and accepted at Cambrian. Michener is my number one choice seeing how its a half hour car ride there. Tuition fees are insanely high at Michener though, same can be said for Cambrian. 2015-2016 Tuition fee @ St Lawrence is 4k, Cambrian is 6.3k and Michener is around 7k.
It seems the money you'd save on living from home would be more than the difference in tuitions.

That raises a question for me, given I'm from New Brunswick: I applied to all of these schools - do you think the best option would be the cheapest of the three or does the price reflect the educational quality of the institute?
Jan 8, 2014
12 posts
Toronto
I got wait listed for St. Clair, feeling anxious to get admitted soon. St. Clair is best institute for MLT - good teaching, modern lab and nominal fees. Fees at Michener at crazy high and getting admitted into it is not easier. I don't think St. Lawrence and Cambrian are better than St. Clair.
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
78 upvotes
muruga wrote: I got wait listed for St. Clair, feeling anxious to get admitted soon. St. Clair is best institute for MLT - good teaching, modern lab and nominal fees. Fees at Michener at crazy high and getting admitted into it is not easier. I don't think St. Lawrence and Cambrian are better than St. Clair.
I might be biased but what are you going off of for St.Clair being the best institute for MLT? I would say wherever you can get in is great in the end but I went to Michener and I was fine paying the fees and enjoyed my education. The entire school is healthcare based so the students tend to be older and it's a more "mature" school compared to some colleges. We also had a lot instrumentation and had a summer simulation semester where the lab floor turns into a mini hospital as practice for clinical. That's where a lot of the costs go because you're having to pay instructors, reagents, instruments etc.

Lituation you might have problems getting into St.Lawrence, Cambrian and St.Clair because they typically accept Ontario students first (at least that how it was when I applied) and they get more than enough applicants. Michener is funded by the Ministry of Health so they can accept out of province students (like myself and a lot of my class)