Students

Michener Institute - Med Lab Tech

Nov 13, 2010
110 posts
1 upvote
dragon_drift wrote: i guess diploma<degree, eh?
I would say there wouldn't be much of an extra benefit of doing a degree. It might look better on paper but you'd graduate with the same credentials as someone with a diploma. Might be worth it if you didn't already have a degree.
Apr 20, 2011
11 posts
Windsor
dragon_drift wrote: GO APPLY FOR 2 MORE NOW!!

I've applied for an extra program after the deadline last year. Shouldn't be a problem if you talk to them.

You can try, but most med lab science programs are oversubscribed. I think the only one that's left is Cambrian College up in Sudbury Ontario and that's waitlisted at the moment.

Also, I don't know if it's that big of a difference if you choose one of the diploma programs over the degree program at UOIT (people in the field can correct me if I'm wrong). When it comes to write the final exam to get licensed, all the colleges and universities have fairly good pass rates (UOIT actually had one of the worst in the past, but has since improved). Although the university degree I guess would help if you choose to go into research down the road.

Lastly, there's also a concurrent degree between St. Clair College and the University of Windsor (spend some time at the college and university). You end up graduating with a diploma and degree.

It's why I used all 5 of my choices to apply to all of the Med Lab Science programs in Ontario. Including out-of-province programs. I'm dead set on getting into an accredited Med Lab Science program one way or another. :cheesygri
Jan 16, 2012
44 posts
3 upvotes
chinesedevil wrote: Dam I shoulda applied for more schools :confused: Seems like everyone is applying to more than one.

you can still apply.. you won't get equal consideration but can apply.
Jan 16, 2012
44 posts
3 upvotes
JCorben wrote: You can try, but most med lab science programs are oversubscribed. I think the only one that's left is Cambrian College up in Sudbury Ontario and that's waitlisted at the moment.

Also, I don't know if it's that big of a difference if you choose one of the diploma programs over the degree program at UOIT (people in the field can correct me if I'm wrong). When it comes to write the final exam to get licensed, all the colleges and universities have fairly good pass rates (UOIT actually had one of the worst in the past, but has since improved). Although the university degree I guess would help if you choose to go into research down the road.

Lastly, there's also a concurrent degree between St. Clair College and the University of Windsor (spend some time at the college and university). You end up graduating with a diploma and degree.

It's why I used all 5 of my choices to apply to all of the Med Lab Science programs in Ontario. Including out-of-province programs. I'm dead set on getting into an accredited Med Lab Science program one way or another. :cheesygri

really? is that program good? I don't know I applied to it for Michener and UOIT. I got into UOIT but waiting for Michener ugh!
May 12, 2008
412 posts
44 upvotes
Hey guys,

Just a quick comment about patient interaction, since I noticed some people commenting on wanting to be an MLT due to the lack of it...
While it's true you won't deal with patients very often, keep in mind that the job still involves a lot of interaction with doctors, residents, nurses, etc.
I work in a micro lab and i would say I spend about 20% of my day making phonecalls. You have to call critical results to doctors, nurses, infection control, ministry of health, etc. You also have to take a lot of phone calls and discuss things with doctors and residents.
If you are in a training hospital, you will have a lot of interaction with doctors and residents. You will also have to deal with colleagues who aren't necessarily your co-workers (for example, I might deal with people working in parasitology or mycology). So, this isnt the same as direct patient interaction, but you certainly aren't working alone, doing your own thing.
Depending on what discipline you end up in, there is also some patient interaction...in hematology you may have to attend bone marrow biopsies, in micro sometimes we attend corneal scrapings, and in histo you may have to work directly with doctors if you are in surgical pathology.
Just something to think about in case you were thinking an MLT gets to hide out in a basement somewhere :razz:
Nov 24, 2011
25 posts
3 upvotes
Montreal
fergrocks wrote: My average for the pre-reqs is 90-something. However, my undergrad gpa is terrible and I'm afraid that will be something that will hold me back :/. I know that having an undergrad is not a pre-req to the program but they may very well take a look at my grades and doubt my ability to do well in the program. We'll see, only time can tell...
Nov 24, 2011
25 posts
3 upvotes
Montreal
JaneSmith wrote: Hey guys,

Just a quick comment about patient interaction, since I noticed some people commenting on wanting to be an MLT due to the lack of it...
While it's true you won't deal with patients very often, keep in mind that the job still involves a lot of interaction with doctors, residents, nurses, etc.
I work in a micro lab and i would say I spend about 20% of my day making phonecalls. You have to call critical results to doctors, nurses, infection control, ministry of health, etc. You also have to take a lot of phone calls and discuss things with doctors and residents.
If you are in a training hospital, you will have a lot of interaction with doctors and residents. You will also have to deal with colleagues who aren't necessarily your co-workers (for example, I might deal with people working in parasitology or mycology). So, this isnt the same as direct patient interaction, but you certainly aren't working alone, doing your own thing.
Depending on what discipline you end up in, there is also some patient interaction...in hematology you may have to attend bone marrow biopsies, in micro sometimes we attend corneal scrapings, and in histo you may have to work directly with doctors if you are in surgical pathology.
Just something to think about in case you were thinking an MLT gets to hide out in a basement somewhere :razz:

This is excellent information! I'm not entirely opposed to interactions with other people and as I make my decisions in the coming months it'll be good to know how Ultrasound and MLT compare.
Jan 16, 2012
44 posts
3 upvotes
nyx716 wrote:
I think if you do good at interviews you should be fine because a lot of the times you can just say what I did wasn't meant for me but u sticked it out and now that your older you know you want michener for sure...i talked to the program coordinator at michener and basically I went to university for a year and did really bad and dropped out she's still giving me a chance and she didn't even ask for my transcript because she said it doesn't matter. so my highschool + interview matters

but my highschool avg is like 76% ish so i am upgrading because I want atleast 80% because everyone has high avges as i look around
Apr 20, 2011
11 posts
Windsor
fergrocks wrote: really? is that program good? I don't know I applied to it for Michener and UOIT. I got into UOIT but waiting for Michener ugh!

You can see the results of that final exam to get licensed, and how each post-secondary instituiton sort of measures up (link below).

http://www.csmls.org/csmls/media/docume ... cation.pdf
http://www.csmls.org/About-CSMLS/Becomi ... grams.aspx

I'm not sure if it really matters where you go so long as you get licensed? Or if employers would look more favourably at one school over another, say based on reputation? Or if a degree would give you an opportunity to fulfill a more supervisory position? :confused:

Doesn't mean that I'm not going to look at OUIT at the moment since they got back to me, but why do something in 4 years that can be done in 3 years? I don't know, just a thought... I could be wrong about the gap between a degree and diploma :confused:

Also want to thank people like Jane and Neon for continually helping and providing info for those who are interested in becoming a MLT :)
Nov 13, 2010
110 posts
1 upvote
My average is somewhere between 91 - 95% depending on whether or not Michener allows me to use certain university grades over my high school grades (e.g. allows me to substitute Grade 12 math for university Statistics.) So I am pretty confident I will get an interview. I am just worried about the interview itself, I did the MMI in Halifax last year for Pharmacy and didn't get in....
May 12, 2008
412 posts
44 upvotes
Thanks JCorben, that's nice of you to say. I like answering any questions people may have about the job itself, but unfortunately a lot has changed in terms of admissions and school related stuff since i started (2007) so it's hard to give input on that anymore.
Apr 20, 2011
11 posts
Windsor
JaneSmith wrote: Thanks JCorben, that's nice of you to say. I like answering any questions people may have about the job itself, but unfortunately a lot has changed in terms of admissions and school related stuff since i started (2007) so it's hard to give input on that anymore.

I completely understand, even this year's admission requirements are a lot more different and stringent than last years, and not just at Michener. St. Clair College implemented the HOAE admission test this year, applications to health science programs in Ontario are up 16-20% from last year at some colleges, even the College of the North Atlantic in Nfld has it mandatory now that you complete a 1 year program to even be considered to the med lab science program (and you can't even do advanced standing).

Although, I find insight into the actual profession much more valuable... you can always upgrade/change your marks to gain acceptance, but it's much more difficult to change your suitability to a profession.
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
78 upvotes
fergrocks wrote:
My average for the pre-reqs is 90-something. However, my undergrad gpa is terrible and I'm afraid that will be something that will hold me back :/. I know that having an undergrad is not a pre-req to the program but they may very well take a look at my grades and doubt my ability to do well in the program. We'll see, only time can tell...

My undergrad GPA was very lackluster (B+) as well but it did not affect getting into Med Lab at all. I had a 90+ in my pre-reqs and got in no issue. Sounds like you have an excellent chance if you do well on the interview!
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
78 upvotes
martinjustin wrote: My average is somewhere between 91 - 95% depending on whether or not Michener allows me to use certain university grades over my high school grades (e.g. allows me to substitute Grade 12 math for university Statistics.) So I am pretty confident I will get an interview. I am just worried about the interview itself, I did the MMI in Halifax last year for Pharmacy and didn't get in....

The MMI for Pharmacy (if you are talking about Dal) and Michener is very different. Michener MMI questions are more "broad" based and will not require you to have any specific knowledge about health care or clinical problems. Though, it's always good to have an idea about the program and some currently things in the health care field but they are NOT going to ask you "Blank person comes in with this and gets x medication. Blank has an allergic reation. Why and what would you do?" They MMIs are run for quite a few programs at once so they do not know what program you have applied for so it would be unfair to ask specific questions as someone's knowledge for Diagnostic Cytology would be different than someone from Resp. Tech.
Nov 13, 2010
110 posts
1 upvote
neonlily wrote: The MMI for Pharmacy (if you are talking about Dal) and Michener is very different. Michener MMI questions are more "broad" based and will not require you to have any specific knowledge about health care or clinical problems. Though, it's always good to have an idea about the program and some currently things in the health care field but they are NOT going to ask you "Blank person comes in with this and gets x medication. Blank has an allergic reation. Why and what would you do?" They MMIs are run for quite a few programs at once so they do not know what program you have applied for so it would be unfair to ask specific questions as someone's knowledge for Diagnostic Cytology would be different than someone from Resp. Tech.

Thanks for the info! And yes, I was talking about Dal.

Problem is I am not really sure where I went wrong. I answered all the questions, didn't really stumble or flip-flop on my answers. Not really sure at all how I can improve. I thought I did well but apparently not....maybe it's the format of the interview that screws with me...for a few of the stations I asked for a few extra seconds to think before I started to talk which they said was alright but I might have been docked points for it. You have to be pretty quick on your toes.
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
78 upvotes
martinjustin wrote: Thanks for the info! And yes, I was talking about Dal.

Problem is I am not really sure where I went wrong. I answered all the questions, didn't really stumble or flip-flop on my answers. Not really sure at all how I can improve. I thought I did well but apparently not....maybe it's the format of the interview that screws with me...for a few of the stations I asked for a few extra seconds to think before I started to talk which they said was alright but I might have been docked points for it. You have to be pretty quick on your toes.

Just to give you some insight. I stumbled on a few of my answers. Do not feel like you have to talk to whole time as the interviewer will have prompts and questions to ask you. I honestly really enjoyed the MMI's because the interviewers are allowed to make small talk afterwards and can smile (not the stone faced expression you usually hear about). It was overall a positive experience.
Nov 13, 2010
110 posts
1 upvote
I'm also wondering, what's the commute to Michener like? Do most students live on campus? Do you have to move far away from campus to find apartments?
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
78 upvotes
martinjustin wrote: I'm also wondering, what's the commute to Michener like? Do most students live on campus? Do you have to move far away from campus to find apartments?

I would say a good portion of the students commute. Some come from Scarborough, Hamilton, Brampton, Burlington. We even have one student who comes from Niagara Falls! There are (I think) about 5-6 students in my class who live on campus and say it's fun but everyone is quiet and respectful.

I live off-campus in the Annex area and I know of a few others who live on Baldwin just off campus. You can find apartments you just have to commit to looking for them because it can be costly to live downtown. If you're not opposed to living in a shared house you can find a room for around $500-600 easily.
Nov 13, 2010
110 posts
1 upvote
neonlily wrote: I would say a good portion of the students commute. Some come from Scarborough, Hamilton, Brampton, Burlington. We even have one student who comes from Niagara Falls! There are (I think) about 5-6 students in my class who live on campus and say it's fun but everyone is quiet and respectful.

I live off-campus in the Annex area and I know of a few others who live on Baldwin just off campus. You can find apartments you just have to commit to looking for them because it can be costly to live downtown. If you're not opposed to living in a shared house you can find a room for around $500-600 easily.

So, how's the commute? I am not familiar with Toronto, how long does it take to get from those places to campus by bus / subway?
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
78 upvotes
martinjustin wrote: So, how's the commute? I am not familiar with Toronto, how long does it take to get from those places to campus by bus / subway?

Oh sorry, I forgot you were from Nova Scotia! There are two girls in Med Lab who are from the Maritimes, both live in Res. It takes me about 30 minutes to get to class from The Annex. (10-15 minutes on subway. The rest walking and waiting to take the elevator up to class). Baldwin is right by the school about a 5 minute walk. Michener is right on the Yonge-University Subway line at the St.Patrick stop so it's very convenient to get around.

As for people who live in Hamilton it's about an hour/hour and half depending. It's over two hours from Niagara falls.

If you are going to move somewhere in Toronto, I'd definitely recommend anywhere on a subway line as those are a bit more reliable compared to street cars. When it comes to moving, let me know and I can give you a break down of the areas.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)