Students

Michener Med Lab Sci - Question about textbooks

[OP]
May 17, 2020
5 posts
2 upvotes

Michener Med Lab Sci - Question about textbooks

Hi everyone, I've been accepted to this coming Fall's intake of MLS at Michener and wanted to start looking into getting my textbooks. I've done a Bachelors and Masters so I know that a lot of times in a program you will be told you "must" have a certain $200 textbook and then you won't open it the entire program. I am wondering if any current or former Michener MLS students could let me know which textbooks were absolutely worth having and which ones to avoid. I like to try and get mine off second hand sellers to save some money so I thought I'd start looking as soon as possible since it can take some time finding second-hand sellers.

Thanks for any help.
3 replies
May 8, 2018
16 posts
11 upvotes
Hey, congrats on getting into the program! Current MLS student - so don't bother with the textbooks unless you have a strong preference for the hard copies. Join your Facebook class group and I'm sure at some point, you will get access to this google collection of the textbooks that gets passed down from the previous class to incoming class. The only textbook the teachers really push for you to get is the Hematology Atlas, which has good pictures that help you when trying to identify different cells in your blood. Even so, a decent chunk of the class didn't even buy that & just used the older editions provided in class. And it helps to join the other Facebook groups associated with Michener (ex. Student Success Network - The Michener Institute) - for instance, a girl posted about giving away her MLS textbooks earlier today.
[OP]
May 17, 2020
5 posts
2 upvotes
Chesecke wrote: Hey, congrats on getting into the program! Current MLS student - so don't bother with the textbooks unless you have a strong preference for the hard copies. Join your Facebook class group and I'm sure at some point, you will get access to this google collection of the textbooks that gets passed down from the previous class to incoming class. The only textbook the teachers really push for you to get is the Hematology Atlas, which has good pictures that help you when trying to identify different cells in your blood. Even so, a decent chunk of the class didn't even buy that & just used the older editions provided in class. And it helps to join the other Facebook groups associated with Michener (ex. Student Success Network - The Michener Institute) - for instance, a girl posted about giving away her MLS textbooks earlier today.
That's good to know. I'll hold off until the program starts. Thanks.
Mar 6, 2015
681 posts
50 upvotes
is it now appropriate to ask about textbooks?
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!