Students

Michener's Multiple Mini Interviews

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2015 6:05 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 29, 2010
63 posts
1 upvote

Michener's Multiple Mini Interviews

Hello everyone

This thread is for MMI applicants, specifically for the Michener Institute programs.

For those who are / will be experiencing MMI's, there are sample questions from the famous paper:
"An admissions OSCE- The multiple mini interview"

Good luck to everyone!
82 replies
Member
Dec 19, 2010
274 posts
21 upvotes
To my knowledge, those who had already taken an MMI are told not to reveal the specifics of the questions. But, I'm willing to have a mock interview buddy if you're interested. Btw, what programs have you applied to?
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 29, 2010
63 posts
1 upvote
Hey!!

Yes

Anyone else that would like to join and contribute?

:)
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2003
1170 posts
27 upvotes
There have actually been many peer reviewed papers published on this topic as the MMI was developed by McMaster university as a way to standardize med school interviews. If you want to see the rationale and see what they are truly looking for in the interview, I highly recommend looking at the papers, which you can find on Medline or Pubmed (authors Eva, K. and Reiter, (can't remember 1st initial)). The papers give specific examples of how stations are designed to test specific desirable components of candidates.

Off the top of my head, for medicine, the MMI was designed to assess:
- ethical decision making
- critical thinking
- communication skills
- health care advocate
The engine is the plane's heart, but the pilot is it's soul
Banned
User avatar
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1407 upvotes
Toronto
snplow wrote: authors Eva, K. and Reiter, (can't remember 1st initial)).

its H. for Harold.
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 29, 2010
63 posts
1 upvote
snplow wrote: There have actually been many peer reviewed papers published on this topic as the MMI was developed by McMaster university as a way to standardize med school interviews. If you want to see the rationale and see what they are truly looking for in the interview, I highly recommend looking at the papers, which you can find on Medline or Pubmed (authors Eva, K. and Reiter, (can't remember 1st initial)). The papers give specific examples of how stations are designed to test specific desirable components of candidates.

Off the top of my head, for medicine, the MMI was designed to assess:
- ethical decision making
- critical thinking
- communication skills
- health care advocate
-----------------
Thanks for your response, I did find a few scientific papers by Eva KW and Reiter HI on the MMI

MMI as per eva et al., 2004 states, there are 4 main categories the scenarios / situational questions are based on:
1) critical thinking;
2) ethical decision making
3) communication skills
4) knowledge of the health care system

Also, in that same paper, it states that you are assessed

The evaluation forms requested interviewers to rate each of the candidates using 7-point scales on:
1) communication skills
2) strength of the arguments raised
3) suitability for the health sciences
4) overall performance.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2003
1170 posts
27 upvotes
'The Relationship between Interviewer's Characteristics and Ratings Assigned during a Multiple Mini Interview' also by Eva, K has another set of 10 questions in there.

Keep in mind that these questions are kinda old. McMaster phased out the panel interview entirely in 2006 and replaced it with the MMI. USask followed suit in 2007. Other med schools thereafter.

I would suggest trying the Canadian Pre Med forums for additional questions - even though they pertain to med school, they give you a pretty good idea.

I unfortunately can't give you any specific examples because
a) I also have signed a non-disclosure agreement ;)
b) I also have ties to the interview committee so it would be a conflict of interest.

Good luck!
The engine is the plane's heart, but the pilot is it's soul
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 3, 2007
16002 posts
377 upvotes
Sorry for bumping the thread...but have you guys signed up for the interview between 26-30th of April?
Newbie
Jun 24, 2010
89 posts
4 upvotes
In the provisional acceptance letter, it said that they would email us when the website is live...

I haven't received the email and I tried logging on, but it doesn't work yet... ugh.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 3, 2007
16002 posts
377 upvotes
la_mayo wrote: In the provisional acceptance letter, it said that they would email us when the website is live...

I haven't received the email and I tried logging on, but it doesn't work yet... ugh.

My friend got hers already. I'm just worried that I won't get the appointment date I want since they're within my final exam days, sigh
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
78 upvotes
Hi Everyone,

Just found out about my interview today! I'm from Winnipeg so I'll be flying out to toronto for my interview (Gosh! $$)
If anyone wants to practice MMI questions feel free to PM me and I'll pass along my email :)
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 3, 2007
16002 posts
377 upvotes
neonlily wrote: Hi Everyone,

Just found out about my interview today! I'm from Winnipeg so I'll be flying out to toronto for my interview (Gosh! $$)
If anyone wants to practice MMI questions feel free to PM me and I'll pass along my email :)

congrats!
Newbie
Jun 24, 2010
89 posts
4 upvotes
I cheated and I found out I got an interview at the end of February... LOL

I went online at 9:30 AM, and most of the time slots were gone. I was hoping for the 27th or 28th... :(
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 3, 2007
16002 posts
377 upvotes
la_mayo wrote: I cheated and I found out I got an interview at the end of February... LOL

I went online at 9:30 AM, and most of the time slots were gone. I was hoping for the 27th or 28th... :(

WTFFFF...I've been trying to sign in since 9:05...what are the available time slots?
Newbie
Jun 24, 2010
89 posts
4 upvotes
dragon_drift wrote: WTFFFF...I've been trying to sign in since 9:05...what are the available time slots?

There are lots left. I just signed in again at 11AM to change my time to the 28th, and there were a bunch there.

I think there's 8:30AM, 10:30AM, 2:15PM, and 4:30PM. They seem to last like 2 hours.
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 29, 2010
63 posts
1 upvote
dragon_drift wrote: My friend got hers already. I'm just worried that I won't get the appointment date I want since they're within my final exam days, sigh

I had the same problem as you and was worried but all worked out! :D

Yay booked my MMI date :cheesygri
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 29, 2010
63 posts
1 upvote
There's still lots of time slot availabilities everyone! If you received the email, follow the instructions and book your MMIs!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 3, 2007
16002 posts
377 upvotes
lol no wonder I couldn't login...They got my last name wrong and my apparently my ID was the password they gave me earlier. On the letter, they told me to use my ut id...

Top