Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1733 posts
1173 upvotes
Southern Ontario

"Michigan Axe", Is this the one I need?

I'm under the assumption I want a "Felling" axe but when I'm looking at the local online stores, nobody uses this term. I see "Maul" and a "Michigan" axe... I know I don't want a splitter.

I have a 3 foot tall x 1 foot across stump that is rotting and I want to break it down and try to dig most of it out (or at least make it flat).

If I need a different tool, let me know. I do have a chainsaw but when I had some work done at my house last year, certain items went missing - like my Axe.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/gara ... 1203p.html
12 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2357 posts
1079 upvotes
Edmonton
Yup. That’s the one.

Keep it sharp and try not to hit the ground
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14926 posts
9332 upvotes
Toronto
Wet stone unless you have a band to keep that lad sharp and deadly.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16800 posts
18492 upvotes
Oakville
Gibsons wrote: I'm under the assumption I want a "Felling" axe but when I'm looking at the local online stores, nobody uses this term. I see "Maul" and a "Michigan" axe... I know I don't want a splitter.

I have a 3 foot tall x 1 foot across stump that is rotting and I want to break it down and try to dig most of it out (or at least make it flat).

If I need a different tool, let me know. I do have a chainsaw but when I had some work done at my house last year, certain items went missing - like my Axe.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/gara ... 1203p.html
I did the same with an axe. Stump is all gone. Great workout.
I chopped as much as I could before it became too hard, then let it rot more and fished it. I kept it wet to help the mushrooms grow and the ants chew it up. I also drilled some holes to open it up.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1733 posts
1173 upvotes
Southern Ontario
engineered wrote: I did the same with an axe. Stump is all gone. Great workout.
I chopped as much as I could before it became too hard, then let it rot more and fished it. I kept it wet to help the mushrooms grow and the ants chew it up. I also drilled some holes to open it up.
I just touched the large root structure with my boot and the top of it came off, a whole school of carpenter ants are in there. I put the top back on for now, I'm nervous about carpenter ants as I had to battle some that got into my house a few years back.

Considering destroying them along with the stump, I know they're beneficial but can be destructive if get into your home.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1733 posts
1173 upvotes
Southern Ontario
CanadianLurker wrote: A maul is more for splitting logs. You’d want an axe such as the one you linked to deal with the above ground part of the stump. Then to deal with the bottom a ground level you could use something like this:

https://clutchaxes.com/stump-removal-ax ... e-a-stump/
Never heard of a "Mattock" before. I suppose it's hard to find.

36-inch double injected fiberglass handle
Rubber grip for improved handling and control
5-pound cutter / mattock head combo
Cuts through shrub and tree roots and chews up stubborn soil
Handle has shock absorbent “poly” guard to protect against overstrike damage

Here's one at Lowes.ca, $45.

https://www.lowes.ca/product/garant-pic ... ock-889395

Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3788 posts
2782 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
You don't want to use any kind of axe. Use a mattock (or a shovel) to dig around the perimeter of the stump to expose the roots. You can use a bow saw to cut the roots, but it's hard to do. A reciprocating saw with a decent pruning blade is excellent at cutting through the roots. A cheap assed recipro saw. will do the trick.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3913 posts
929 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Gibsons wrote: Never heard of a "Mattock" before. I suppose it's hard to find.

36-inch double injected fiberglass handle
Rubber grip for improved handling and control
5-pound cutter / mattock head combo
Cuts through shrub and tree roots and chews up stubborn soil
Handle has shock absorbent “poly” guard to protect against overstrike damage

Here's one at Lowes.ca, $45.

https://www.lowes.ca/product/garant-pic ... ock-889395

That's what I refer to as a a pick-axe. Sold mine on kijiji last year.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1733 posts
1173 upvotes
Southern Ontario
MrFrugal1 wrote: You don't want to use any kind of axe. Use a mattock (or a shovel) to dig around the perimeter of the stump to expose the roots. You can use a bow saw to cut the roots, but it's hard to do. A reciprocating saw with a decent pruning blade is excellent at cutting through the roots. A cheap assed recipro saw. will do the trick.
The "roots" in my case are about 8" thick. That would be quite a feat for a reciprocating saw and blade.

It's all rotting out, if my boot ripped half of the root apart, I'm sure I'll get the rest out. The huge city of ants is another issue.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16881 posts
7170 upvotes
Gibsons wrote: The "roots" in my case are about 8" thick. That would be quite a feat for a reciprocating saw and blade.

It's all rotting out, if my boot ripped half of the root apart, I'm sure I'll get the rest out. The huge city of ants is another issue.
If you can expose the entire root then the reciprocating saw will cut through it like butter, especially if you have a corded one. Here is a 12" pruning blade as an example:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/diablo ... 1000680564

I did this with my stump. The key is ensuring the reciprocating saw blade is not "sawing" the dirt - it must have full access for the entire stroke.

The axe will work no doubt - but it is definitely more strain on your body. I started with my stump using an axe but I couldn't believe how easy the reciprocating saw cut through when I put in the effort to expose the root all around.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16800 posts
18492 upvotes
Oakville
Gibsons wrote: The "roots" in my case are about 8" thick. That would be quite a feat for a reciprocating saw and blade.

I used a wood spade bit to make a bunch of holes in the roots to help kill them off.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8870 posts
5863 upvotes
Kootenays
A Pulaski is better for work around the ground.