• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2021 10:02 am
[OP]
Jan 24, 2013
319 posts
279 upvotes
Rainy River

Microsoft 365 subscription

I have a 365 personal subscription (79$ per year). I purchased a new laptop. Can I put office 365 on it or do I need to uninstall 365 on the old laptop first. Guess I'm asking can it be on two computers at once with just a personal subscription.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
2799 posts
1530 upvotes
Barrie
retireyoung55 wrote: I have a 365 personal subscription (79$ per year). I purchased a new laptop. Can I put office 365 on it or do I need to uninstall 365 on the old laptop first. Guess I'm asking can it be on two computers at once with just a personal subscription.
Yes you can. You can have up to 5 machines with the same id.
May 21, 2008
814 posts
109 upvotes
Ottawa
retireyoung55 wrote: I have a 365 personal subscription (79$ per year). I purchased a new laptop. Can I put office 365 on it or do I need to uninstall 365 on the old laptop first. Guess I'm asking can it be on two computers at once with just a personal subscription.
No. Since you have a personal subscription, that mean only 1 PC will be active.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2354 posts
527 upvotes
RunnerForDeals wrote: You are wrong. Up to 5 computers at the same time, including desktop, laptop, Mac, Smartphone, tablet-type devices all in various OS's

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... =signinmsa
You are incorrect. If the OP only bought 365 Personal sub he can only install this on 1 device. If he bought a family sub it would have cost around $30 more, or something and could be used on 5 devices. We have the same sub, can only use on one device

Upgrade to Microsoft 365 Family
One convenient subscription you can share with up to five others. Each person gets their own premium Office apps, 1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage, advanced security, and more.
Upgrade
Feb 9, 2008
341 posts
283 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
redsfan wrote: You are incorrect. If the OP only bought 365 Personal sub he can only install this on 1 device. If he bought a family sub it would have cost around $30 more, or something and could be used on 5 devices. We have the same sub, can only use on one device

One convenient subscription you can share with up to five others. Each person gets their own premium Office apps, 1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage, advanced security, and more.
Upgrade
Microsoft says 1 person, 5 devices at the same time. 1 person doesn't mean 1 device.
They renamed/changed their plans, so maybe you're grandfathered into some old plan that limits you to 1 device?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/microsoft-365/p/microsoft-365-personal/cfq7ttc0k5bf?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab
With Microsoft 365 Personal you can:

• Access smart assistance features, plus hundreds of premium templates, photos, icons, and fonts in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Save and share files and photos across devices with OneDrive
• Experience advanced security protection in OneDrive and Outlook
Use the subscription on up to 5 devices at the same time
• Contact support via chat or phone at no extra cost throughout your subscription
For the family plan:
How do I share my subscription benefits with members of my family?
If you have an active Microsoft 365 Family subscription, you can share it with up to five members of your household. Each household member you share your subscription with can install Microsoft 365 on all their devices and sign in to five devices at the same time.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12457 posts
3685 upvotes
You are wrong...
redsfan wrote: You are incorrect. If the OP only bought 365 Personal sub he can only install this on 1 device. If he bought a family sub it would have cost around $30 more, or something and could be used on 5 devices. We have the same sub, can only use on one device

Upgrade
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
2799 posts
1530 upvotes
Barrie

Upgrade
I do this for a living AND I have a Personal O365 Account. I am 100% right
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2354 posts
527 upvotes
zerod wrote: Microsoft says 1 person, 5 devices at the same time. 1 person doesn't mean 1 device.
They renamed/changed their plans, so maybe you're grandfathered into some old plan that limits you to 1 device?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/microsoft-365/p/microsoft-365-personal/cfq7ttc0k5bf?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

For the family plan:
perhaps I misunderstand how this works then....so this can be shared with others or only used with the same Microsoft account on 5 devices?
Feb 15, 2007
988 posts
308 upvotes
Pickering
Same account.

Want to share with others you need the family plan.