PC & Video Games

Microsoft buys Activision for $68.7 billion

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2022 6:26 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1041 posts
908 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: TIL Activision owns the old Sierra P&C adventure franchises. Can we get a new Police Quest?

check out ready or not
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1386 posts
620 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Redmask wrote: Going to gently push back on a few of those items:

Bethesda is exclusive going forward. I don't see why they wouldn't do the same with CoD. Minecraft was an outlier, it was purchased specifically to be a multiplatform title that gives them an inroads to a younger marketshare. I can easily see both of the IPs you mentioned being exclusive.

I'll gently disagree on making COD exclusive...it just doesn't make sense. Too much money is made from other platforms while not in the same league as Minecraft (probably) why cut off that revenue? If they are still making COD multi-gen in 2023 for the PS4 ( I have no idea EOL on that) then not reaping that cash cow would be silly.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
1937 posts
1360 upvotes
Grande Prairie AB
aidendanger wrote: Thanks, that's the topic of discussion lol.
They merged my post, someone posted just before me.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
3380 posts
5051 upvotes
Xbox needs to get on a new Crash Bandicoot and Spyro game. Then make some troll 90s commercials at Sony HQ. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1478 posts
1679 upvotes
Ottawa
iamsiege wrote: They merged my post, someone posted just before me.
They really left you out to dry man. I'm sorry. I thought you just didn't have coffee Face With Tears Of Joy

Thanks!

As to the subject of COD being an exclusive, this isn't going to happen. It makes zero sense as a business: It's the best selling video game franchise. It's also dying, for all intents and purposes, because it's so regurgitated. I'm hoping MS having full rights will shake the game up because it's a turd compared to what it was. It'll fit sure be on Xbox first and that alone sells hardware for many.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5313 posts
2288 upvotes
Toronto
aidendanger wrote: They really left you out to dry man. I'm sorry. I thought you just didn't have coffee Face With Tears Of Joy

Thanks!

As to the subject of COD being an exclusive, this isn't going to happen. It makes zero sense as a business: It's the best selling video game franchise. It's also dying, for all intents and purposes, because it's so regurgitated. I'm hoping MS having full rights will shake the game up because it's a turd compared to what it was. It'll fit sure be on Xbox first and that alone sells hardware for many.
COD is in such a weird state right now, and you're right - it's such a cash cow, but one that has mad cow disease and is slowly dying and hemorrhaging its dedicated fanbase while also trying to appease the masses. It's almost like a damned if they do, damned if they don't scenario. They've painted themselves into this yearly release window where three entire dev teams are responsible for alternatingly churning out a new campaign, new multiplayer and new co-op modes each year, while also ensuring that it can integrate with Warzone, still be playable for esports, and has enough marketable DLC content to turn a profit. It's honestly a lot, and almost unsustainable at this point.

I follow the COD League quite a bit (Go Toronto Ultra!) and it's actually funny to see how that esports community has a collective meltdown around this time of year: the pros find all sorts of issues with the game (they're currently banning sniping and smoke grenades and don't have a reliable 3rd game mode to play), the league tries to figure out how to make for a compelling and competitive season and rush through getting it all set up during a pandemic (Their kickoff event is next week, around 3 months after the game launched!), the devs have to figure out how to take all of the esports changes into consideration in a way that also won't break the game or make it too difficult for the casual players, while also squashing as many of the bugs that are still around, and marketing and leadership trying to find ways to make money (primarily through Warzone and skin packs and Battlepass sales) while making it seem like they care about the rest of the title. Meanwhile, barely anyone I know has even bothered with the half-assed campaign they created, or this iteration of zombies. It's truly a shitshow, and good luck to MS in their efforts to turn it around...

That said, I can't see it ever becoming an exclusive because there's just too much money left on the table if they did that, and a lot of that money comes from the casual players who maybe only play Warzone, or only buy a handful of games a year and will buy their yearly Call of Duty game to get their FPS fix. It's literally the only big competitive shooter on the PS5 right now because Battlefield screwed the pooch this year.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
1326 posts
276 upvotes
Edmonton
People are only kidding themselves if they think COD eventually won't go exclusive. MS is pushing hard for GamePass to be like Netflix. It will be exclusive to GamePass eventually, and that doesn't mean it won't be on other platforms that support Gamepass, but I can't see it on Sony consoles.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10866 posts
721 upvotes
Scarborough
COD as a yearly game will eventually go exclusive to Gamepass (PC and Xbox). This will happen. If its just Warzone, I think that will continue on all currently available platforms.

MS doesn't need the money that is being generated by Activision on the other platforms. There are still many gamers who just buy a COD machine. They will move over to Gamepass and pay to play. MS will get all the profit and don't need to share anything.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5313 posts
2288 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: I really love the CP24 Headline on this

Microsoft buys maker of Candy Crush for about $70 billion
https://www.cp24.com/lifestyle/technolo ... -1.5744891

Delivering the most important news to Facebook moms Face With Stuck-out Tongue
Take Two acquired Zynga, and MS was like "Hold my beer".

Also speaking of beer, what's the over/under on how many @CFRTim will have tonight? Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5313 posts
2288 upvotes
Toronto
thechampion116 wrote: COD as a yearly game will eventually go exclusive to Gamepass (PC and Xbox). This will happen. If its just Warzone, I think that will continue on all currently available platforms.

MS doesn't need the money that is being generated by Activision on the other platforms. There are still many gamers who just buy a COD machine. They will move over to Gamepass and pay to play. MS will get all the profit and don't need to share anything.
I still can't see it.... That would be problematic since a lot of the guns used in Warzone need to be leveled up, and the best way to do that is to play through the regular COD multiplayer. If PS has no access to it, then those people won't bother playing Warzone, and you're forcing a lot of potential casual players to have to decide to switch consoles.

At most, I can see a scenario where maybe COD campaign and zombies is exclusive to Xbox... or there is some timed exclusivity to multiplayer, which is still a pretty significant incentive. Making it F2P for GamePass and even regular XBL subscribers would be an interesting move too. However, by making it exclusive they are essentially killing off a large chunk of the current install base that would spend money on Warzone...
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10007 posts
4390 upvotes
Candy Crush generated $1.19 Billion dollars in 2020.
A lot of old people play Candy Crush and buy those microtransactions apparently.
https://www.businessofapps.com/data/can ... tatistics/

Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
8337 posts
8309 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone think MS will also buy Sega?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
3380 posts
5051 upvotes
Their entire portfolio will go console exclusive, including COD. I'd say within 1 or 2 years of fully acquiring them. Their mobile stuff will continue to do their thing.

Even the wording is mirroring what they said when they bought Bethesda. The exact same arguments were also said back then. They can't ignore Playstaton, it's too much money left on the table. They sure can, and they did, barring any already signed contracts. They'll continue to support everything already released, but all new games from that point on will be Xbox/PC exclusive.

The PS4 userbase will likely be irrelevant for new games by say 2024. Everything will likely be next gen only by then. So you'll have a much smaller Playstation userbase without PS4 vs. Xbox/PC/Mobile/Xcloud. Even if it's like 50 million PS5 consoles by then, that's still not that much, especially with the likely boost to XSeries console sales if people know everything is exclusive to Xbox. It's likely to draw a bunch of the casuals back to Xbox as well.

The top 10 sold games on Playstation of 2021. You've got a couple Sony games in the top 10, but the rest is casual station. A good portion of those are already in Game Pass (or will be), then add in everything from Activision. EA Play is already there, MLB is already there. To a casual, you can get pretty much everything you could ever want to play on Xbox + Game Pass. Minus Sony 1st party.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9444 posts
2932 upvotes

Damn you beat me to it, just saw that and was gonna post.
M1GOmigs wrote: Take Two acquired Zynga, and MS was like "Hold my beer".

Also speaking of beer, what's the over/under on how many @CFRTim will have tonight? Face With Tears Of Joy
To any gambling person.
I was off work today, so I had an early start. However, I am going back to work tomorrow but the day is still young.
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2571 posts
5711 upvotes
Windsor
Mulder and Scully wrote: Going against the grain here... I'm fine with this acquisition. I understand some people aren't and I'm fine with that as well.

- To date Microsoft has been pretty good about maintaining multiplatform games after acquisitions. You have to remember that the company is thinking about their profits. They'll never make Call of Duty or Diablo Xbox-exclusive.
Thats why MS will make Cod exclusive. They could easily convert 40%+ ps+ subs to game pass subs. Subs = profits
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2605 posts
2909 upvotes
if it's not approved and deal falls through, MS will pay Activision $3B.... I don't even.....
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1478 posts
1679 upvotes
Ottawa
trick91 wrote: People are only kidding themselves if they think COD eventually won't go exclusive. MS is pushing hard for GamePass to be like Netflix. It will be exclusive to GamePass eventually, and that doesn't mean it won't be on other platforms that support Gamepass, but I can't see it on Sony consoles.

If it's on other platforms, that's not exclusive.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)