PC & Video Games

Microsoft buys Activision for $68.7 billion

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2022 7:04 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9471 posts
2954 upvotes
supremekai wrote: If they only just play COD, why would they sub to gamepass? gamepass would cost them more than just buying the yearly COD game.
How so? I can get 1 year of GPU right now for around $45. That's about 1/2 price of the actual retail price of the game, and that includes the ability to play it online as well
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1877 posts
759 upvotes
supremekai wrote: If they only just play COD, why would they sub to gamepass? gamepass would cost them more than just buying the yearly COD game.
Well they would have more then just the one CoD game to play with as well. I’m pretty sure server numbers would keep online going for a few of them for years to come. Plus the beauty of gamepass is that it allows the stingy gamers a chance to try something new and at no real cost to them now. Allowed me to try Ori, Unravel, Doom, Left 4 Dead and many more I know to come. It truly is the best gaming deal out there right now, and this latest deal will just help seal it even more.
[external link removed]
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1042 posts
909 upvotes
I think there are two possibilities:

1) Sony may have signed a generation-long deal for marketing rights to call of duty, so Phil wants to look like he's a good guy by letting the games continue on PS5 but in reality it's because he's obligated to do so.

2) or, there are no obligations, but Phil wants something in exchange for CoD (either gamepass on PS5 or some xbox ports of sony exclusives) and by saying this he's putting pressure on Sony to agree to his demands, otherwise it will look bad on Sony that they're not doing the best they can to keep CoD around.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9471 posts
2954 upvotes
3) Sony releases Spartacus, makes Game Pass look puny.............................Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5616 posts
5814 upvotes
GTA
johncraven wrote: I think there are two possibilities:

1) Sony may have signed a generation-long deal for marketing rights to call of duty, so Phil wants to look like he's a good guy by letting the games continue on PS5 but in reality it's because he's obligated to do so.

2) or, there are no obligations, but Phil wants something in exchange for CoD (either gamepass on PS5 or some xbox ports of sony exclusives) and by saying this he's putting pressure on Sony to agree to his demands, otherwise it will look bad on Sony that they're not doing the best they can to keep CoD around.
I do remember that PlayStation is the Home of Call of Duty at one point, but I haven't heard that phrase in a while. I'm guessing it ended around the PS3/4 days. Beyond the current gen of games, I don't know what they would still have in place.
I don't see MS caring that much about Sony exclusives anymore, I think that boat sailed after the Bethesda acquisition. With Activision, even less reason. And I'm still taken aback at how some here are ignoring the elephant in the room. When MS Thanos snaps his fingers, he'll cut the population of the high-end consoles in half Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
MS has shown it can declare this version of the console war over when they will it, bar a miracle. Let's see what comes next.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5333 posts
2314 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: I do remember that PlayStation is the Home of Call of Duty at one point, but I haven't heard that phrase in a while. I'm guessing it ended around the PS3/4 days. Beyond the current gen of games, I don't know what they would still have in place.
XBox had the COD marketing deal during the XBox 360 days. The last game where they were partnered was Call of Duty Ghosts, which was a cross-gen 360/XBone title.

Starting with COD Advanced Warfare last gen and continuing into this gen, the COD marketing deal has been with Sony for PS4 and PS5.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9471 posts
2954 upvotes
If Spartacus fails, Game Pass on PlayStation is what's coming next
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2168 posts
825 upvotes
Scarborough
CFRTim wrote: How so? I can get 1 year of GPU right now for around $45. That's about 1/2 price of the actual retail price of the game, and that includes the ability to play it online as well
In this scenerio, they can just play COD Warzone for free...
Tangerine
Simplii
Freedom Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9471 posts
2954 upvotes
supremekai wrote: In this scenerio, they can just play COD Warzone for free...
In another scenario they could just play bang-bang with their trigger finger.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5616 posts
5814 upvotes
GTA
CFRTim wrote: If Spartacus fails, Game Pass on PlayStation is what's coming next
Nah I don't personally see that ever happening. There would be one player too many in the console wars, so easier to just make you competitor irrelevant and let the market "do the rest". Might take another gen for it to come to fruition, but then it looks like a more natural death anyway Upside-down Face
MS would never be able to buy PlayStation or Sony (or Nintendo) as they are Japanese and I couldn't see their government approving of that.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9471 posts
2954 upvotes
@BernardRyder I know Japan has imposed some regulations about foreigners buying into tech and telecom sectors when deemed important for national security or defense. Not sure SCE falls into that category. I know large Japanese companies like Sharp and Nissan have been down that road. Anyway, we're going way off here
Nov 5, 2011
189 posts
129 upvotes
CFRTim wrote: If Spartacus fails, Game Pass on PlayStation is what's coming next
I often see people suggesting putting “Game Pass on PlayStation”, but what would that even mean? Xbox games cannot natively run on PlayStation, so I guess we’re talking about Xcloud here?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5333 posts
2314 upvotes
Toronto
reptile wrote: I often see people suggesting putting “Game Pass on PlayStation”, but what would that even mean? Xbox games cannot natively run on PlayStation, so I guess we’re talking about Xcloud here?
I honestly don't see how that will ever be an idea that Sony would entertain. Aside from xbox games, there are a ton of multiplatform games on the service that are also being sold on the PS store, and offering those as part of the subscription would take away from any revenue Sony would get from sales. At most, they could consider a lower tier service that only gives access to XBox exclusive games, I guess...

But if it ever were a thing, I guess the idea is that they add a GamePass app on the console and then players could play from the cloud, in the same way you can now play xcloud games on your Xbox console.
Last edited by M1GOmigs on Jan 21st, 2022 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
8449 posts
1873 upvotes
Richmond Hill
My guess is Microsoft will be focusing on becoming a subscription service on as many platforms as they can and moving away from the console hardware space.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9471 posts
2954 upvotes
jeffyjaixx wrote: My guess is Microsoft will be focusing on becoming a subscription service on as many platforms as they can and moving away from the console hardware space.
Nah, MS will always make some boxes X.
I see Sony not making phones, or even TVs, before MS exits consoles.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5333 posts
2314 upvotes
Toronto
One thing that occurred to me just this afternoon is that Activision also owns the MLG (Major League Gaming) but they've let it languish for so many years.

Microsoft now has the rights to the Halo Championship Series, Call of Duty League, Call of Duty Mobile World Championship, Overwatch League, Gears of War Esports, Hearthstone World Championship,

It would be cool if they could revive the MLG and help further grow all of these esports under one consolidated banner, considering how well they've been doing with the Halo HCS thus far.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1042 posts
909 upvotes
reptile wrote: I often see people suggesting putting “Game Pass on PlayStation”, but what would that even mean? Xbox games cannot natively run on PlayStation, so I guess we’re talking about Xcloud here?
if Sony truly allows Microsoft to put their games on PlayStation, I imagine they will start porting all their games as fast as they can.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
3395 posts
5079 upvotes
https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2022/01/20/xbox-activision-blizzard-phil-spencer/
In discussing some of the intellectual properties owned by Activision Blizzard, Spencer’s excitement may have mirrored the enthusiasm of a “StarCraft” player noticing the long-dormant franchise’s logo in Microsoft’s acquisition announcement.

“I was looking at the IP list, I mean, let’s go!” Spencer said. “ ‘King’s Quest,’ ‘Guitar Hero,’ … I should know this but I think they got ‘HeXen.’ ”

“We’re hoping that we’ll be able to work with them when the deal closes to make sure we have resources to work on franchises that I love from my childhood, and that the teams really want to get,” Spencer said. “I’m looking forward to these conversations. I really think it’s about adding resources and increasing capability.”
I hope they bring COD down from annual rehash to maybe every 2 or 3 years. Warzone support could easily fill in the gap. Damn right they should open up those dev teams to make other stuff again.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5333 posts
2314 upvotes
Toronto
Caerus wrote: I hope they bring COD down from annual rehash to maybe every 2 or 3 years. Warzone support could easily fill in the gap. Damn right they should open up those dev teams to make other stuff again.
What's exciting to think about is the possible collaborations between old IP and current developers teams. I already mentioned how cool a Playground Games Interstate '76 could be... But what if they gave Tim Schafer a crack at King's Quest? Or put Rare on a new Lost Vikings or Pitfall game? Or got Ninja Theory to remake Prototype?