Hot Deals

[Microsoft] EA Access/Play merge with Game Pass Ultimate. Get Ultimate for approx $7.50 a month

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 5:23 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2160 posts
645 upvotes
Edmonton
wearysky wrote: You're good to go as soon as you're no longer an Ultimate subscriber. You can wait around for a bit to see if you get the $1 offer, but I would imagine they'd wait several months before offering it to somebody that *just* expired, if they ever offer it again at all.

PC game pass is only $6 while it remains in beta (nobody knows how long it will remain in beta, however). There's no way to get a cheaper PC game pass other than going for Ultimate, which gives you all that extra stuff *plus* PC Game Pass, for less than the beta price of PC game pass (provided you're willing to pre-pay for multiple years, of course).
They just announced that Gamepass PC is leaving beta next month and the price will be going up.
Jul 15, 2003
622 posts
679 upvotes
ImpKnight wrote: Other than Halo Infinite are there any other games that this applies to?
Phil Spencer said first couple of years, all games coming to both gens
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1319 posts
704 upvotes
Burnaby
wearysky wrote: They're going to be rounding up, so in theory if you get it any time after October 1, you should have 9.x+ months left no matter when they do the merge (as long as they do it before the end of the year, which they said they will be doing), which means you'll get the max 4 months extension.

PC game pass is never getting any cheaper, I don't think - MS has said the price is going up to $11.99/month as soon as it's out of beta (whenever that happens to be). So yes, getting ultimate right now for $5 a month isn't a great value compared to the current PC game pass price, but it's more than 50% off the regular price.

Obviously, if you're not going to use it, it's a waste of money, but if you're holding off just because you're not happy with the price, it's unlikely to get much better (and rumours have xbox live gold going away shortly, so it's unknown how long this cheap ultimate upgrade path will exist, either)
Surely though if they're going to remove Xbox Gold then they have to reduce the price of Ultimate. Can't imagine there'll be too many happy folks willing to pay more for a lesser product, surely?

For me specifically, this is an extremely tempting offer but I'm not convinced there's enough in the EA vault to hold my attention (Microsoft's offerings are much better but significantly lack the one genre I love the most - J-RPGs)

That said, I'm def going to look through the game catalog of both services again just so I don't end up regretting not signing up while I still have a chance
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
1938 posts
534 upvotes
Ottawa
Just as a heads up, buying EA Access/Play from Costco is the cheapest as there's no tax added.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11748 posts
1770 upvotes
Vancouver
My Ultimate sub ends next week. When I buy this EA access it will convert me to Ultimate instantly extend my ultimate 3 months?
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
1938 posts
534 upvotes
Ottawa
trellaine201 wrote: My Ultimate sub ends next week. When I buy this EA access it will convert me to Ultimate instantly extend my ultimate 3 months?
No, not yet. It'll happen sometime between now and the end of the year, my guess is when the new Xbox is released.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11748 posts
1770 upvotes
Vancouver
Aww so why the OP deal? Thanks

Pick them up now to use later?
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
1938 posts
534 upvotes
Ottawa
Another heads up, you can't stack more than 3 years from what I've heard. If you do, you'll just lose months when activating it seems.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18330 posts
8171 upvotes
Oakville
kooltilltheen wrote: Surely though if they're going to remove Xbox Gold then they have to reduce the price of Ultimate. Can't imagine there'll be too many happy folks willing to pay more for a lesser product, surely?

For me specifically, this is an extremely tempting offer but I'm not convinced there's enough in the EA vault to hold my attention (Microsoft's offerings are much better but significantly lack the one genre I love the most - J-RPGs)

That said, I'm def going to look through the game catalog of both services again just so I don't end up regretting not signing up while I still have a chance
Them adding EA Access/Play may well be a step towards removing Live Gold and keeping the price the same. Although, it's still unconfirmed that Gold is going anywhere - all we know is that the next Halo will have free online play, and that MS stopped directly selling new 12 month Gold subscriptions. 12 month gold codes are still available from other retailers, and people on 12 month autorenewing subs are still renewing for a full 12 months directly with MS, so it's all just conjecture at this point.

But yeah, it's definitely only worth getting if you're actually planning on using it. I already had 3 years of Gold stacked when Ultimate came out, so it was a no brainer for me to do the $1 upgrade to convert my entire Gold.
FreezingCanada wrote: Just as a heads up, buying EA Access/Play from Costco is the cheapest as there's no tax added.
No tax from Best Buy either (I bought one yesterday as I had a bit of cash left on a Best Buy gift card), but Costco is $1 cheaper at $28.99 vs $29.99.
trellaine201 wrote: Aww so why the OP deal? Thanks

Pick them up now to use later?
The changeover is happening some time by the end of the year. They said they will be rounding UP any remaining months you have on your EA Access/Play subscription at a 3:1 conversion rate. So as long as they do the changeover at some point in your first 3 months of your 12 month sub, you will get the full 4 months of ultimate. So you can either subscribe today and hope that the changeover happens before December 10th or so... Or wait till October 1 to subscribe, at which point you're guaranteed to get the full 4 month extension as long as they do in fact do the changeover by the end of the year.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1678 posts
894 upvotes
Durham
Sweet! 4 mth extension will take my Game Pass Ultimate to Nov 2022!
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2179 posts
884 upvotes
Montreal, QC
FreezingCanada wrote: Another heads up, you can't stack more than 3 years from what I've heard. If you do, you'll just lose months when activating it seems.
Yeah. You're losing the months beyond 36. I lost 2 months doing the $1 conversion
Oct 12, 2011
399 posts
247 upvotes
CARP
barcathegreat wrote: Phil Spencer said first couple of years, all games coming to both gens
I know what he said. Can you name another game that is actually releasing in that time frame and coming to Xbox One?
Jul 15, 2003
622 posts
679 upvotes
ImpKnight wrote: I know what he said. Can you name another game that is actually releasing in that time frame and coming to Xbox One?
Dude what is this? I prefer PS5, seems like you want me to forcefully like xbox. Lol..Enjoy your Xbox gaming and stop trying to create console war. Oh your argument that since nothing else comes out in the first 2 years so series x will actually have exclusive in 2 years is even worse.