Expired Hot Deals

Microsoft

Free MS certification exam voucher (upon completing MS Ingite 2021 Cloud Skills challenge)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2022 9:16 am
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
3133 posts
2786 upvotes
Montreal
Azure is a Microsoft cloud service subscription and once you start the free trial, it expires after 30 days. After that, you need to pay monthly subscription. After it expires, if you try to start a free trial again, you get this message:
The Azure free account is only available to new users and is limited to one per customer

virtuman1980 wrote: Haha...pretty interesting fellow indeed...but it was this persistence/stubbornness of his that got him the positive result in the end.
datako wrote: ... Although, I'm a little surprised you went against what everyone advised ,op. You've got balls and absolutely crazy at the same time to do this.
May 21, 2015
496 posts
271 upvotes
bgallagher wrote: Azure is a Microsoft cloud service subscription and once you start the free trial, it expires after 30 days. After that, you need to pay monthly subscription. After it expires, if you try to start a free trial again, you get this message:
The Azure free account is only available to new users and is limited to one per customer
oh ok. so the workaround is to make a new account. i think that takes under 2 min.
May 17, 2020
50 posts
15 upvotes
I'm sorry, but did I understand this correctly: I have to pass one of the 12 challenges. Upon successful completion, I'll get a voucher which I can apply towards my exam (AZ104 in my case) and the voucher will provide 100% discount. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2735 posts
1157 upvotes
Quebec
KATAMAPAH wrote: I'm sorry, but did I understand this correctly: I have to pass one of the 12 challenges. Upon successful completion, I'll get a voucher which I can apply towards my exam (AZ104 in my case) and the voucher will provide 100% discount. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Right finish one of the course ( all modules of thst course) then you’ll get an email from Microsoft saying you completed it and around Dec 7 you’ll get the voucher to apply on 1 exam to pass it for free

Of course if you fail you’ll have to pay the next try
[OP]
Aug 30, 2007
773 posts
1460 upvotes
Calgary
SPYderBra wrote: So about 20 hours to get a free try?
People go through the modules at their own pace. Some people take 20 hours, others, who aren’t using the MS Learn modules as study tool, take 20 mins. Either way, you get to write an MS cert exam for free.
Nov 8, 2017
137 posts
87 upvotes
RockyMtns27 wrote: People go through the modules at their own pace. Some people take 20 hours, others, who aren’t using the MS Learn modules as study tool, take 20 mins. Either way, you get to write an MS cert exam for free.
Be smart, obviously. Studying for the actual exam will take you much longer than 20 hours. To get the free exam voucher, you only need to go through all the modules (ie, click 'next' for each of the slides). So obviously, just go through it to get the voucher from Microsoft, which I think has a generous expiry date of several months. Then go through the material thoroughly once you're ready to actually go through the exam.
Nov 14, 2017
834 posts
1494 upvotes
Vancouver
So as someone who has no knowledge of Azure but wants to start a career in Azure, is there a specific exam I should try for?
Nov 8, 2017
137 posts
87 upvotes
RedFlagCrake wrote: So as someone who has no knowledge of Azure but wants to start a career in Azure, is there a specific exam I should try for?
Extremely difficult to say. I have seen postings like Azure Data Engineer on Linkedin for big consultancies like Deloitte, but clearly, they have a bunch of other requirements like Comp Sci degree, X amount of experience, etc.

I am by no means an expert, but I don't think any of these certs will get you a job, by themselves. If someone knows better, please correct me.

Most of them are just promotional material for Microsoft; and usually people within an organization that's seeking to transition to Microsoft Cloud are hired internally, or the organization trains someone who is doing something else for the company in Microsoft certs, and then create a position for them to handle their new Azure related tasks.

I don't know to what extent companies just hire someone based off Microsoft Certs.
Last edited by AkiraK on Nov 9th, 2021 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Aug 30, 2007
773 posts
1460 upvotes
Calgary
AkiraK wrote:
I don't know to what extent people just hire someone based off Microsoft Certs.
Truthfully, they don’t. Everyone realizes that these exams are a small subset of the hard and soft skills and experience you’ll need to be an admin or cloud architect, for example.

That said, if the algorithm that a shop is using to filter it’s initial candidate pool lists includes this cert, then you may stand a better chance of making it to an interview than a similar candidate without said certification.

Tbh, that’s about it, from my experience on both sides of the IT hiring table.
Last edited by RockyMtns27 on Nov 9th, 2021 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 8, 2017
137 posts
87 upvotes
RockyMtns27 wrote: Truthfully, they don’t. Everyone realizes that these exams are a small subset of the hard and soft skills and experience you’ll need to be an admin or cloud architect, for example.

However, if the algorithm that a shop is using to filter it’s initial candidate pool lists includes this cert, then you stand a better chance of making it to an interview than someone without said certification.

Tbh, that’s about it, from my experience on both sides of the IT hiring table.
I agree definitely that these Certs are nice to have. I have several Azure certs, and may work on a few more. But I really don't know, objectively, what value they have. I mean that sincerely.

If there are two candidates interviewing for an Azure-based role, and candidate one has a Comp Sci/IT degree and/or experience but no Azure Certs, and candidate two only has Azure Certs and/or experience, I would imagine most companies will hire the former, because it's a lot easier to train someone to get Azure Certs than it is to get them a degree.

I get the feeling that every time we have one of these Azure threads on RFD, a lot of people (myself included) who don't have a Comp Sci/IT background come in thinking they can get some of the certs, even the hard/expert level ones, and get some sort of job for them, and I don't know if that's really an effective strategy.
Jan 3, 2013
635 posts
252 upvotes
Winnipeg
K81024 wrote: Maybe someone could help me out here?
I'm looking to change careers, going into IT. Was thinking of doing my Comptia certs to find an entry level help desk job.
Which one of these (if any) would help towards my resume and learning?
Close to twenty years of IT service management here.

These two would be great on your resume.

MD-100: Windows 10
MD-101: Managing Modern Desktops

The 101 is more desktop support role, but still valuable.

Look into getting your ITIL foundations certificate.

Learn how to answer questions in SAR and STAR format.

Situation actions results
Situation task actions results

Look into what global knowledge is offering for free. Right now they're doing free Azure Fundamentals.

Microsoft Learning also offers many free courses.

I would spend money on the ITIL over the Comptia any day of the week.

Best of luck.
Banned
Oct 11, 2021
5 posts
4 upvotes
Hi

RedFlagCrake,

Hope you are well. here is the answer of your query.

Microsoft offers a role-based Azure Certification structure which is designed into fundamental, associate, and expert levels. You may choose the certification purely to build knowledge and skills related to market job roles.

Microsoft has introduced the following nine Microsoft Azure certifications with eleven exams, which are organized into three levels

1. First and Foremost, Azure Fundamentals (AZ-900)
2. Second, Azure Administrator Associate (AZ-104)
3. Thirdly, Azure Developer Associate (AZ-204)
4. Next, Azure Data Engineer Associate (DP-200, DP-201)
5. Azure Security Engineer Associate (AZ-500)
6. Also, Azure AI Engineer Associate (AI-102)
7. Further, Azure Data Scientist Associate (DP-100)
8. Next, Azure Solutions Architect Expert (AZ-303, AZ-304)
9. Lastly, Azure DevOps Engineer Expert (AZ-400)

Hope this information will be helpful to you. If you need further guidelines regarding these certification exams you can contact me.

Bye.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2735 posts
1157 upvotes
Quebec
AkiraK wrote: I agree definitely that these Certs are nice to have. I have several Azure certs, and may work on a few more. But I really don't know, objectively, what value they have. I mean that sincerely.

If there are two candidates interviewing for an Azure-based role, and candidate one has a Comp Sci/IT degree and/or experience but no Azure Certs, and candidate two only has Azure Certs and/or experience, I would imagine most companies will hire the former, because it's a lot easier to train someone to get Azure Certs than it is to get them a degree.

I get the feeling that every time we have one of these Azure threads on RFD, a lot of people (myself included) who don't have a Comp Sci/IT background come in thinking they can get some of the certs, even the hard/expert level ones, and get some sort of job for them, and I don't know if that's really an effective strategy.
I use them cuz job offer a 3k raise for each exam you pass in the list they give you

I did the ms-700 and ms-100 atm
[OP]
Aug 30, 2007
773 posts
1460 upvotes
Calgary
Just got the confirmation email that the 2021 MS Cloud Skills Challenge has ended.

Successful challengers will have their Microsoft Learn profiles credited with one free exam on Dec 7th.

Congrats to everyone who completed the Challenge, now onto booking the exams!!!

MS_Cloud_Skills_Challenge_Nov21.jpg
Nov 17, 2009
94 posts
54 upvotes
St. John's
RedFlagCrake wrote: So as someone who has no knowledge of Azure but wants to start a career in Azure, is there a specific exam I should try for?
I would recommend starting with the AZ-900 Azure Fundamentals exam. Its a good introduction to cloud computing and Azure in general. You'll need all this basic knowledge anyways regardless of which specialized Azure path you take, so its a nice way to get your feet wet with MS Azure cert exams. That exam is usually available for free as well via a number of vendors/MS by taking a free training course.
I found it really helpful as it got me used to the exam format and its an easy way to demonstrate you have a basic understanding of cloud computing tech. It might also help you decide which area you find most interesting as well, and help you figure out where area of cloud you want to focus on.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
1261 posts
575 upvotes
YYC
Anyone get their certificate yet?
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4448 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto
Did anyone claim the voucher? Email says claim before March 15, does that mean that we need to take the exam before that date? Planning take AZ-104, need to plan to take some vacation to prepare it.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Jul 8, 2019
984 posts
813 upvotes
How to check if I have received the voucher or not?