Yorkdale
Images
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
6 replies
Nov 8, 2008
403 posts
433 upvotes
The display is abysmal (15", 1366x768) and is probably enough to rule this laptop out on its own. Even if you're going to run it with a monitor 99% of the time, it's still not a fantastic deal. The 128 GB SSD is maybe passable for someone using it just for online tasks, but start installing or storing anything and that's quickly going to be insufficient too.

Maybe for an older person who wanted things on screen to appear large, and just needs something cheap for email/YouTube/Netflix. Although honestly a used laptop would probably be better at this point, or the Lenovo 14W that pops up from time to time for $200ish.
Mar 15, 2019
243 posts
219 upvotes
Yes it is.

Cheap because the OS is Win10-S.

SSD is easy and cheap to upgrade, many people donèt need larger ones
Aug 9, 2019
5 posts
69 upvotes
Its warm. You will feel the lack of performance on the lowest one, especially when windows is running tasks in the background or if you haven't run it in a while and all your apps try to update.

I seem to see a similar version of the i7 at that price range everytime there's a "big sale", so you certainly can find a similar deal another time.

As mentioned above, the screen is not great.
Sep 1, 2014
41 posts
68 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
That screen resolution is a bummer. Also, it doesn't say if 10 gen i5 model is the one with Iris graphics or not. Backlit kbd? Their 'regular' price is a joke. Anyway, I personally like the formal-ish design of HP products. Overall, it's not a good deal at that price and specs
Nov 8, 2013
56 posts
17 upvotes
Calgary
is the 10nth gen i5 with 512 gb ssd not a decent deal? I haven't seen much better around recently other than the lenovos that sold out quick. looking for a laptop for my older mother.
Jul 28, 2009
70 posts
32 upvotes
I think the i5 model is a good deal. Nothing with comparable spec goes for that much. Yes the screen resolution isn't great, but good for day to day, plus this laptop is a touch screen. Just bought the i3 version of this but will go and get the i5 instead for my mom.

the i5 with 8GB of RAM and a 512 SSD powers through most things on windows 10. Even the i3 with 8GB of RAM is pretty excellent for day to day on windows 10. Sometimes I think RFD is a bit detached from the reality of what an average user is looking for in laptops.