Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 21, 2013
178 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto

Microsoft office

I'm buying a new laptop and this software doesn't come installed. It goes fo $140. Anyone know if it is possible to download this for free somewhere or will I have to purchase it?
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
student? 79.99 for 4 years of office 365. tons of schools also get it for free - check your edu email with the rfd forum freebies page i believe.

google office 2016 preview - its free until release on beta now as of yesterday.

otherwise? its possible to download it yes.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2013
178 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Not a student; where to download it from?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2561 posts
735 upvotes
Ottawa
Faith786 wrote: Not a student; where to download it from?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=where+to+download+ ... ffice+from

if you meant downloading pirated/stolen/hacked software, you are at wrong place then.

if you trully looking for legit free alternative, then you can find few here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=free+alternative+t ... oft+office
IT Services provider in Ottawa area.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2053 posts
609 upvotes
Hamilton
Many large companies have a home use program that lets you buy a license at deep discount. In addition Microsoft let's you get educational pricing if you have kids in school.

Lastly if you use outlook.com there's a web version that's viable for some stuff.
May 21, 2008
893 posts
151 upvotes
Ottawa
If you won't be using MS outlook, the best free alternative is Apache OpenOffice.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1499 posts
372 upvotes
yanksingh wrote: If you won't be using MS outlook, the best free alternative is Apache OpenOffice.
Wrong.

Get LibreOffice instead.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14724 posts
4852 upvotes
Montreal
Faith786 wrote: I'm buying a new laptop and this software doesn't come installed. It goes fo $140. Anyone know if it is possible to download this for free somewhere or will I have to purchase it?
just use libreoffice (my favorite) or open office instead.

I was a bit worried about making the change, but a few days after loading libreoffice on my school laptop and my productivity actually increased. it more like a new and updated version of "old office" than new office is and writer is preferable to word for me, and many reviewers and publications agree. I also prefer base to access since I use MySQL a lot. the only area that office wins for my use is powerpoint, but that's not a primary usage tool.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2013
178 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Can someone provide a safe site from which to download libreoffice from.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
154 upvotes
Wood Bridge
Faith786 wrote: Not a student; where to download it from?
asking where to obtain pirated/illegal software on this forum is strictly prohibited and against the rules, and repeat/further discussion can result in you being permanently banned and/or disciplined up to and including termination, and if the police catches you with illegal Microsoft word on your computer, you might go to jail.

Do you really want your son/daughter or wife to have to bail your ass out of jail? No? I thought so.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2013
178 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Stronzo1 wrote: asking where to obtain pirated/illegal software on this forum is strictly prohibited and against the rules, and repeat/further discussion can result in you being permanently banned and/or disciplined up to and including termination, and if the police catches you with illegal Microsoft word on your computer, you might go to jail.

Do you really want your son/daughter or wife to have to bail your ass out of jail? No? I thought so.
Calm down. No where did I mention I wanted to illegally download anything. All I was asking was if there was a place where it could be downloaded without cost. It was just a query. My tech knowledge is limited so that that's why I asked.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
154 upvotes
Wood Bridge
george__ wrote: Libreoffice
he (or she) specifically asked for microsoft office not liberoffice. if someone asks for a rogers plan and u suggest a telus plan, thats kind of what you are doing now
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1499 posts
372 upvotes
Stronzo1 wrote: asking where to obtain pirated/illegal software on this forum is strictly prohibited and against the rules, and repeat/further discussion can result in you being permanently banned and/or disciplined up to and including termination, and if the police catches you with illegal Microsoft word on your computer, you might go to jail.

Take a chill pill.
Aug 21, 2012
824 posts
104 upvotes
Microsoft doesnt care that you pirate Office. They have an anti-competitive monopoly on Office software, if people suddenly had to start paying for it then you'd see a lot more documents released in open formats. They make money when you pirate their software as it maintains the worlds dependence on them.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
22274 posts
35781 upvotes
ONTARIO
Keigotw wrote: you can install Office 2016 preview https://products.office.com/en-us/office-2016-preview
and keep using it until final comes out
+1

Installed tonight. Works well. My license is good until Nov. 2nd. Hopefully by then the final version of Office 16 will be out and then I can "extend" another 180 days by downloading the trial for that.