Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Microsoft Store

Asus Vivobook 15 on sale $449 - 15.6" FHD touchscreen Intel i3-1005G1 4GB 128GB SSD

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2021 11:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1431 posts
1299 upvotes
ON
Hugh wrote: That may be, but it doesn't line up with a naive reading of the spec sheets.
The IPC figures should be identical since the microarchitecture should be identical.
The clocks speeds are nominally significantly faster in the 14nm chip.

There were many symptoms (that I don't remember) of Intel's 10nm distress. Certainly there were products delayed by about 2 years, there were products that were barely functional and shipped only for show. There were clock limitations. It's all very sad since Intel's best fabs were ahead of all others on chip processes for perhaps 25 years. One hopes they will be again.

Performance these days is strongly affected by cooling. Notebooks, particularly thin and light or inexpensive ones, are often poor at cooling. The performance of the two laptops is more likely limited by cooling solutions than the processor chips.

Having said all that, these notebook's CPU differences are likely way less important than other difference
  • I find screen quality very important. IPS is usually a step up.
  • Thankfully both displays are FullHD resolution.
  • Are the keyboards OK? If you care, do they have backlighting?
  • How long can you run on a single battery charge?
  • Can you upgrade the RAM? (The ASUS probably allows upgrades)
  • I find touch convenient once in a while. Others seem to love it or hate it.
  • Windows 10s is as good as normal 10 because you can switch to normal for free.
I agree with your points. The 20% CPU speed delta won't make a big difference when playing a Youtube video or browsing the interwebs. And yes, the cooling solution is more important than raw CPU speed, otherwise after 30 seconds of full speed the CPU will be thermally throttled. I would expect though that both laptops have a similar "entry level" cooling solution with a couple of heatpipes.
My main "media consumption" laptop (an Asus 2in1) has a Pentium Silver N5000 and 4 GB of RAM, way slower than these i3s, and it's holding well, I would replace it though with an IPS screen, good speakers (not tinny) and ideally a backlit keyboard.

Between these two, all things equals, I would get the Acer because of the screen, even if generally I don't like Acer, but at this price, I would risk it. But only if touchscreen is not needed, because the Acer doesn't have it. For me it's a showstopper.

I would get this Lenovo from Microsoft as well https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/d/lenov ... chspecstab
8 GB RAM, so no need to upgrade (being a Lenovo I don't expect it to be upgradeable anyway), 14" IPS touchscreen. At $570 it's not bad, but not a hot deal. If it was $500, it would have been an instabuy for me.