Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Microsoft Store

Dell 15.6" inspiron 5000 laptop $549

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2018 5:23 pm
Feb 15, 2008
587 posts
529 upvotes
Toronto
JackWhyte wrote: Is it confirmed backlit?

It seems lots of the MS Dell laptops say "Backlit Keyboard" but actually come with a standard one.
Yes, backlit keyboard.
Images
  • 20171201_093910.jpg
Nov 12, 2017
32 posts
25 upvotes
The_Edge wrote: Yes, the keyboard is back lit. I've just finished setting it up yesterday with an SSD.
It sounds like the laptop is compatible with both m.2 SATA and pci-e. Did you use one of these or a 2.5" drive?
May 1, 2010
10 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
I had already bought a SATA SSD with the intention of upgrading my desktop but ended up using it for the laptop. I'll convert the 1TB hard drive to an external drive once I get an enclosure.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
I swear MS store has like 10 units of each sale item. I have been checking during the last year. Whatever one I want is always sold out. Worse than Stooples or OOS.
Aug 4, 2007
720 posts
4263 upvotes
Mississauga
Teioh wrote: I'm thinking of buying this screen to replace the shitty panel that is in this laptop:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-15-6-AU-Opt ... XQWlFRqAq1

Any reason this wouldn't work with this model?
So, let me get it straight, you want to buy a screen with a resolution of 1366×768 "with a little dead pixels" (per seller's disclosure) to replace a "shitty" FHD screen? :rolleyes:
Apr 7, 2006
495 posts
625 upvotes
Thankfully i didn't buy that panel. I found a donor panel from last years i5559 signature edition deal and swapped them around. It's night and day difference in terms of how much better it is to use this laptop now.
Aug 4, 2007
720 posts
4263 upvotes
Mississauga
Teioh wrote: Thankfully i didn't buy that panel. I found a donor panel from last years i5559 signature edition deal and swapped them around. It's night and day difference in terms of how much better it is to use this laptop now.
Full HD and a touch screen?
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2011
2448 posts
703 upvotes
FrostyWinnipeg wrote: Any rumours about their 10 Days of Deals?
Waiting for those to be exposed soon as wellElectric Light Bulb
Teioh wrote: Thankfully i didn't buy that panel. I found a donor panel from last years i5559 signature edition deal and swapped them around. It's night and day difference in terms of how much better it is to use this laptop now.
Could you write up a complete guide on what procedure you used to replace the lcd on this model with the new one you got? And what source you used to retrieve one? Ebay or kijiji?
Dells got to have an option to change the display before they send it out to you if you just call them.
I am pretty sure they won't mind charging you more for a better screen then the one offered on this particular model.
I am sure of it.Winking Face
Apr 7, 2006
495 posts
625 upvotes
There are about a billion guides on youtube on how to do it. It's really easy to do, here is an example.

I was able to get my hands on a screen for free from a family member. Many people use the site https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/ to order their screens.

You want to find an IPS 1920x1080 screen that has a 40 pin connector for this laptop.
Jun 21, 2001
195 posts
92 upvotes
i was able to install a 512gb m.2 nvme 2280 sdd (intel 600p) plus keeping the original HDD as a backup document storage
and installed an identical ddr4 stick of ram to enable dual channel mode
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hynix-HMA81GS6A ... 1438.l2649
pretty much pimped it out as much as i can so far, it will be my non gaming desktop replacement
Dec 29, 2016
249 posts
35 upvotes
waldox wrote: i was able to install a 512gb m.2 nvme 2280 sdd (intel 600p) plus keeping the original HDD as a backup document storage
pretty much pimped it out as much as i can so far, it will be my non gaming desktop replacement
Can you please share the RAM specs? The link you sent is dead. I'm looking to upgrade mine as well. How much you pay for it?
Aug 4, 2007
720 posts
4263 upvotes
Mississauga
waldox wrote: i was able to install a 512gb m.2 nvme 2280 sdd (intel 600p) plus keeping the original HDD as a backup document storage
What software did you use to transfer your HDD to SSD?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)