Expired Hot Deals

[Microsoft Store] Dell Inspiron 15 i5-7300HQ, 8GB, GTX 1060, 1TB HDD + 128GB SSD, 15.6" FHD $1,199.00

[OP]
Mar 4, 2015
284 posts
211 upvotes
Vancouver

[Microsoft Store] Dell Inspiron 15 i5-7300HQ, 8GB, GTX 1060, 1TB HDD + 128GB SSD, 15.6" FHD $1,199.00

Comes with a somewhat meh processor (gee, a 25% increase in speed over what's in my 7 year old laptop, that's so swell) but it's a laptop with a 1060 for $1,200.

So many overpriced laptops with 1050s out there now :(
24 replies
Jul 29, 2017
109 posts
27 upvotes
8 GB ram is a bit of a let down, any gaming laptop with less than 16 GB ram will have some trouble going forward, unless the rams are not soldered and can be upgraded by the user.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
2844 posts
1202 upvotes
Markham
Hitnake wrote: 8 GB ram is a bit of a let down, any gaming laptop with less than 16 GB ram will have some trouble going forward, unless the rams are not soldered and can be upgraded by the user.
So yeah this is not an ultrabook so RAM is totally upgradeable
Not buying something on sale ISN'T a crime, buying something not on sale IS.
Apr 30, 2008
71 posts
38 upvotes
Games like pubg mod have been utilizing hyperthreading. If this had the i7 I would be getting it.
Jul 15, 2017
360 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
Hitnake wrote: 8 GB ram is a bit of a let down, any gaming laptop with less than 16 GB ram will have some trouble going forward, unless the rams are not soldered and can be upgraded by the user.
First of all it's upgradeable. Second, 8 GB of ram will still be sufficient enough for gaming and normal usage for awhile (will remain the bare minimum at least) - especially considering the prices of RAM right now. Third, I don't know how 8 GB of ram is a let down compared to the CPU it has lol.. RAM is one of the last things to consider at when it comes to being 'futureproof'.

But overall this isn't a bad deal, specs alone make the price worth it.
Nov 27, 2008
195 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Got this laptop with the VR kit and it's great, 8 gig is fine but 16 would've been better just like the 128gb m2 ssd it comes with. It's a 1060 max q 6gb video card in it.

The only issue is if you upgrade the m2 ssd to a Samsung 960 500gb nvme m2 is the bios only boots it in raid. Which it comes in like that too with the 128gb. Other nvme ssd seem to install fine under ahci.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2007
2601 posts
630 upvotes
This model has traditionally used an absolutely TERRIBLE TN panel, like one of the lowest cost business class panels available. More recently, Dell did start using a better IPS panel...did anyone grab this and can confirm?

Also, there is a good chance the 1060 GPU is the "Max Q" version which is a lower tier chip. At least that's what's in all the reviews of this model.
Nov 4, 2014
209 posts
127 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I picked up this laptop during the 12 Days of Christmas sale which included the free WMR headset. I think the laptop is pretty good value for the sale price. It does have a 1060 Max Q version of the card so depending on which benchmarks you look at, can be up to 10-15% slower than a regular card. Everything runs pretty zippy for me though.

I am primarily using this laptop in a docked configuration so haven't really paid attention to the screen. Seems fine to me.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2003
1447 posts
2837 upvotes
Scarborough
Spudly204 wrote: I picked up this laptop during the 12 Days of Christmas sale which included the free WMR headset. I think the laptop is pretty good value for the sale price. It does have a 1060 Max Q version of the card so depending on which benchmarks you look at, can be up to 10-15% slower than a regular card. Everything runs pretty zippy for me though.

I am primarily using this laptop in a docked configuration so haven't really paid attention to the screen. Seems fine to me.
What was the price during the Christmas sale? Was it reg price with a free WMR headset or was there an additional discount too?
RFD Member # 3476!
Mar 2, 2004
890 posts
37 upvotes
Markham
freebie wrote: What was the price during the Christmas sale? Was it reg price with a free WMR headset or was there an additional discount too?

$1,188.00
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1306 posts
279 upvotes
klover wrote: This model has traditionally used an absolutely TERRIBLE TN panel, like one of the lowest cost business class panels available. More recently, Dell did start using a better IPS panel...did anyone grab this and can confirm?

Also, there is a good chance the 1060 GPU is the "Max Q" version which is a lower tier chip. At least that's what's in all the reviews of this model.
Nope, this model has an IPS panel (7577 model).

Yes, this one got the Max Q version, but it's really not an issue since the difference is little compared to the full one.

I have this laptop for almost the same price but with I7 and 16GB RAM. For this price I would say it's still a good value/price.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1306 posts
279 upvotes
Greign wrote: Got this laptop with the VR kit and it's great, 8 gig is fine but 16 would've been better just like the 128gb m2 ssd it comes with. It's a 1060 max q 6gb video card in it.

The only issue is if you upgrade the m2 ssd to a Samsung 960 500gb nvme m2 is the bios only boots it in raid. Which it comes in like that too with the 128gb. Other nvme ssd seem to install fine under ahci.
I wanted to upgrade mine (from 128 to 256). What is the actual issue here? I wanted to get this from Dell, which can be had for $130 from time to time.
Jun 7, 2017
189 posts
81 upvotes
Hold on to your money, kaby lake sale is getting more and more means new gen is about to come out.

IF you can't wait for another month, go for it. otherwise, i'll hold on till 8th gen comes out.
Dec 26, 2012
896 posts
683 upvotes
Quebec
Don't forget its a 1060 max-Q. Not the regular one. Not that big à difference but nice to know beforehand.
[OP]
Mar 4, 2015
284 posts
211 upvotes
Vancouver
XitrumX235298 wrote: Hold on to your money, kaby lake sale is getting more and more means new gen is about to come out.

IF you can't wait for another month, go for it. otherwise, i'll hold on till 8th gen comes out.
I'd agree with that but I haven't seen a single 8th gen with a decent GPU for under 2k. Think it will be a while before we see that :(
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1743 posts
158 upvotes
XitrumX235298 wrote: Hold on to your money, kaby lake sale is getting more and more means new gen is about to come out.

When does the 8th gen come out? I've been holding out to get a new computer since last year but prices have been outrageous. The concurrency bubble and shortage of flash memory isn't helping things either.
Jun 7, 2017
189 posts
81 upvotes
Former Kaby Lake was announced and released Q1 2017. I would believe it will be around same time. In fact some of the newer laptop already have 8th gen but they are just as ultrabook.

Might be a little bit late because of meltdown fiasco.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
1495 posts
791 upvotes
Guelph
TheRocker wrote: I wouldn't get a gaming laptop with a gtx 1050. You will be sry in the end..
I got the Acer VX 15 when it was on sale for $875 a few weeks ago. It has the 1050 in it. It's not a massive beast graphically and I completely understand the 1050 not being future proof... But Im looking for a budget laptop and I can't find anything close to that good of a deal. I got the 960 evo m.2 and the thing absolutely flies and games run exceptionally well. Every time I read this stuff about don't get a 1050 you'll regret it it makes me want to return it lol but getting anything better I'm looking into $1300+ on a good day. Ugh. I only have a few more days to return.

I do most of my gaming on my Xbox one x but want to pc game as well, not triple a day one games at max settings though... I'm curious how long 1050 will run things at a playble level. It plays destiny 2 flawlessly.