• Jul 28th, 2018 7:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4191 posts
3396 upvotes
Toronto

[Microsoft Store] Dell XPS 13 9370 2018 model $1,549

Seems like a great deal for the current gen XPS 13 i7 8GB/256GB model.

16GB RAM would be nice, but at $1,550 it compares well with the Matebook X everyone is dying to drop $1,549 on with 'student' pricing.

I actually ordered from the US Microsoft store at US $1,199 with free shipping to a state with no sales tax where I happen to be heading in a few days. So I'm saving a bit more even with the exchange rate but I might drop into the MS Store to see what deals can be had locally.

They seem eager to extend 'business' discounts at least on the Surface line of 8%.

If I could get the 8% off the Dell's $1,550 price, and then pay 13% tax ($1,610 total) it would compare well with the $1,627 CAD charge on my VISA for the $1,199 US price and I wouldn't have to worry about 'bought in the US' for warranty issues, if that's a concern for Dell (I assume not but you never know).

Would be great to get the XPS 15 model at a discount, but the 13 is nice and portable. Might try this out but am also eager to see if the Surface Laptop gets an upgrade this fall to 8th gen CPU and USB C. Not likely on sale tho.
Last edited by torontotim on Jul 24th, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
13 replies
Mar 11, 2008
437 posts
913 upvotes
London
Just got off the phone with Dell for a warranty issue. Buyer beware when purchasing from Microsoft: the warranty period begins from Dell's ship date, not your purchase date. So if it sat in MS's warehouse for 6 months, your 1 year warranty is cut in half. Of course, if you buy from Dell... it's from your purchase date. How convenient. I only bring this up because you mentioned US vs Canada warranty concerns.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2001
1938 posts
1107 upvotes
Toronto
Have you try calling Microsoft store?
mrumble wrote: Just got off the phone with Dell for a warranty issue. Buyer beware when purchasing from Microsoft: the warranty period begins from Dell's ship date, not your purchase date. So if it sat in MS's warehouse for 6 months, your 1 year warranty is cut in half. Of course, if you buy from Dell... it's from your purchase date. How convenient. I only bring this up because you mentioned US vs Canada warranty concerns.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9580 posts
7219 upvotes
Kootenays
OP, please put the price in your thread titles. It saves the rest of us time.
Nov 16, 2010
67 posts
83 upvotes
Kitchener
I bought the i5/8/128 GB model for $1149 last week, then picked up a 512 GB Intel 760P SSD for $179 from Canada Computers - total before tax was $1328, and I ended up with a spare 128 GB SSD that I'll probably put in my gaming rig.

I picked up the "Rose Gold" model - not because I like the rose gold colour, but because the white "woven glass" palm rest doesn't show fingerprints like the black carbon fibre version does. Grabbed a Dbrand skin to put over the rose gold exterior ;-)

So far I'm quite happy with the XPS 13 - I had an XPS 15 9550 at one point and hated it - in part due to some build quality issues (the trackpad died an early death), and in part due to Dell's bungled BIOS updates (little things like reducing the # of backlight levels from 20 to 5, or breaking thunderbolt support). It seems like they've got things figured out with the XPS 13 overall.

One thing to note is that out of the box my battery showed a max 95% of original capacity (49 Whr actual vs. 52 Whr design). I recalibrated the battery last night and now I'm getting the full 52 Whr.
Mar 11, 2008
437 posts
913 upvotes
London
lurker99 wrote: Have you try calling Microsoft store?
They sent me to Dell in the first place... I'm sure with some escalation from Microsoft the issue will be resolved. But it's a headache I plan to avoid next time. To be clear, by beef is with Dell for advertising a warranty that they intentionally sabotage. Microsoft has been good in past experiences.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8628 upvotes
GTHA
mrumble wrote: Just got off the phone with Dell for a warranty issue. Buyer beware when purchasing from Microsoft: the warranty period begins from Dell's ship date, not your purchase date. So if it sat in MS's warehouse for 6 months, your 1 year warranty is cut in half. Of course, if you buy from Dell... it's from your purchase date. How convenient. I only bring this up because you mentioned US vs Canada warranty concerns.
You can submit your Microsoft invoice/receipt to Dell to set the warranty start date.

The limited hardware warranty on all Dell-branded products purchased directly from Dell begins on the date of the packing slip, invoice, receipt or other sales documentation. For products purchased from third-party retailers or resellers, the limited hardware warranty begins on the date of your original sales receipt. The warranty period is not extended if we repair or replace a warranted product or any parts. Dell may change the availability of limited hardware warranties, at its discretion, but any changes will not be retroactive.

Source: https://www.dell.com/learn/ca/en/cacorp ... s#heading3
Dec 22, 2003
526 posts
86 upvotes
Mississauga
I don't think RAM is upgradable on these. So you are stuck with the 8GB
Dec 8, 2004
107 posts
60 upvotes
Coquitlam
drfyzziks wrote: I bought the i5/8/128 GB model for $1149 last week, then picked up a 512 GB Intel 760P SSD for $179 from Canada Computers - total before tax was $1328, and I ended up with a spare 128 GB SSD that I'll probably put in my gaming rig.

I picked up the "Rose Gold" model - not because I like the rose gold colour, but because the white "woven glass" palm rest doesn't show fingerprints like the black carbon fibre version does. Grabbed a Dbrand skin to put over the rose gold exterior ;-)

So far I'm quite happy with the XPS 13 - I had an XPS 15 9550 at one point and hated it - in part due to some build quality issues (the trackpad died an early death), and in part due to Dell's bungled BIOS updates (little things like reducing the # of backlight levels from 20 to 5, or breaking thunderbolt support). It seems like they've got things figured out with the XPS 13 overall.

One thing to note is that out of the box my battery showed a max 95% of original capacity (49 Whr actual vs. 52 Whr design). I recalibrated the battery last night and now I'm getting the full 52 Whr.
Does the skin cover the complete lid or will the edge be left exposed with the Rose Gold colour?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2010
5153 posts
1106 upvotes
Bought one, sent it back. XPS 13 (9370) is a brilliant looking machine but a few things bothered me: Only USB C, fan noise, keyboard backlight with white keyboard not a good combo, mediocre wi-fi... Oddly enough my Yoga 2 Pro seemed faster (boots faster, wifi doesn't stutter on 4k video, etc...).
Nov 16, 2010
67 posts
83 upvotes
Kitchener
c5davey wrote: Does the skin cover the complete lid or will the edge be left exposed with the Rose Gold colour?
The skin I got from dbrand covers the top completely, despite the installation instructions claiming that there would be a 0.5 mm border around the skin. That said, the *edge* of the display/lid is not covered, so if you look at it from the side you'll see a flash of rose gold. I picked a bamboo skin for the top and that colour seems to mute the pink in the rose gold, so it just looks like gold trim to me now (although I still really wish Dell would've released the woven fibre keyboard deck with a silver lid). My MacBook is still my primary machine, but this makes a nice portable Linux/Win10 box for the price.
Nov 16, 2010
67 posts
83 upvotes
Kitchener
DaddyKap wrote: I don't think RAM is upgradable on these. So you are stuck with the 8GB
Confirmed. You can upgrade the SSD easily enough but the RAM is soldered on.