• Oct 15th, 2019 9:55 pm
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3091 posts
2493 upvotes
Markham
drdtyc wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 8:44 pm
I swiped the eMMC drive and installed Xubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (which is based on Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS but with the Xfce desktop environment).

Now I have a second thought. I have reinstalled Windows 10 Home to the whole eMMC disk. The eMMC disk has about 19GB occupied by Windows 10. I will next install a light weight Linux distro, e.g. Bodhi Linux, which is based on Ubuntu, but which can work comfortably with 15GB disk space (this is already 3 x the minimum disk space required by such a Linux distro). This would let Windows 10 has the rest which is about 45GB, which is more than 2 x of the base Winbdows 10 of 19GB. I think this setup will work fine and I will have the best of both worlds.

I will find a low profile micro SD adapter fitted with a micro SD card as an external drive permantly plugged in to the SD card slot. I can transfer documents to this microSD while running one OS. Then boot up the second OS and transfer documents back to it for use. Such a method avoids any cloud based transfer of documents between the two OS's.
My final set up is Windows 10 (about 42GB) and Xubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (about 20GB). Everything runs fine so far.
Still having this problem of the laptop booting up automatically to Windows 10.
I have to press esc key during boot up and then press F9 key to manually select OS Boot Manager (UEFI) - Ubuntu which is the second entry in the selection menu. Incidentally OS Boot Manager (UEFI) - Windows is the first entry in that same selection menu. I cannot find a way to swap these two entries and save the revised sequence permanently.

Not a big deal. But I would love to hear anyone who has a dual OS set up like me and who could make this laptop to boot automatically to Ubuntu. Please do share if you can. Thanks!
Jul 30, 2010
466 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
RxMills wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 12:50 pm
Yes, what you said.

I have windows flying on tablets and sticks with 1GB RAM and taking up 8-12GB disk space. Tweaks required and occasional cleaning of course. Disabling and uninstalling useless stuff too.

Do you have a guide for this that you follow or can point to some link? I am working with an old hp mini 110 which could use an upgrade as it currently has windows 7 starter with 1 gig of ram.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3091 posts
2493 upvotes
Markham
hyperzore wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 8:20 pm
Do you have a guide for this that you follow or can point to some link? I am working with an old hp mini 110 which could use an upgrade as it currently has windows 7 starter with 1 gig of ram.
If you are trying to speed up Windows 7 starter on your old gear, why not trying a light weight and efficient Linux distro which usually runs very smoothly on old gears. Google Lubuntu or Puppy Linux or to find out more. These two Linux distros need very little ram and computing power.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1287 posts
769 upvotes
Vancouver
I once had a step by step. I'll try to locate it I've now done it so many times.

Generally speaking, it's removing everything (or disabling things) that shouldn't be running on minimal resourced systems...

- big hibernate files
- old windows installs
- apps that are never used
- disable things in msconfig for startup (especially bloatware)
- all the advanced visual features (shadowing, etc.)

On one system, I even shut down the a/v, fine if you're going to highly reputable sites and not using email on it
- find substitutes for things like Adobe reader

etc.

The challenge is keeping those 1gb systems lean as sys updates and app updates sometimes turn things back on.

Others have mentioned the steps in the link from post #54 I think but that's only part of the solution. Searching "make windows X run faster on tablets" will give you some good tips.
hyperzore wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 8:20 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2876 posts
523 upvotes
Toronto
drdtyc wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 12:04 pm
My final set up is Windows 10 (about 42GB) and Xubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (about 20GB). Everything runs fine so far.
Still having this problem of the laptop booting up automatically to Windows 10.
I have to press esc key during boot up and then press F9 key to manually select OS Boot Manager (UEFI) - Ubuntu which is the second entry in the selection menu. Incidentally OS Boot Manager (UEFI) - Windows is the first entry in that same selection menu. I cannot find a way to swap these two entries and save the revised sequence permanently.

Not a big deal. But I would love to hear anyone who has a dual OS set up like me and who could make this laptop to boot automatically to Ubuntu. Please do share if you can. Thanks!
I don't have one of these notebooks, so what I say is theoretical.

Perhaps this discussion should be in the new thread you created hp-stream-14-2019-edition-n4000-cpu-192 ... ns-2314532

There is a command in Fedora "efibootmgr" that can show you what's up with the (U)EFI boot settings. It was created by Red Hat, but I assume that Ubuntu also has it, perhaps in an optional package.

This is good for exploring and even altering the boot choices. Try with and without the --verbose flag. I've found it a bit awkward because Windows entries tend to use UTF-16 (a really dumb standard) whereas Linux tends to use UTF-8 (and therefore mostly the ASCII-like 7-bit subset). iconv(1) can awkwardly convert to and from UTF-16. Beware: you can lose an OS by the wrong alteration.

The firmware setup screen should allow modification, but too often the interface is quirky and non-intuitive and even hidden. I certainly cannot explore it for you.

On one notebook, I could not get rid of or de-prioritize the Windows entry: it would keep coming back. I ended up deleting the file that it tried to load, forcing the firmware to use the next entry. But I didn't intend to ever boot Windows on that machine so I could be destructive. Perhaps you can accomplish the same thing by renaming the file. I think that the file is \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi (/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgr.efi in a running Linux system).

Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
6266 posts
2241 upvotes
Ordered on Sept 13 and to this day it is still pending. Anyone else with the same predicament?
Dec 3, 2007
328 posts
251 upvotes
domo325 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 11:37 am
Ordered on Sept 13 and to this day it is still pending. Anyone else with the same predicament?
Same. Ordered on the 12th
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
1471 posts
520 upvotes
I ordered on the 14th and it's set to arrive tomorrow.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
6266 posts
2241 upvotes
froesesp wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 12:12 pm
I ordered on the 14th and it's set to arrive tomorrow.
Nice. Why are they randomly shipping it out though? Perhaps it depends on method of payment? I paid via paypal.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3302 posts
2686 upvotes
The NORTH
glib wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 12:03 pm
Same. Ordered on the 12th
Same boat, ordered on the 12th and had my credit card charged immediately. Still pending....
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3091 posts
2493 upvotes
Markham
Hugh wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 10:59 am
I don't have one of these notebooks, so what I say is theoretical.

Perhaps this discussion should be in the new thread you created hp-stream-14-2019-edition-n4000-cpu-192 ... ns-2314532

There is a command in Fedora "efibootmgr" that can show you what's up with the (U)EFI boot settings. It was created by Red Hat, but I assume that Ubuntu also has it, perhaps in an optional package.

This is good for exploring and even altering the boot choices. Try with and without the --verbose flag. I've found it a bit awkward because Windows entries tend to use UTF-16 (a really dumb standard) whereas Linux tends to use UTF-8 (and therefore mostly the ASCII-like 7-bit subset). iconv(1) can awkwardly convert to and from UTF-16. Beware: you can lose an OS by the wrong alteration.

The firmware setup screen should allow modification, but too often the interface is quirky and non-intuitive and even hidden. I certainly cannot explore it for you.

On one notebook, I could not get rid of or de-prioritize the Windows entry: it would keep coming back. I ended up deleting the file that it tried to load, forcing the firmware to use the next entry. But I didn't intend to ever boot Windows on that machine so I could be destructive. Perhaps you can accomplish the same thing by renaming the file. I think that the file is \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi (/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgr.efi in a running Linux system).

Good luck.
I got this listing when I did a efibootmgr command on the terminal window:
~$ sudo efibootmgr -v
[sudo] password for drdtyc:
BootCurrent: 0002
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 2001,0001,3001,0002,2002,2004
Boot0001* Windows Boot Manager HD(2,GPT,f19ba314-fda9-43d0-9b7d-5e66ccfc9f61,0x109000,0x32000)/File(\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi)WINDOWS.........x...B.C.D.O.B.J.E.C.T.=.{.9.d.e.a.8.6.2.c.-.5.c.d.d.-.4.e.7.0.-.a.c.c.1.-.f.3.2.b.3.4.4.d.4.7.9.5.}...,................
Boot0002* ubuntu HD(2,GPT,f19ba314-fda9-43d0-9b7d-5e66ccfc9f61,0x109000,0x32000)/File(\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi)
Boot2001* EFI USB Device RC
Boot3001* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk RC
Thus it seems the Windows Boot Manager is in the following file:
\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
and the Ubuntu Boot Manager is in the following file:
\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi

I am thinking of doing two command like this:
C1. Copy the originial Windows Boot Manager file to one level up the directory tree:
$ sudo cp /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/bootmgfw.efi
C2. Then overwrite the original Windows Boot Manager by the Ubuntu Boot Manager:
$ sudo cp /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

But I have two questions:
Q1. Should I replace shimx64.efi by grubx64.efi instead in the second command above?
$ sudo cp /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

Q2. if answer to Q1 is yes, do I need to also copy grub configuration file too to the Microsoft boot directory?
$ sudo cp /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grub.cfg /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/grub.cfg

The ubuntu boot directory has the following files:
$ sudo ls /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu
BOOTX64.CSV fw fwupx64.efi grub.cfg grubx64.efi mmx64.efi shimx64.efi
I presume the grub.cfg is the grub configuration file.

Please advise, if you may. Thanks!
Last edited by drdtyc on Sep 17th, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1822 posts
716 upvotes
White Rock
I ordered this HP Stream for an old friend and set it up for her. I want to keep it in S Mode.
I got this message on Microsoft website in Edge "your device is running an older version of windows 10" and downloaded this file "Windows10Upgrade28088.exe", but Windows won't let me install it because it's in S Mode.

Then I found this article:
Windows10Upgrade28088.exe in S Mode

There is a user answer to do it in Command Prompt (admin):
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver

Restart and try again.

Is it the right thing to do? Thanks!
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2876 posts
523 upvotes
Toronto
drdtyc wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 2:40 pm
I got this listing when I did a efibootmgr command on the terminal window:

Thus it seems the Windows Boot Manager is in the following file:
\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
and the Ubuntu Boot Manager is in the following file:
\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi

I am thinking of doing two command like this:
C1. Copy the originial Windows Boot Manager file to one level up the directory tree:
$ sudo cp /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/bootmgfw.efi
C2. Then overwrite the original Windows Boot Manager by the Ubuntu Boot Manager:
$ sudo cp /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

But I have two questions:
Q1. Should I replace shimx64.efi by grubx64.efi instead in the second command above?
$ sudo cp /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

Q2. if answer to Q1 is yes, do I need to also copy grub configuration file too to the Microsoft boot directory?
$ sudo cp /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grub.cfg /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/grub.cfg

The ubuntu boot directory has the following files:

I presume the grub.cfg is the grub configuration file.

Please advise, if you may. Thanks!
*.efi are programs or modules intended to be run by the UEFI firmware, before an OS is loaded.

grub.cfg is a text file. You can read it like any other text file while you are running Linux. You probably have to use sudo. But don't edit it: the system rebuilds it whenever you update the kernel.

I've only encountered so many of the possible problems. And I forget many of my paths through them. I don't have a recent HP device.

(To be honest, different HP devices may have different firmware. HP doesn't make notebooks. They are made by ODM companies (example ODM: Foxconn).)

If I remember correctly, shimx64.efi is a thing that has been signed by Microsoft that allows Linux to boot with Secure Boot enabled. I think all Linuxes that are ready for Secure Boot use it (originally Red Hat and Suse). I think that that's what you want to boot.

I don't know if there is a problem if you rename it (or create a copy with a different name). It should not be hard to add an extra boot entry to experiment with.

I don't have the time or equipment to help you much.

This guy knows stuff but it seems a little eccentric to me. And old. https://www.rodsbooks.com/linux-uefi/
Last edited by Hugh on Sep 17th, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 2, 2017
32 posts
37 upvotes
kr0zet wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 12:22 pm
Same boat, ordered on the 12th and had my credit card charged immediately. Still pending....
Same situation for me .