Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Microsoft Store

Huawei Matebook X Pro i5/i7 (1349$/1574$)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2018 12:41 pm
Dec 31, 2009
88 posts
30 upvotes
Richmond Hill
drfyzziks wrote: LOL! That just goes to show that there is no one "best" computer (well, not counting the old Commodore Amiga ;-) - everybody has different needs. As for the X1C6 - I think if I had gone with the FHD matte screen I might've been happier, at least initially. I spent some more time with it tonight and managed to get rid of the red bias entirely in the display, so it's looking pretty nice. Glossy as hell, but nice ;-) But the FHD matte would've been good right out of the box. The red bias is unique to the HDR display.

Honestly, after tinkering with the X1C6 for most of the day I'm leaning towards keeping it and passing on the MateBook. The MateBook is a good price for sure, but I love the ThinkPad keyboards - and the X1C6 form factor and weight are hard to give up. Plus while the "soft-touch" coating is a fingerprint magnet, it's also much nicer than metal-on-skin when the laptop heats up.

Well see, I have a few more days to make up my mind before I have to drop it off at UPS...
If you are using your device primarily for business, I would opt to keep the X1C6. In fact, I am going to return the Matebook X Pro (i7 edition) and buy one.

The Matebook X Pro is a good PC, but at $ 1,700+ for the i7, I don't think that it's a fabulous deal.

The screen is great.
The keyboard is very, very solid. Surprisingly good travel.

The touchpad is very weak. Unpleasant to use.
And the build quality is not as good as billed. Chassis flex on the right corner.

Finally, after years of having Thinkpads, I am just too accustomed to the 180 degree hinge that it's very difficult using a clamshell laptop that doesn't open as far. So, back to Thinkpad for me. That said, I do think the Matebook X Pro is a nice computer and will serve a big group of consumers well.
Jun 10, 2018
13 posts
4 upvotes
Just went to the Microsoft Store and explained the situation with them that I ordered the laptop online as well as a pre-order before June 11th. I asked if I could get the gift cards for the laptop by a return and repurchase method so i could free up my preorder spot right away. They had to ask the manager and they agreed to do that. I had to show my receipt for the online store, my preorder receipt and the box as they need to scan the UPC. They also seem to double checked that I made the online order before June 11th. So yes, is it possible to still get the gift cards as long as you have the documentation to back it up.
Last edited by MikeC53042 on Jun 23rd, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 27, 2018
12 posts
3 upvotes
Just ordered the i7, have been on the fence for a new laptop for awhile. Was looking at x1c, probably should have picked one up when Lenovo had their last long weekend sale...

But now time to build a gaming PC.
Aug 31, 2006
488 posts
284 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
MikeC53042 wrote: Just went to the Microsoft Store and explained the situation with them that I ordered the laptop online as well as a pre-order before June 11th. I asked if I could get the gift cards for the laptop by a return and repurchase method so i could free up my preorder spot right away. They had to ask the manager and they agreed to do that. I had to show my receipt for the online store, my preorder receipt and the box as they need to scan the UPC. They also seem to double checked that I made the online order before June 11th. So yes, is it possible to still get the gift cards as long as you have the documentation to back it up.

Which location? Did you put a deposit down for the in store preorder? They just put my name on a waiting list so I didn't get a preorder receipt...
Jun 10, 2018
13 posts
4 upvotes
KooJo wrote: Which location? Did you put a deposit down for the in store preorder? They just put my name on a waiting list so I didn't get a preorder receipt...
Calgary location. I didn't put any deposit down. It was a $0 receipt that they used to create the preorder.
Aug 31, 2006
488 posts
284 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
KooJo wrote: FWIW - I tried bringing mine into the Microsoft Store in Vancouver today and asking if I could return/repurchase in order to get the $300 GC... They said they can't do it unless they have store stock (the returned item must be sent back to the online store, they can't simply do a "return" and resell the same unit back to me). Said it would probably be August by the time they get any stock. Can't tell from your redacted receipt serial #s, but was it the exact same unit you did the return/repurchase for, or did they have one in stock in store?
Update - the staff and the Metrotown location (Burnaby) were great and able to do the refund repurchase for the $300 gc no problem at all, so YMMV.
Jun 10, 2018
13 posts
4 upvotes
KooJo wrote: Update - the staff and the Metrotown location (Burnaby) were great and able to do the refund repurchase for the $300 gc no problem at all, so YMMV.
Awesome to hear you got it. Yeah just need to find the right staff that is willing to go the extra mile.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2017
494 posts
115 upvotes
Without the $300 giftcard the laptop is a cold deal so why is everyone getting so excited about it?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5735 posts
1585 upvotes
Montreal
connman wrote: Haha ... I am in the exact opposite bind. I just got my Matebook X Pro, but waffling between returning it to Microsoft Store and going with the X1 Carbon 6th gen.

I love the 3:2 form factor because it's all about productivity for me, but I prefer a matte screen rather than a glossy screen for business. (I would not be purchasing the X1 with the HDR display as it is glossy, but with the non-HDR display which is anti-glare matte).

Half a pound is not a big difference in weight but when you travel a lot as I do, half a pound is meaningful.

I am coming over from a Thinkpad x220, so I love the Thinkpad line. On the other hand, I picked up a Pixelbook and am trying to migrate most productivity to Chrome OS anyway because for road warriors, the Pixelbook form factor really cannot be beat. On that basis, Matebook kind of neat because the i7 specs and GFX card can do a little light gaming too.

Ack! Decisions... decisions.
Only real Thinkpad users know how more productive they get with the trackpoint along with the best keyboard out there.

X1 C is the better portable laptop but MXP is the better deal with giftcards for sure.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
8355 posts
2267 upvotes
GTA
fudge_u wrote: The Chinese government might steal your important data, or nudie pics.
Arghhh... My nudie pics is my important data!
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2016
1068 posts
1030 upvotes
heynayjk wrote: Without the $300 giftcard the laptop is a cold deal so why is everyone getting so excited about it?
On the USA Microsoft site it's 1350 USD for the i7 after discount. That's almost 1800 CAD. So 1550 CAD is pretty good.
Nov 30, 2017
94 posts
189 upvotes
indeals wrote: On the USA Microsoft site it's 1350 USD for the i7 after discount. That's almost 1800 CAD. So 1550 CAD is pretty good.
Yeah, even without the $300, $1575 for those specs in that form factor is a great deal. Nothing comes close.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2017
494 posts
115 upvotes
indeals wrote: On the USA Microsoft site it's 1350 USD for the i7 after discount. That's almost 1800 CAD. So 1550 CAD is pretty good.
$1550 with EDU discount? With taxes that's almost 2k!
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2012
1297 posts
1754 upvotes
VANCOUVER
finiteplains wrote: Yeah, even without the $300, $1575 for those specs in that form factor is a great deal. Nothing comes close.
Based on the reviews I read from Chinese site:

The build quality is not on par with xps 13 or x360, noticeable worse than Lenovo x1 line. You pay what you get.

The device throttles much worse than xps 13. It can only maintain a stable 11w gpu; xps 13 can comfortable stays at 25w.

The fan noise on i5 version is annoy. And it is even worse on the i7 version with dedicated gpu. Lots of youtubers in China, suggest to avoid the i7 version and call the deliciated gpu as gimmicks.

The device is on the heavy side, more similar to MacBook 13 than main stream Ultrabooks.

I preorder the i5 version at local Microsoft store. I definitely will not buy it without 300 gift card. At least the warranty is more reliable on dell hp Lenovo devices. Of course, you can buy Microsoft store warranty, but it adds more cost on top of this device.
Dec 31, 2009
88 posts
30 upvotes
Richmond Hill
cn_habs wrote: Only real Thinkpad users know how more productive they get with the trackpoint along with the best keyboard out there.

X1 C is the better portable laptop but MXP is the better deal with giftcards for sure.
Yup. You nailed it on the trackpoint. Once you are accustomed to using it, it's difficult to switch to a trackpad.

(I had convinced myself that I could successfully use a Windows PC with trackpad because I have been playing around with the Google Pixelbook now, on and off, for a couple of months, and using the trackpad in Chrome OS, at least on the Pixelbook, is fabulous. But using the trackpad on the MXP reminded me how much I love the Lenovo trackpoint).

Anyway, I do believe that the MXP -- with the $300 GC in particular -- is a great option for lots of people. I just don't see it to be a high productivity computer.
Apr 7, 2007
370 posts
28 upvotes
Vancouver
Searched this Matebook X Pro in Baidu, there are a lot of Chinese private user reviews. Most of them are positive. They like the full screen 3:2 ratio the most. If you have money to spend, buy Apple MBP. If you want windows laptop, it is the best price among the ultra books.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3543 posts
2128 upvotes
izzyzz wrote: Arghhh... My nudie pics is my important data!
If no Chinese nationals in your collection. They'll look the other way.
RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!
Sep 15, 2014
50 posts
8 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
niceguy1234 wrote: Searched this Matebook X Pro in Baidu, there are a lot of Chinese private user reviews. Most of them are positive. They like the full screen 3:2 ratio the most. If you have money to spend, buy Apple MBP. If you want windows laptop, it is the best price among the ultra books.
Guess its all personal preference after all? A poster above outlined how other Chinese based reviews were more critical of this laptop. My only concern now is reliability.... both my macbook pro (2008) and macbook air (2013) are still alive and well, but I need a windows laptop for work -_-
Nov 3, 2010
867 posts
816 upvotes
heynayjk wrote: $1550 with EDU discount? With taxes that's almost 2k!
If you can't afford a high end laptop then don't complain about the price, and look at something more within your budget.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
Ambushes wrote: If you can't afford a high end laptop then don't complain about the price, and look at something more within your budget.
One can complain about the price all he/she wants. Afterall, he/she is part of the market.

i.e. By your logic, no one should complain about the property market.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)