Expired Hot Deals

[Microsoft Store] Lenovo IdeaPad S740 Laptop, 15.6 in 4K, i7-9750H, 16GB DDR4, 1TB PCIe SSD, GTX 1650, $1,579.99

[OP]
Dec 16, 2013
12 posts
9 upvotes
Saint Hubert

[Microsoft Store] Lenovo IdeaPad S740 Laptop, 15.6 in 4K, i7-9750H, 16GB DDR4, 1TB PCIe SSD, GTX 1650, $1,579.99

Hello,

First post here, so be gentle. I was looking for a 4k laptop for a while now and finally pulled the trigger on this one.
People might want to wait Black Friday, nevertheless it seems a good price for he configuration.

Tech specs
Screen size 15.6 in 4K UHD LED touchscreen (3840 x 2160), 10-finger multi-touch support
Processor Intel Core i7-9750H 2.6 GHz up to 4.5 GHz
Memory 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz
Hard drive size 1TB PCIe SSD
Operating system Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
PC type Laptop
Optical drive None
Media drive 3-in-1 (SD, SDXC, SDHC) card reader
Audio Dolby Atmos System audio
Video NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 with 4GB dedicated graphics memory
Ports • 2 Thunderbolt 3
• 1 USB 3.1
• 1 headphone/microphone combo jack
Battery 4-cell lithium polymer battery (up to 9 hours)*
Camera 720p webcam
Wireless 802.11ac
Bluetooth Yes
Dimensions 14.06 x 9.19 x 0.70 in (357.12 x 233.43 x 17.78 mm)
Weight 4.40 lbs (1.99 kgs)
Colour Iron gray
Other • Model number: 81NW0000US
• Backlit keyboard
• Windows Hello fingerprint reader

Regards,
17 replies
Apr 22, 2020
7 posts
10 upvotes
That GTX 1650 won't be able to run your games at 4k resolution. Battery life will definitely suck with 4k.

The ssd size is epic though.

At around $1100, this would have been a hot deal.
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1431 posts
650 upvotes
GTA
Montbose wrote: That GTX 1650 won't be able to run your games at 4k resolution. Battery life will definitely suck with 4k.

The ssd size is epic though.

At around $1100, this would have been a hot deal.
I actually think it's a good deal... and would probably pick one up.. but I hate numpads on laptops, unless it's 17"
That being said, this paired with an eGPU.... would be a pretty sweet combo
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2348 posts
623 upvotes
GSpeed wrote: I actually think it's a good deal... and would probably pick one up.. but I hate numpads on laptops, unless it's 17"
That being said, this paired with an eGPU.... would be a pretty sweet combo
I'd you're going to invest in an egpu enclosure and video card it's smarter to just get a better laptop from the get go. The 1650 is pretty anemic and Intel's last gen cpu. Better to just get a newer ryzen with a 1660ti.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6140 posts
1995 upvotes
Thornhill
If I had $1700 to spend on a laptop, I'd wait a bit for 3060 laptops in a few months(probably 2-3 months). But you can also get 2060 laptops right now for under $1500 on Amazon which is what I would do instead as well. And once 30XX released, price drops will follow quicker.
I often use voice typing and rarely read what I had typed...
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2002
2235 posts
715 upvotes
Toronto
brutus179 wrote: Ouch, completely forgot this,,, I am wondering if there is a way to get it after I made the purchase,
You can probably just cancel the order, then re-order after you add the offer.
15+ Years of 100% Positive Feedback

EBAY / HEATWARE / RFD
[OP]
Dec 16, 2013
12 posts
9 upvotes
Saint Hubert
Driftwood wrote: You can probably just cancel the order, then re-order after you add the offer.
This would be probably the solution in the end, I am on the phone now trying to reason with Microsoft Store.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1036 posts
465 upvotes
spiralspirit wrote: I'd you're going to invest in an egpu enclosure and video card it's smarter to just get a better laptop from the get go. The 1650 is pretty anemic and Intel's last gen cpu. Better to just get a newer ryzen with a 1660ti.
Before taking the plunge on a laptop, how does one know which CPU is "last" gen and how do you know if the GPU uses your onboard RAM or has its own? It seems it's becoming more difficult to buy new gaming (multi-tasking)laptop these days.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
2292 posts
723 upvotes
YVR
Was a little intrigued by the Microsoft store discount with RBC so took a quick look at the selection at Microsoft. Holy bajeezus are their prices inflated beyond belief.
Zoomer
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2348 posts
623 upvotes
sheyenne wrote: Before taking the plunge on a laptop, how does one know which CPU is "last" gen and how do you know if the GPU uses your onboard RAM or has its own? It seems it's becoming more difficult to buy new gaming (multi-tasking)laptop these days.
There's a fair amount of interest in computers that's required to keep up with them, but I'll give you a short rundown.

Intel cpu generations for the last little while are easily told apart by the first one or two digits of the model number. Current chips are 10xxxx, last gen are 9xxx, the gen before that 8xxx. If you're not sure you can google the model # of the cpu and look for release dates. Intel has an explanation on it here, including the suffixes (like this chip is a 9750h, what does the h mean? Intel says "high performance for mobile"):

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... mbers.html

With video cards they don't come out quite as often, but you can quickly become familiar with the basics. Like cpus the first digit is often the generation number. Nvidia is currently (pretending) to release the 30xx series cards (called Ampere architecture). Last generation was 20xx (called Turing) although some 16xx chips were released under the Turing architecture. The generation before that was 10xx (called pascal). The generation before that was 9xx (Maxwell architecture). etc etc

There's a looooong list on wikipedia her :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... sing_units

but the real answer is to keep up with it, you have to be interested in it. If you don't pay attention for a few years (like I've basically ignored AMD video cards because they didn't really compete in the performance end with Nvidia so wasn't of interest to me) you need to catch up, look up some benchmarks, etc.

If you want to know if a video card is dedicated or integrated you can just google it. notebookcheck has good summaries on all sorts of gpu sets, so for example I googled the chip in this laptop and its here:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Ge ... 044.0.html

If you scroll down there are some benchmarks and relative scores to other cards etc.

tl;dr - paying attention, being familiar with the history, and using google. Otherwise just ask people for some background. There's usually a nerd willing to tell you.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1036 posts
465 upvotes
spiralspirit wrote: There's a fair amount of interest in computers that's required to keep up with them, but I'll give you a short rundown.

Thanks!
[OP]
Dec 16, 2013
12 posts
9 upvotes
Saint Hubert
I finally got the RBC 100$ credit without having to buy again, but it took a few phone calls to the bank and Microsoft store (funny part is that I am not sure what worked finally as everybody was advising to buy again).
The laptop build feels premium, love the keyboard and the aluminum body. The screen is amazing, for those who say that 15inch 4k is an overkill, they need to see it to believe it.
It's a bit heavy and the battery life is not the best with this screen (which was no surprise) - I got only ~5hours after the first charge, that running benchmark tests and 4K videos on YouTube + the looong Windows setup+updates.
It remains to see what Black Friday will bring, personally I doubt that there will be a similar offer at 1716$ all in.