Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Microsoft Store

Lenovo Legion Y7000 81LD0009US Gaming Laptop - $979 + Tax

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2019 10:35 am
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2011
1299 posts
1661 upvotes
cloak wrote: Did anyone end up purchasing this? Thoughts / review?
My friend bought one. It is a good computer.
May 22, 2014
243 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This Y7000 has more ram with an ever so slightly higher clock speed. The more the merrier.
Apr 18, 2013
911 posts
888 upvotes
ReadAllTheDeals wrote: Just throwing it out there. I don't game, this laptop is perfect for me.

Sometimes, thinner and lightweight is not always better. On top of that, this is plenty of laptop to handle games. Will you get 4K on the latest? No...but you won't get that on any laptop for this price. Will it handle the latest games comfortably? Heck yes.
I just don't get the point of getting a lower end gaming laptop if you don;t game. I would rather have that money going towards something with a better screen, battery life, better processor (or a one that suits what you need better), lower weight and build quality or a cheaper price.

I just bought a new Legion laptop because I do game. My parents needed a laptop for browsing, office work, and media. I saved $ and got them something that does everything outside of gaming better.

Not saying this is a bad deal, its decent bang for the buck but gamers are better off spending a bit more for a much better system considering you can get i7 and 1060 laptops for ~$100-200 more... There is a 9% case back on Ebates on Lenovo site plus there was an additional coupons on legion series laptops (thinkpads also on sale). I think a similar variant to this one was cheaper with the Ebates bonus

Prices on the 1060 and 1070 will continue to drop as more laptops with the new RTX's start to flood the market.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2019
1339 posts
1540 upvotes
h00pla wrote: I just don't get the point of getting a lower end gaming laptop if you don;t game. I would rather have that money going towards something with a better screen, battery life, better processor (or a one that suits what you need better), lower weight and build quality or a cheaper price.

I just bought a new Legion laptop because I do game. My parents needed a laptop for browsing, office work, and media. I saved $ and got them something that does everything outside of gaming better.

Not saying this is a bad deal, its decent bang for the buck but gamers are better off spending a bit more for a much better system considering you can get i7 and 1060 laptops for ~$100-200 more... There is a 9% case back on Ebates on Lenovo site plus there was an additional coupons on legion series laptops (thinkpads also on sale). I think a similar variant to this one was cheaper with the Ebates bonus

Prices on the 1060 and 1070 will continue to drop as more laptops with the new RTX's start to flood the market.
Because this one hits my exact needs and at my price-point. Different strokes for different folks.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
3055 posts
1665 upvotes
Some people just leave their laptop plugged into a desk all day, doesn't need to be taken anywhere.

Also, some people may want it for for a better overall media experience or for video editing.
Apr 18, 2013
911 posts
888 upvotes
zzzz24 wrote: Some people just leave their laptop plugged into a desk all day, doesn't need to be taken anywhere.
I'm guessing this was directed to me.

Then get a desktop or a 17" laptop if it just sits there. Even if you for some reason wanted an i5-8300H and a 1050Ti combo - there was a better deal to be had with the Lenovo sale with the 9% cash back on Ebates.
zzzz24 wrote:
Also, some people may want it for for a better overall media experience or for video editing.
If you want better media experience you don't need a dedicated GPU - get something with a better screen or better speakers (ie a laptop geared towards it).

For video editing you could get the same specced laptop with an i7 for like barely anything more, or downgrade to a 1050 with the i7 for cheaper which would be better for video editing

The point is this isn't an amazing deal - where it is so cheap you are getting way more specs than you could ask for at that price point. There are several laptops that perform so much better at a minimal upgrade cost and other laptops that are comparable in price (or cheaper) that serve it's purpose better. So you need to look at how well the specs work towards different use cases.

This is only really good for gamers that cannot stretch their budgets for a 1060 or wait for them to drop a bit more. Even then I would rather grab a system with an i7 and a 1050 for cheaper and then save up for an external GPU if it was mainly a desktop replacement
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2019
1339 posts
1540 upvotes
h00pla wrote: I'm guessing this was directed to me.

Then get a desktop or a 17" laptop if it just sits there. Even if you for some reason wanted an i5-8300H and a 1050Ti combo - there was a better deal to be had with the Lenovo sale with the 9% cash back on Ebates.

If you want better media experience you don't need a dedicated GPU - get something with a better screen or better speakers (ie a laptop geared towards it).

For video editing you could get the same specced laptop with an i7 for like barely anything more, or downgrade to a 1050 with the i7 for cheaper which would be better for video editing

The point is this isn't an amazing deal - where it is so cheap you are getting way more specs than you could ask for at that price point. There are several laptops that perform so much better at a minimal upgrade cost and other laptops that are comparable in price (or cheaper) that serve it's purpose better. So you need to look at how well the specs work towards different use cases.

This is only really good for gamers that cannot stretch their budgets for a 1060 or wait for them to drop a bit more. Even then I would rather grab a system with an i7 and a 1050 for cheaper and then save up for an external GPU if it was mainly a desktop replacement
I think you might be confusing what "works for you" versus "what works for others."
Apr 18, 2013
911 posts
888 upvotes
ReadAllTheDeals wrote: I think you might be confusing what "works for you" versus "what works for others."
No I think you are confusing what specs are good for what. What exactly did I say that wasn't true?

- No gaming... yeah you're right buy a dedicated GPU for the extra weight, extra cost, extra heat, extra size... yeah that makes sense only for me. Anyone else that doesn't game should pay extra for the 1050Ti

- Media laptop - yeah need that dedicated GPU to stream video on a 1080p screen

- video processing - yeah an i5-8300H is much better than an i7-8750H ... what was I thinking... only for me again does the i7 have better performance than the i5

Even if all the above I said was incorrect above - this build has already been cheaper (last week) which is the point of this site and prices will continue to drop with RTX's flooding the market. Making this only a decent deal.

Like i said - decent deal if you need a gaming laptop now and cant stretch the budget another $100-200 for a big leap in performance. Non-gamers look else where for better bang for the buck
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2019
1339 posts
1540 upvotes
You sound like someone trying to tell a mac user, not to use mac. You can give all the reasons in the world you want, but at the end of the day if it works, it works.
Jan 23, 2014
51 posts
32 upvotes
I have this laptop,

It's come with a wire and a place to connect second hdd! Witch is good. The screen is really good speaker good enough. The USB c is not thunderbolt 3.

Big problem with the wifi tho. Look at forum disconnect every 10min or so.

Lenovo don't want to repair.
Apr 18, 2013
911 posts
888 upvotes
ReadAllTheDeals wrote: You sound like someone trying to tell a mac user, not to use mac. You can give all the reasons in the world you want, but at the end of the day if it works, it works.
And you would be that mac user that refuses to use windows for Autocad despite everyone telling you to use windows, but because it sorta works.

If this setup works for you, great. You got a decent deal on it. It is not a bad system. But at what price point does this not work?

I am merely point out that there was the same system for cheaper last week and there are similar systems in its price range that have better bang for the buck

This forum is about deals, heaven forbid someone compares this system to other systems within the same budget
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2019
1339 posts
1540 upvotes
h00pla wrote: And you would be that mac user that refuses to use windows for Autocad despite everyone telling you to use windows, but because it sorta works.

If this setup works for you, great. You got a decent deal on it. It is not a bad system. But at what price point does this not work?

I am merely point out that there was the same system for cheaper last week and there are similar systems in its price range that have better bang for the buck

This forum is about deals, heaven forbid someone compares this system to other systems within the same budget

Yes, it is a deals site. So if this laptop works for this price, why keep pushing your agenda for people to spend more money when they do not need to? Show me a laptop that is cheaper with the same specs and is available right now. Then we are talking. You keep mentioning one, but I don't see one. Nor, can I find one that has a better bang for its buck at this price (again, not spending more).

This laptop is great at this price. Loaded with specs. Packs a punch. Amazing for gaming and productivity. If it works, it works. If it does not, it does not. Laptops are very personal and at some point, personal preference trumps a lot of things. Now in this case, I am looking at dollar-to-performance ratio, enjoyment factor, build quality, etc. In terms of all that, this is a great deal. Now, if your budget is higher, that changes things. But I am not talking about that. I am talking about this price point and these specs.

You keep talking about people don't need x, or y. Or people should just get a desktop. Etc. You are all over the place and are really derailing this thread.
Apr 18, 2013
911 posts
888 upvotes
ReadAllTheDeals wrote: Yes, it is a deals site. So if this laptop works for this price, why keep pushing your agenda for people to spend more money when they do not need to? Show me a laptop that is cheaper with the same specs and is available right now. Then we are talking. You keep mentioning one, but I don't see one. Nor, can I find one that has a better bang for its buck at this price (again, not spending more).

This laptop is great at this price. Loaded with specs. Packs a punch. Amazing for gaming and productivity. If it works, it works. If it does not, it does not. Laptops are very personal and at some point, personal preference trumps a lot of things. Now in this case, I am looking at dollar-to-performance ratio, enjoyment factor, build quality, etc. In terms of all that, this is a great deal. Now, if your budget is higher, that changes things. But I am not talking about that. I am talking about this price point and these specs.

You keep talking about people don't need x, or y. Or people should just get a desktop. Etc. You are all over the place and are really derailing this thread.
You said you don't game - then how is in getting a laptop with a dedicated GPU good bang for the buck if you can get the same specced laptop without the GPU for less? If anyone came in here asking "Well is this a good deal for someone who doesn't game?" What would be the answer? No, so what did I say that was wrong?

Some one else brought up well maybe they want it just to watch media - again waste of money buying a GPU you don't need. Video editing - not specced well for that... Again if someone was thinking of getting this with that type of usage - this is not a good deal. It is either overkill or not well spec'd for their usage.

AGAIN - It is a decent deal for someone who wants a gaming laptop that needs one right away or can't stretch their budget to $1200 (which was the best dollar:performance deal).

P.S. This laptop is not loaded with specs. This is not amazing for gaming nor is this amazing for productivity - You are clueless if you think a 1050Ti is amazing for gaming.

One of the deals was posted in the thread

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/lenovo- ... s-2266913/

They had a variant with the i5 and 1050Ti that was cheaper than the OP when you include cash back. They had other variants(some cheaper, some more) than the OP with likely no performance or even better performance depending on usage.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2019
1339 posts
1540 upvotes
h00pla wrote: You said you don't game - then how is in getting a laptop with a dedicated GPU good bang for the buck if you can get the same specced laptop without the GPU for less? If anyone came in here asking "Well is this a good deal for someone who doesn't game?" What would be the answer? No, so what did I say that was wrong?

Some one else brought up well maybe they want it just to watch media - again waste of money buying a GPU you don't need. Video editing - not specced well for that... Again if someone was thinking of getting this with that type of usage - this is not a good deal. It is either overkill or not well spec'd for their usage.

AGAIN - It is a decent deal for someone who wants a gaming laptop that needs one right away or can't stretch their budget to $1200 (which was the best dollar:performance deal).

P.S. This laptop is not loaded with specs. This is not amazing for gaming nor is this amazing for productivity - You are clueless if you think a 1050Ti is amazing for gaming.

One of the deals was posted in the thread

lenovo-canada-legion-y530-8750-1060-512 ... s-2266913/

They had a variant with the i5 and 1050Ti that was cheaper than the OP when you include cash back. They had other variants(some cheaper, some more) than the OP with likely no performance or even better performance depending on usage.

I'm not going to go through a whole thread to prove your point. In the op is a more expensive laptop with less Ram.

You said it yourself. This is a decent laptop. Good price. Good specs. Good enough. Case closed.

Please don't make laptop recommendations. Not loaded with specs? Common man. This thing is dripping with awesomesauce for the price. Good performing CPU. 16gb Ram (hard to come by at this price range). Extra bay to expand storage. And the cherry on top is a GPU that can do some gaming when you want a break from work. If you haven't clued in that someone like me wanting 16gb of Ram is doing more than just media and gaming, there is no hope. This conversation has ran it's course. Have a good day.
Apr 18, 2013
911 posts
888 upvotes
ReadAllTheDeals wrote: I'm not going to go through a whole thread to prove your point. In the op is a more expensive laptop with less Ram.

You said it yourself. This is a decent laptop. Good price. Good specs. Good enough. Case closed.

Please don't make laptop recommendations. Not loaded with specs? Common man. This thing is dripping with awesomesauce for the price. Good performing CPU. 16gb Ram (hard to come by at this price range). Extra bay to expand storage. And the cherry on top is a GPU that can do some gaming when you want a break from work. If you haven't clued in that someone like me wanting 16gb of Ram is doing more than just media and gaming, there is no hope. This conversation has ran it's course. Have a good day.
That laptop I linked has less ram, it also has an i7 and a 1060 and a 512GB SSD, if you think that extra 8GB of ram is somehow better bang for the buck than an 8750H,a 1060 and a 512 GB SSD for ~$200 more....

Even if you specced out the same damn laptop as this one (i5-8300H,1050Ti, 16GB Ram) it was cheaper during that sale on the Lenovo site if you used Ebates. THE EXACT SAME LAPTOP WAS CHEAPER. They had laptops for cheaper that had the same specs but a 1050 instead of a 1050Ti, which again is better for non gamers THEREFORE a better deal -which is why I posted what I posted.

Me make laptop recommendations? You stated you don't game and it checks all your boxes, then you say it is amazing for gaming - a 1050Ti FFS is not amazing at gaming. Now you say it can do some gaming? Which is it, you keep changing your stance...

Meanwhile, I have said the same damn thing the entire time - it is a decent deal for a GAMING laptop if you can;t wait or stretch your budget. If it's cased closed then stop responding with nothing but it's good for you. I wasn't even commenting on your decision to purchase it except for when you said you don't game, so i suggested either saving some money or putting the money towards something else.

BTW these are the userbenchmarks between the OP and the link I posted plus the cheaper one

i5/1050Ti - Gaming 41% / Desktop 87% / Workstation 57% for $979
i7/1060 - Gaming 62% / Desktop 94% / Workstation 79% for $1170
i7/1050 - Gaming 36% / Desktop 93% / Workstation 75% for sub $1000

So unless you want the better gaming on the 1050Ti the i7/1050 combo might be better for someone else and you could still get the i7/1050Ti for less than $80 more or a much better laptop for under $200 more
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2009
2968 posts
685 upvotes
Lol at buying a laptop with a solid video card not to game/edit. Your money could be spent smarter.

Hoopla preaching the truth.
Jul 26, 2013
949 posts
952 upvotes
CALGARY
Would I be able to do better with this or building a PC?
Aug 12, 2015
35 posts
43 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
h00pla wrote: BTW these are the userbenchmarks between the OP and the link I posted plus the cheaper one

i5/1050Ti - Gaming 41% / Desktop 87% / Workstation 57% for $979
i7/1060 - Gaming 62% / Desktop 94% / Workstation 79% for $1170
i7/1050 - Gaming 36% / Desktop 93% / Workstation 75% for sub $1000

So unless you want the better gaming on the 1050Ti the i7/1050 combo might be better for someone else and you could still get the i7/1050Ti for less than $80 more or a much better laptop for under $200 more
I bought and thanked OP for this post but now I'm interested. These benchmarks seem incredibly useful - how did you do this? I needed a laptop right away for a contract job I was starting but my secret interest was getting the best gaming laptop I could but $1000 pre-tax was the absolute max I could spend. Seeing your benchmarks makes me feel an extra $200 would have been justified but is the laptop in OP at least the best gaming experience under $1000?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)