• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2019 10:35 am
Aug 12, 2015
29 posts
42 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
h00pla wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 11:38 am
BTW these are the userbenchmarks between the OP and the link I posted plus the cheaper one

i5/1050Ti - Gaming 41% / Desktop 87% / Workstation 57% for $979
i7/1060 - Gaming 62% / Desktop 94% / Workstation 79% for $1170
i7/1050 - Gaming 36% / Desktop 93% / Workstation 75% for sub $1000

So unless you want the better gaming on the 1050Ti the i7/1050 combo might be better for someone else and you could still get the i7/1050Ti for less than $80 more or a much better laptop for under $200 more
I bought and thanked OP for this post but now I'm interested. These benchmarks seem incredibly useful - how did you do this? I needed a laptop right away for a contract job I was starting but my secret interest was getting the best gaming laptop I could but $1000 pre-tax was the absolute max I could spend. Seeing your benchmarks makes me feel an extra $200 would have been justified but is the laptop in OP at least the best gaming experience under $1000?
Apr 18, 2013
159 posts
76 upvotes
Cambridge
findmesumdealz wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 12:46 pm
Would I be able to do better with this or building a PC?
Depends what you are using it for and if you need a laptop. You could easily build something for cheaper that performs better in a desktop
Apr 18, 2013
159 posts
76 upvotes
Cambridge
mggorospe wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 1:11 pm
I bought and thanked OP for this post but now I'm interested. These benchmarks seem incredibly useful - how did you do this? I needed a laptop right away for a contract job I was starting but my secret interest was getting the best gaming laptop I could but $1000 pre-tax was the absolute max I could spend. Seeing your benchmarks makes me feel an extra $200 would have been justified but is the laptop in OP at least the best gaming experience under $1000?
It is from https://www.userbenchmark.com

Just build the system or use existing benchmarks from actual builds to compare to one another.

This is still one of the best deals for a gaming laptop under $1000 if you have to buy now (might be the best now because that legion deal just expired). But it is a sizeable jump in performance going to a i7/1060 build for very little $ but since you can;t wait this might be the best thing for you if you need to stick to that budget. Really the ~$1200 is the sweet spot for gaming laptop market right now for a nice setup and best bang for the buck. This is the only reason this isn't a great deal.
Jan 4, 2019
76 posts
62 upvotes
mggorospe wrote:
Depends on what you is it for. You won't really notice much of a difference for day to day task to warrant the extra cost. The performance jump is not too much and really depends on what you use it for. Not really worth the hassle of exchanging imo unless you have a solid reason.
findmesumdealz wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 12:46 pm
Would I be able to do better with this or building a PC?
If you need portability, no. If you need a desktop, yes. You can build a pretty solid rig for the same price. Also depends if you already have a screen, keyboard, mouse, etc.
Apr 18, 2013
159 posts
76 upvotes
Cambridge
mggorospe wrote:
ReadAllTheDeals wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 3:11 pm
Depends on what you is it for. You won't really notice much of a difference for day to day task to warrant the extra cost. The performance jump is not too much and really depends on what you use it for. Not really worth the hassle of exchanging imo unless you have a solid reason.

If you need portability, no. If you need a desktop, yes. You can build a pretty solid rig for the same price. Also depends if you already have a screen, keyboard, mouse, etc.
He said he wanted it for gaming - and it's funny now you throw out "it depends what you use it for" which was my point this entire time

And just so you know, it is actually a big jump in performance. the 1050Ti vs the 1060 is a 55% jump in effective speed. That is a bigger jump than the 1050 vs 1050Ti at 29%. Higher clock speeds, more VRAM, way more CUDA cores. It is the biggest jump in that generation of GPUs. and is still bigger than the jump to the RTX series

So yeah, non or minimal gaming use not worth it. But then the 1050Ti likely is not be worth it either...

But gaming - YES it is a BIG difference and is most definitely worth it
Last edited by h00pla on Mar 5th, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 12, 2015
29 posts
42 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
h00pla wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 2:25 pm
This is still one of the best deals for a gaming laptop under $1000 if you have to buy now (might be the best now because that legion deal just expired). But it is a sizeable jump in performance going to a i7/1060 build for very little $ but since you can;t wait this might be the best thing for you if you need to stick to that budget. Really the ~$1200 is the sweet spot for gaming laptop market right now for a nice setup and best bang for the buck. This is the only reason this isn't a great deal.
I really wouldn't have been able to spend the extra $200 for the Legion Y530 so to know this is one of the best bang for the buck right now is actually comforting - no buyer's regret!
Apr 18, 2013
159 posts
76 upvotes
Cambridge
mggorospe wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 4:41 pm
I really wouldn't have been able to spend the extra $200 for the Legion Y530 so to know this is one of the best bang for the buck right now is actually comforting - no buyer's regret!
There is always a better deal or performance around the corner - so if you need it now, you got the best you could for under $1k when it comes to gaming and really that is all you can do.
Jan 4, 2019
76 posts
62 upvotes
mggorospe wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 4:41 pm
You made the right choice. Enjoy your new toy!
Jan 13, 2019
12 posts
8 upvotes
h00pla wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2019 8:45 am
I'm guessing this was directed to me.

Then get a desktop or a 17" laptop if it just sits there. Even if you for some reason wanted an i5-8300H and a 1050Ti combo - there was a better deal to be had with the Lenovo sale with the 9% cash back on Ebates.

If you want better media experience you don't need a dedicated GPU - get something with a better screen or better speakers (ie a laptop geared towards it).

For video editing you could get the same specced laptop with an i7 for like barely anything more, or downgrade to a 1050 with the i7 for cheaper which would be better for video editing

The point is this isn't an amazing deal - where it is so cheap you are getting way more specs than you could ask for at that price point. There are several laptops that perform so much better at a minimal upgrade cost and other laptops that are comparable in price (or cheaper) that serve it's purpose better. So you need to look at how well the specs work towards different use cases.

This is only really good for gamers that cannot stretch their budgets for a 1060 or wait for them to drop a bit more. Even then I would rather grab a system with an i7 and a 1050 for cheaper and then save up for an external GPU if it was mainly a desktop replacement
Every computer buying thread on RFD:

"Maybe if you spend 20% more you'll get something better" or "The next generation is just around the corner and then the price on these will drop"

Of course if you spend more you will get better. This is a site where people fight to get an extra 2% discount and you want to suggest "just $200" more on a $1k purchase?

And if you wait for the price on the 1060 to come down when the next gen comes out, you just be arguing that the 1060 is terrible for gaming and we should all spend a little more for the 2050 or whatever. You can't time technology just like you can't time the market because it's non linear growth

Also, is the upgrade to a 1060 really necessary on a 1080p 60hz screen? Wouldn't the 1050ti do fine with most games at that output?

All this said I did get an i7 1060 laptop, but that's based on my particular situation, and largely about getting TB3 as well.
Apr 18, 2013
159 posts
76 upvotes
Cambridge
mybadreligon wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 6:07 pm
Every computer buying thread on RFD:

"Maybe if you spend 20% more you'll get something better" or "The next generation is just around the corner and then the price on these will drop"

Of course if you spend more you will get better. This is a site where people fight to get an extra 2% discount and you want to suggest "just $200" more on a $1k purchase?

And if you wait for the price on the 1060 to come down when the next gen comes out, you just be arguing that the 1060 is terrible for gaming and we should all spend a little more for the 2050 or whatever. You can't time technology just like you can't time the market because it's non linear growth

Also, is the upgrade to a 1060 really necessary on a 1080p 60hz screen? Wouldn't the 1050ti do fine with most games at that output?

All this said I did get an i7 1060 laptop, but that's based on my particular situation, and largely about getting TB3 as well.
Except if you spend $200 you get something much better - and much more bang for the buck. I also suggested cheaper options that was a similar or better performance for the money depending on the use. There was also the EXACT SAME LAPTOP for cheaper.

How would anyone know what a good deal is if you don't compare it to other laptops just below, the same, and just above its price point? At what point is a deal good when the performance drop for a $200 cheaper laptop is less than the performance jump on a $200 more expensive laptop.

I was responding to someone who said they bought this and they don't game and another person who said it is a good laptop for media - which this would be overkill and suggested to get something cheaper or better for the use. Why buy this build if you don't really need the 1050Ti and a 1050 or integrated GPU would suffice for $100-300 cheaper.

The 1060's just dropped a massive amount, and that is with barely any RTX's out, it will drop more. Regardless the 1050Ti to 1060 is the single biggest jump in GPU performance out of all available cards. Bigger than 1060->2060, 1060> 1070, 1070>1080 ... you get the idea.

Regards to the 1050Ti on a 1080p screen, it struggles with some current games pushing 40 FPS on anything above medium settings. Not playable on some on high/ultra, so it is less future proof compared to the 1060
Jan 13, 2019
12 posts
8 upvotes
h00pla wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 6:54 pm
Except if you spend $200 you get something much better - and much more bang for the buck. I also suggested cheaper options that was a similar or better performance for the money depending on the use. There was also the EXACT SAME LAPTOP for cheaper.

How would anyone know what a good deal is if you don't compare it to other laptops just below, the same, and just above its price point? At what point is a deal good when the performance drop for a $200 cheaper laptop is less than the performance jump on a $200 more expensive laptop.

I was responding to someone who said they bought this and they don't game and another person who said it is a good laptop for media - which this would be overkill and suggested to get something cheaper or better for the use. Why buy this build if you don't really need the 1050Ti and a 1050 or integrated GPU would suffice for $100-300 cheaper.

The 1060's just dropped a massive amount, and that is with barely any RTX's out, it will drop more. Regardless the 1050Ti to 1060 is the single biggest jump in GPU performance out of all available cards. Bigger than 1060->2060, 1060> 1070, 1070>1080 ... you get the idea.

Regards to the 1050Ti on a 1080p screen, it struggles with some current games pushing 40 FPS on anything above medium settings. Not playable on some on high/ultra, so it is less future proof compared to the 1060
Depends on your definition of much better I guess. Hadn't looked but just checked some benchmarks on 1050ti vs 1060, even witcher 3 on max runs at 39 fps with the 1050ti vs 52 with the 1060. Yes it's a 33% incease. But considering consoles generally run at 30 fps I would argue it is at least sufficient. Maybe not for a PC gaming purist, but they wouldn't touch a 1060 anyway...and maybe laptops at all for that matter.

If it was actually cheaper last week from Lenovo that's valuable information though thanks for posting. Too bad it might be lost behind the soapbox.
Apr 18, 2013
159 posts
76 upvotes
Cambridge
mybadreligon wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 7:14 pm
Depends on your definition of much better I guess. Hadn't looked but just checked some benchmarks on 1050ti vs 1060, even witcher 3 on max runs at 39 fps with the 1050ti vs 52 with the 1060. Yes it's a 33% incease. But considering consoles generally run at 30 fps I would argue it is at least sufficient. Maybe not for a PC gaming purist, but they wouldn't touch a 1060 anyway...and maybe laptops at all for that matter.

If it was actually cheaper last week from Lenovo that's valuable information though thanks for posting. Too bad it might be lost behind the soapbox.
Yeah depends on the game. Like I said a few times - sub $1000 this is one of the best if not the best gaming laptop (since that deal expired, but lenovo deals change every day). Can get similar performing laptops that might suite someones use case better for the same price or less though and there is a much better price:performance laptop for $190 more

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/N ... 4336vs3649

https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeForce-G ... 598.0.html

I would say 40 FPS is acceptable performance

As far as better

i5/1050Ti - Gaming 41% / Desktop 87% / Workstation 57% for $979
i7/1060 - Gaming 62% / Desktop 94% / Workstation 79% for $1170
i7/1050 - Gaming 36% / Desktop 93% / Workstation 75% for sub $1000
Jan 4, 2019
76 posts
62 upvotes
mybadreligon wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 7:14 pm

My understanding it was a different model with different specs. The y530 I believe. Which in comparison the y7000, the y7000 is a better buy for numerous reasons that have been mentioned. However one not mentioned is heat.

The y7000 also runs significantly cooler than the y530. Specs make a bit of a difference but the cooling setup on the y7000 allows for several degrees in difference which is huge if you are the type to buy a laptop and hold onto it for many years.
Last edited by ReadAllTheDeals on Mar 8th, 2019 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 18, 2013
159 posts
76 upvotes
Cambridge
ReadAllTheDeals wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 8:42 pm

My understanding it was a different model with different specs. The y530 I believe. Which in comparison the y7000, the y7000 is a better buy for numerous reasons that have been mentioned. However one not mentioned is heat.

The y7000 also runs cooler than the y530. Specs make a bit of a difference but the cooling setup on the y7000 allows for several degrees in difference which is huge if you are the type to buy a laptop and hold onto it for many years.
They were the y530 and y730 that were on sale. It is the SAME cooling system and really not much difference beyond aesthetics. Their benchmarks are basically identical if specced the same

There are minor component differences but nothing worth spending more on if specced the same. The only thing you need to look out for is the battery where some y530 have a 52.5 Wh and some are 57Wh (I think some models also have a different wifi card). the y7000 can come with a 144mz screen, but this one doesn't (i think).

So specs make a bit of difference but the minuscule difference in performance based on temps (which isn't even true) is huge if you are holding onto it for many years???? Yet you are not concerned at all for future proofing a laptop and tell me that the laptop I linked is not a really a big jump performance but temp differences are... what a joke