• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2021 11:59 am
[OP]
May 7, 2015
59 posts
93 upvotes
Edmonton

[Microsoft Store] Lenovo ThinkPad USB-C Dock Gen 2 $169.99

First deal post. Technically not a sale, but far cheaper than other retailers.

I've been shopping around for USB-C docks that support multiple monitors with at least one at 4k60, laptop charging, ethernet, sound, and a decent number of regular USB-A ports. The cheapest no-name docks on Amazon with no power brick that meet most of these criteria are ~$110 and name brand ones with a power brick are in the $200-280 ballpark. Randomly Microsoft Canada has the Lenovo ThinkPad USB-C Dock Gen 2 which includes a power brick for $169.99. For comparison, Lenovo is charging $288 and even Amazon has it on 'sale' for $199.24.

I know that it's cliché, but I was literally 'in for 2' when I saw this deal. Hope this helps someone looking for something similar!
165 replies
Nov 24, 2014
155 posts
112 upvotes
Pointe-Claire, Qc
For those that have Costco, get an extra 10% off by buying gift cards and adding those to your Microsoft account.
May 19, 2017
286 posts
328 upvotes
This is a nice deal for the official usb-c dock. I am considering one for my x1 extreme but I really should just build my desktop...
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
3505 posts
3096 upvotes
Toronto
I am seeing 153.99 student discount stackable with costco gift cards
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
9734 posts
1910 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Only work with thinkpad?
Dec 11, 2013
320 posts
190 upvotes
Victoria
Lenovo website with Perkopolis pricing is $252.89. Thanks, OP! In for none for now because my oldest kid is in grade 2.
Jan 13, 2021
9 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
HSPMTL wrote: For those that have Costco, get an extra 10% off by buying gift cards and adding those to your Microsoft account.
Are giftcards in-store only? I'm not finding them on the Costco website.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
3505 posts
3096 upvotes
Toronto
dtfchan wrote: Are giftcards in-store only? I'm not finding them on the Costco website.
they are the xbox gift cards
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
1676 posts
388 upvotes
I have two of these I use at work, no complaints. The only feature I miss is automatic wake when plugging into dock, although maybe you need a TB dock for that.

I also wish the dock itself was powered over USB-C so I could travel with it and not have to bring the dock's AC adapter but no one travels anymore so I guess that doesn't matter.
Feb 25, 2015
895 posts
1105 upvotes
NB
TheRealSwatson wrote: This is a nice deal for the official usb-c dock. I am considering one for my x1 extreme but I really should just build my desktop...
This dock only outputs 60W to USB-C.
X1E / P1 require 90-100W
"Stuff should not be multiplied without necessity"
Jul 8, 2009
56 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
So this one when using one 4k 60hz, will not support another display output?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1118 posts
742 upvotes
Calgary
This is a really good deal, a proper dock is in a different league than Amazon USB-C hubs.

More specs here:
https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/accessorie ... 40AS0090US

Has 2x DP, 1 HDMI (supports 2x 4k displays at 60hz), 3x USB 3.1, 2x USB 2.0, gigabit ethernet, comes with a charger (~$50 to buy a 90W USB-C charger from Amazon)

One thing to watch out for though, only 60W power output... this will trigger charging errors on some laptops.
Mar 3, 2011
110 posts
15 upvotes
Thanks for pointing this out...Was going to jump on it....need 90-100W...Looking for the Thunderbolt one to go onsale...looked a few on other sites but still holding off as Lenovo announced the next gen of these and I'm presuming these now will be cleared out...

Thanks
K
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
5439 posts
4087 upvotes
Vancouver
TheRealSwatson wrote: This is a nice deal for the official usb-c dock. I am considering one for my x1 extreme but I really should just build my desktop...
carbide wrote: This dock only outputs 60W to USB-C.
X1E / P1 require 90-100W
The X1E / P1 cannot charge reliably over USB-C. I just bought the Workstation Dock Gen 2 and it includes a 230w adapter to power the dock and charge the laptop (X1E in my case)... works great.. but $$$$. I got one on ebay for ~$360 delivered.

Ron.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2003
1211 posts
224 upvotes
Mississauga
Strider wrote: This is a really good deal, a proper dock is in a different league than Amazon USB-C hubs.

More specs here:
https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/accessorie ... 40AS0090US

Has 2x DP, 1 HDMI (supports 2x 4k displays at 60hz), 3x USB 3.1, 2x USB 2.0, gigabit ethernet, comes with a charger (~$50 to buy a 90W USB-C charger from Amazon)

One thing to watch out for though, only 60W power output... this will trigger charging errors on some laptops.
Are you sure about 2x DP? The specs on the MS site say:
• 1 DisplayPort
• 1 HDMI
Also, from one of the smaller pictures, I only see 1 of each.

That said, I agree about how a proper dock is better than a generic USB-C hub.
Sep 2, 2014
232 posts
286 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm tempted by a dock like this, but I'm waiting for a deal on a USB-C Hub monitor. I think that will fit my needs perfectly for WFH. The idea that I can connect my PC to monitor via a single USB-C and have it do power delivery, display, and keep all my peripherals plugged into the monitor (logitech receiver, headset), just sounds so nice.

Something like this https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/accessorie ... 66A7GCC2US

If anyone has any experience with something like this, or can compare it to a true dock solution, please share.
[OP]
May 7, 2015
59 posts
93 upvotes
Edmonton
davidqbp wrote: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B082WT ... UTF8&psc=1

$109 for something a little less featured but close.. bought this recently for $93
That's literally the one I almost bought for $93 as well, but they bumped the price up today back to $110 which is why I started looking again for alternatives. The big difference between the Amazon one and the Lenovo one is that the Lenovo includes a power adaptor and has a sound output. That might not be worth the extra $50 to everyone, but for my use it helps a lot.