[Microsoft Store] MSI GS65 Stealth Thin - GTX 1060 - $ 1,549

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2019 7:31 am
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3474 posts
2016 upvotes
"1x Thunderbolt 3"Smiling Face With Open Mouth
RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!
Apr 21, 2012
570 posts
786 upvotes
Ontario
slayerwulf wrote: Sure it is open box but $500 less seems like a much better buy
What was the price? Looks like someone bought it. Or is it the 2k price? This looks like a pretty solid deal at 2k. Just watched a review though and the keyboard is at the front of the laptop so you need a palm wrest if you're doing anything other then gaming. Battery life is also terrible, probably worse then the Y740. I'd probabky prefer a 2070rtx y740.
Last edited by mobbie on Mar 31st, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
2423 posts
540 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
slayerwulf wrote: https://www.amazon.ca/Asus-GX501GI-XS74 ... als&sr=1-6

g-sync
500gb ssd
gtx 1080 max-q

Sure it is open box but $500 less seems like a much better buy
mobbie wrote: What was the price? Looks like someone bought it.
yep. someone agreed with slayers post and scooped it up. curious as to the price
Second rule of RFD ... don't talk about stocktrack.ca with non-members of RFD
Third rule of RFD ... see first rule. if you don`t know first rule, someone`s following the rules ;)

Woodstock, ON
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2005
1505 posts
1279 upvotes
crashxxx wrote: yep. someone agreed with slayers post and scooped it up. curious as to the price
It was $1500 there was a typo in my post meant to say $50 less. They come up for $1500 every so often on warehouse deals.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2005
1505 posts
1279 upvotes
mobbie wrote: What was the price? Looks like someone bought it. Or is it the 2k price? This looks like a pretty solid deal at 2k. Just watched a review though and the keyboard is at the front of the laptop so you need a palm wrest if you're doing anything other then gaming. Battery life is also terrible, probably worse then the Y740. I'd probabky prefer a 2070rtx y740.
I would have bought a y740 yesterday with the 10% ebates if it was not for the darn fans. If Lenovo would just leave the fans spinning on the slowest possible speed it would be fantastic but they favour shutting the fans off and when the spin up they start at full speed. Literally the most annoying thing. They need to give us fan control.
May 6, 2012
112 posts
21 upvotes
Calgary
How does this compare to Dell G7 with similar Specs?
[OP]
Dec 31, 2009
88 posts
30 upvotes
Richmond Hill
What you are paying for with the GS65, IMO, is that it's noticeably lighter than most of the competition. If the intention is to operate the laptop as a quasi-desktop and rarely ever move it, then I think there are a bunch of cheaper, better options.

On the other hand, for people that are looking to use the GS65 for mobile purposes - perhaps as a combo work and play laptop - then every last half-a-pound of weight matters.

The reason I favour the GS65 over the Razer Blade is because it's lighter and it opens 180 degrees. It's admittedly only lighter by a quarter of a pound, but for mobile purposes, that's impactful for me.

Major downside of the GS65 is the very poor reparability/customization. The fact that the motherboard is upside down thus requiring lots of work to get to the primary components sucks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
8066 posts
1897 upvotes
Mont-Royal
around same price as the XPS
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Addict
May 20, 2004
3227 posts
817 upvotes
Calgary
submarine wrote: I would put the GS65 and Y740 to be equally average in build quality for a thin and light gaming laptop. They do not compare to my Dell XPS 15 for example if you want great build quality.
I owned both and couldn’t disagree more. The MSI GS65 is made out of tinfoil in comparison to the Lenovo, which is built like a tank. In fact I’ve owned both the Y530 and the Y740 and I was very happy with the build quality of both. Yes, neither compares to the XPS 15 in build quality.

I can’t speak to what the previous generation y520/y730 were like but folks that are saying these current machines are poorly built must not have actually handled them nor used them for any period of time.

Having said that, there are other compromises that you get with Lenovo like display light bleed or poor stamina because of small capacity batteries spec’ed to make room for old fashion spinning hard disks.

In other words nothing is perfect and you’ll have to make compromises with whatever you buy if you’re planning to get a gaming laptop that is thin and light. Pick the best deal that fits your budget and wait as long as you can before buying.
Jun 26, 2017
36 posts
6 upvotes
I recently just got the gs65 with the rtx 2060 and returned it after a few days of using it. Honestly would not recommend it. I know OP has the 1060 but pretty much the same issues from the reviews I saw.

Cons:
- It gets hot! Like for no reason sometimes I'd be using it to watch a YouTube and the fans would be kicking in on a flat table surface.

- Plastic body always making noises, feels so cheap.

- screen is so dim compared to other computers in its class

- speakers are noticeably off, first video I played was an MKBHD video it didnt sound like him at all.

- one of the preloaded programs for audio was causing the CPU to go to 100% load while doing nothing. It required some troubleshooting but still annoying in a brand new computer.

- performance was really off too, I was getting 130 fps on League with an rtx 2060... it should be getting 250fps. Now ofcourse some amount of trouble shooting could have fixed this but comon MSI...

Anywho returned this 'piece of meh' bought a used Razer Blade 15 and WOW this thing is so much more worth it. Literally not one thing I hate about the Razer Blade 15, best computer I owned.