Students

Office 365 Free for students/educators

[OP]
Dec 10, 2010
168 posts
141 upvotes
Mississauga

Office 365 Free for students/educators

Was on the Microsoft store site and saw a banner advertising Office 365 - Educational version that includes: Word, Excel, PP, OneNote and Teams. I didn't see anything related to duration but elegibility is based on your school email address.
8 replies
Aug 6, 2019
86 posts
298 upvotes
I was in school 6 years ago, wasn't this always the case for students/teachers, in addition to stuff like autocad, unreal, GHE etc?
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2017
1026 posts
1048 upvotes
London
Yeah this is always a thing, 99.9% of colleges and universities pay for your access
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
2096 posts
1495 upvotes
Ottawa
bpboop wrote: Yeah this is always a thing, 99.9% of colleges and universities pay for your access
That's I was wondering about, is it "free" for those who's school/college/university paid for or anyone with a student/educator email address?
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2017
1026 posts
1048 upvotes
London
NoCountry4RFDer wrote: That's I was wondering about, is it "free" for those who's school/college/university paid for or anyone with a student/educator email address?
probably free through the school technically, since I've never heard of a school (even elementary/hs) that doesn't provide it for students. If someone somewhere knows of a school that doesnt provide it and has an email to try then we'll know, but otherwise I'd assume it's technically paid for by the schools and microsoft is just centralizing it
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1703 posts
1204 upvotes
Montreal, QC
NoCountry4RFDer wrote: That's I was wondering about, is it "free" for those who's school/college/university paid for or anyone with a student/educator email address?
No... it is "free" for those people entitled to the software via Microsoft's licensing terms. Just having an email address from an educational institution doesn't automatically grant access to Office 365.

For example, students who graduate from certain universities (at least the university that I go to) get to keep their email addresses for life. However, after they graduate, they lose access to the Office 365 license that they were given as students.

Someone can have an educational institutional email address and not be eligible for the Office 365 license offered by/at the educational institution. Account on the left has a Office 365 license and account on the right doesn't... both have educational institutional email addresses.
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
2096 posts
1495 upvotes
Ottawa
lmcjipo wrote: No... it is "free" for those people entitled to the software via Microsoft's licensing terms. Just having an email address from an educational institution doesn't automatically grant access to Office 365.

For example, students who graduate from certain universities (at least the university that I go to) get to keep their email addresses for life. However, after they graduate, they lose access to the Office 365 license that they were given as students.

Someone can have an educational institutional email address and not be eligible for the Office 365 license offered by/at the educational institution. Account on the left has a Office 365 license and account on the right doesn't... both have educational institutional email addresses.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG
OK, true, I kept my university's email but don't get office 365