Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Microsoft Store

[Overclocked hot?] Razer Core X EGPU Enclosure $359

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2020 10:07 pm
Dec 15, 2010
75 posts
192 upvotes
Turkey
I was just recently looking into eGPUs, found an article that compares eGPU vs internal card performance. They found eGPU takes a 20-30-% performance hit depending if you are using laptop monitor or external. So seeing I would have to spend $350 for eGPU plus a card, I think its smarter to wait for TB4 which is due to come out next year to future proof. TB3 is not enough but it’s pretty damn close from my reading.
Dec 15, 2010
75 posts
192 upvotes
Turkey
Also the maximum power these can deliver to the laptop is usually 100w. Plus your GPU, so anything above 500W should be OK for most I assume.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2006
2748 posts
942 upvotes
TheLegendz wrote: I was just recently looking into eGPUs, found an article that compares eGPU vs internal card performance. They found eGPU takes a 20-30-% performance hit depending if you are using laptop monitor or external. So seeing I would have to spend $350 for eGPU plus a card, I think its smarter to wait for TB4 which is due to come out next year to future proof. TB3 is not enough but it’s pretty damn close from my reading.
This is correct assuming you are saturating the 40 Gbps TB3 up and down (stream) and not outputting from the card to a monitor. Any extra throughput will affect performance.
Last edited by DFS 360 on Jan 7th, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2712 posts
1058 upvotes
Thanks OP. I almost bought a used Aorus box this week but realized it wasn't a full-sized box. This will do quite nicely.
Sep 27, 2007
141 posts
56 upvotes
superchuko wrote: Were you outputting video through the port on the graphics card, or back through Thunderbolt?
To an external monitor.
Mar 7, 2011
97 posts
115 upvotes
Winnipeg
I use this with my 2018 MacBook Pro 15” and I have a Radeon Vega 64 hooked up and I think it’s great. I’m pretty sure I paid around $350 on amazon last year. I recommend especially if you need the boost for film rendering in adobe premiere or after effects. I only wish it had more thunderbolt ports for a monitor
Sep 4, 2017
301 posts
321 upvotes
faizalk786 wrote: To an external monitor.
But is the monitor connected from the back of the graphics card, or the Mac?
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2006
3048 posts
181 upvotes
Vancouver
If anyone is looking for a cheap egpu, I recommend grabbing an empty arorus gaming box for around $70 - $120. I cant remember the exact wattage but it can power any card. These egpus were NOT sold standalone originally, but bundled with 1070 1080, 2070 and 2080 graphics cards. Many buyers however buy these since the cards are virtually the same price without the attached egpu, and then they sell the egpu for a bit of extra cash. This means lots of cheap empty egpus are on the market for you to buy. Just search on ebay or fbmarketplace/CL, there should be many for sale, usually brand new.

The catch originally was that only certain cards worked in this GPU, but I've created a simple to follow tutorial on how to modify these to work with any card. No soldering required!

My post can be found here:
https://egpu.io/forums/psu-cables/power ... x/paged/2/

It's a much better deal than dropping $350-$500 on other egpus
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2008
2389 posts
5614 upvotes
007craft wrote: If anyone is looking for a cheap egpu, I recommend grabbing an empty arorus gaming box for around $70 - $120. I cant remember the exact wattage but it can power any card. These egpus were NOT sold standalone originally, but bundled with 1070 1080, 2070 and 2080 graphics cards. Many buyers however buy these since the cards are virtually the same price without the attached egpu, and then they sell the egpu for a bit of extra cash. This means lots of cheap empty egpus are on the market for you to buy. Just search on ebay or fbmarketplace/CL, there should be many for sale, usually brand new.

The catch originally was that only certain cards worked in this GPU, but I've created a simple to follow tutorial on how to modify these to work with any card. No soldering required!

My post can be found here:
https://egpu.io/forums/psu-cables/power ... x/paged/2/

My AORUS Gaming Box is kind of glitchy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't; and when it doesn't, gotta pull the power cord, drain the PSU, and plug it back in again.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2006
3048 posts
181 upvotes
Vancouver
devil2k wrote: My AORUS Gaming Box is kind of glitchy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't; and when it doesn't, gotta pull the power cord, drain the PSU, and plug it back in again.
Yes if you do the mod from that link I posted, those problems go away!
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2008
2389 posts
5614 upvotes
007craft wrote: Yes if you do the mod from that link I posted, those problems go away!
Problems still persist even with the modification, without the modification the eGPU wouldn't even boot. I'd try updating the firmware but I don't have a PC with TB or bootcamp.
Mar 31, 2009
322 posts
249 upvotes
Soviet Canuckistan
007craft wrote: If anyone is looking for a cheap egpu, I recommend grabbing an empty arorus gaming box for around $70 - $120.

well, aside from having to tinker to make it work reliably, AND the fact that it is tiny, designed only for mini-ITX-sized video cards.. which defeats half the purpose of the desktop gaming card in the first place.

Basically if you're considering an eGPU solution at all, the last thing you want in addition to all the other Thunderbolt performance limitations is to be limited by size; which constrains cooling solutions, memory and the chipset onboard. Every even-close-to bleeding-edge card will be full-height/length, and will not fit in the Aorus Gaming Box.

I'll be blunt: I know RFD members are cheap, and I could use a lot more negative terms too. But if you're trying to cut corners saving $150 on a Thunderbolt eGPU solution; maybe you need to reevaluate your solution entirely. There are so many variables in this equipment- enclosure, cabling, cards.. even the source laptop and operating systems all affect the performance- that you will literally 'get what you paid for'.
Sep 26, 2008
590 posts
162 upvotes
I have an Aorus Gaming box I'd be willing to sell for $200 with a 1070 card. I bought it thinking it would work with my laptop and couldn't figure out how to set it up then ended up buying a desktop. I did however have an HP eGPU that was much easier to use and my experience with that was literally plug and play. I ready really great reviews about this Razor egpu though and the size is much smaller than the HP.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2006
3048 posts
181 upvotes
Vancouver
AmRando wrote: well, aside from having to tinker to make it work reliably, AND the fact that it is tiny, designed only for mini-ITX-sized video cards.. which defeats half the purpose of the desktop gaming card in the first place.

Basically if you're considering an eGPU solution at all, the last thing you want in addition to all the other Thunderbolt performance limitations is to be limited by size; which constrains cooling solutions, memory and the chipset onboard. Every even-close-to bleeding-edge card will be full-height/length, and will not fit in the Aorus Gaming Box.

I'll be blunt: I know RFD members are cheap, and I could use a lot more negative terms too. But if you're trying to cut corners saving $150 on a Thunderbolt eGPU solution; maybe you need to reevaluate your solution entirely. There are so many variables in this equipment- enclosure, cabling, cards.. even the source laptop and operating systems all affect the performance- that you will literally 'get what you paid for'.
Well I've been using my AGB for over a year now without issue (After the mod) and I only paid $100 for it. I do have a short card (1660ti) but would even be willing to throw a long card in there if I needed to (You just need to remove the shell or cut a hole in the back of it and you can put a long card in). Performance is fine, I game in 4k. There is a performance hit, but thats all egpus, not specifically the AGB. I cant see why I would want to pay an extra $250 on my purchase for a different box when the AGB works fine? Unless you need one that supports long cards, and care that it looks proper.

AGB is still the cheapest full powered egpu solution currently on the market (Cheaper ones will be out once USB 4 arrives, as manufactures can finally just make straight up pcb board egpu connectors again without the intel tax.). Of course a straight desktop is always better, but if you have a powerful small laptop like I do (XPS) and want a gaming pc, the egpu course is the way to go. Somebody could buy a gaming laptop too, but then you lose portability, and many people dont play games on the go, so an egpu works for them.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2712 posts
1058 upvotes
Mine arrived today and I'm really happy with the build quality. Slapped an Aorus 1080ti in it and am pretty happy thus far. Installed without a hitch and performance was much better than the 1060 in my laptop offers.

Ordered a Nanuk case to protect it when I have to lug it around on the road.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)