238 upvotes
Burlington
Sweet! Glad I held off buying one.

Getting one now!
Feb 12, 2014
614 posts
1432 upvotes
vancouver
I have game streamed on steam link app on the phone pretty well. I even was able to play slower rpg games on the go on the bus over data.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2007
1436 posts
1277 upvotes
Can I play on phone right now or in September with game pass for pc? or do I need ultimate?
Jan 12, 2017
268 posts
208 upvotes
nicolascon wrote: Can I play on phone right now or in September with game pass for pc? or do I need ultimate?
You need ultimate and you can play now.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2007
1436 posts
1277 upvotes
Darko2 wrote: You need ultimate and you can play now.
Damn, when I open the app it says it is coming in sept for pc gamepass users. I have no other use for ultimate so not sure if it is worth the jump.
Jul 31, 2020
717 posts
484 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote: Nope, Apple is cracking down on cloud gaming like Stadia and xcloud and also blocking Fortnite, not allowing them on its app store because Apple won't see any money from cloud gaming, and in-game purchases...
Google is also blocking fortnite, but I bet none of you will criticize them at all. Im not sure why people hate on apple so much (and especially on people who like apple), I suspect its the agressive advertising from samsung and google that tries to potray apple as evil and apple customers as sheep... which is kind of funny when you think about it. I wouldnt be surprised if google blocks xcloud as well, but they cant backtrack on letting people sideload now.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4538 posts
1450 upvotes
Toronto
Kevcorm wrote: Google is also blocking fortnite, but I bet none of you will criticize them at all. Im not sure why people hate on apple so much (and especially on people who like apple), I suspect its the agressive advertising from samsung and google that tries to potray apple as evil and apple customers as sheep... which is kind of funny when you think about it. I wouldnt be surprised if google blocks xcloud as well, but they cant backtrack on letting people sideload now.
I was just stating a fact, not trying to incite an Apple vs Android war... Didn't realize it would trigger this kind of reaction. Nobody said anything about Apple customers (I've got a couple ipads myself) and I only added the Fortnite mention to show that Apple isn't just solely targeting cloud gaming.

Anyway, regardless of your platform of choice, this is still a crappy decision and nobody wins. And Apple's response and reasoning for blocking xcloud/stadia (Apple can't control the quality of content that goes on cloud gaming services) is pretty dumb considering the amount of drivel they do allow on the app store, and also very patronizing and condescending to consumers who don't want to be treated like "sheep".
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Jul 31, 2020
717 posts
484 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote: I was just stating a fact, not trying to incite an Apple vs Android war... Didn't realize it would trigger this kind of reaction. Nobody said anything about Apple customers (I've got a couple ipads myself) and I only added the Fortnite mention to show that Apple isn't just solely targeting cloud gaming.

Anyway, regardless of your platform of choice, this is still a crappy decision and nobody wins. And Apple's response and reasoning for blocking xcloud/stadia (Apple can't control the quality of content that goes on cloud gaming services) is pretty dumb considering the amount of drivel they do allow on the app store, and also very patronizing and condescending to consumers who don't want to be treated like "sheep".
The truth is they dont want companies bypassing their ecosystem. Streaming games is pure garbage at this point and I dont blame them for not wanting to support it, when it doesnt work well people will blame apple. Google doesnt really offer any customer support anyway.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4538 posts
1450 upvotes
Toronto
Kevcorm wrote: Apple said no such thing
They did say such a thing.
https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/6/21357 ... violations
Here’s the official Apple statement:

The App Store was created to be a safe and trusted place for customers to discover and download apps, and a great business opportunity for all developers. Before they go on our store, all apps are reviewed against the same set of guidelines that are intended to protect customers and provide a fair and level playing field to developers.

Our customers enjoy great apps and games from millions of developers, and gaming services can absolutely launch on the App Store as long as they follow the same set of guidelines applicable to all developers, including submitting games individually for review, and appearing in charts and search. In addition to the App Store, developers can choose to reach all iPhone and iPad users over the web through Safari and other browsers on the App Store.
Let's just call a spade a spade: Apple doesn't want to be cut out of from the profit pie, while also potentially jeopardizing their Apple Arcade subscription service. Apple gets a 30% kickback from each sale made on the Appstore, and these apps bypass that, in effect leaving them with nothing. What they could do is revise their business model to continue to allow these kind of apps to operate, under a different model where the company pays them some sort of licensing fee instead of a 30% cut of profits. I doubt that flies though.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Jul 31, 2020
717 posts
484 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote: They did say such a thing.
https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/6/21357 ... violations

Let's just call a spade a spade: Apple doesn't want to be cut out of from the profit pie, while also potentially jeopardizing their Apple Arcade subscription service. Apple gets a 30% kickback from each sale made on the Appstore, and these apps bypass that, in effect leaving them with nothing. What they could do is revise their business model to continue to allow these kind of apps to operate, under a different model where the company pays them some sort of licensing fee instead of a 30% cut of profits. I doubt that flies though.
ya I found that afterwards, while its true I know they just don't want people bypassing their ecosystem to purchase micro-transactions or other dlc. I also dont think apple is all that worried about streaming, the market for it is tiny as most people either have no interest or quickly lose interest after trying it. Microsoft and Google can hype it all they want, try manipulating youtubers and media all they want, and even astroturf on forums (they are known to do so), but if the product is awful nobody will buy it. When i see game streaming being pushed, I think of suits who have little knowledge thinking "we can be the netflix of gaming!". I dont hate microsoft, but sometimes they get a little deceptive and try to use their marketing and influence to hype terrible products like for example vista... they had reviewers tell us it was great. Anyway, enough about apple/streaming. Their are tons of great games on ios devices that support the gamepad, and tons on android too. Sorry for all the ranting, Im just sick and tired of googles blatant use of their information monopoly to fool people, just look at all the articles ignoring that google also banned fortnite; all written by hacky journalists helping brainwash people.
Jan 17, 2008
344 posts
96 upvotes
Anyone know if this will be compatible with the upcoming Series X/S controllers?