• Dec 2nd, 2013 4:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5489 posts
2064 upvotes
redflagdeals.com

Microsoft Store- Samsung Ativ Book 5 $549 ($350 off) + $25 WINDOWS APP CARD

I would just like to share a deal I found. I'm a newbie so please be kind (but any advice is appreciated)!

Valid only on December 2nd, Microsoft Store has the Samsung Ativ Book 5 model (NP540U4E-K01US) for $549 after $350 off. Plus you get a bonus $25 Windows app card. While the deal may not be as hot as the $399 Dell 15z that was on sale for Black Friday, it's still pretty decent if you need a laptop now. Considering Samsung is usually better quality than Dell (In my opinion) it seems rather reasonable.

NCIX is selling the same model for a whopping $849 (usually $1,099.99), and Staples has it for $799 regular price. It only as 4GB ram but there is an empty ram slot easily accessible to the user. Otherwise it mostly has the same features as the Dell but no optical drive and only 24GB SSD vs. 32GB SSD on the Dell.

Here are the basic specs (see site for more details):

14-inch (355.6-millimeter) HD touchscreen
Intel Core i5-3337U
4 GB memory/500 GB HDD + 24 GB SSD
Up to 6.5 hours battery life

Seems like a US model so hopefully the keyboard isn't billingual (no offense).
3 replies
Jan 31, 2010
370 posts
136 upvotes
St. John's
Seems like a decent laptop for the price. For me personally, this would be perfect IF it had a better screen. But I guess that's why its the price it is.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5489 posts
2064 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
It's a good deal for a "budget" laptop but for a high end laptop which it is pretending to be, it falls short due to the screen resolution as mentioned above as well as the ram and only a 24GB SSD Cache drive. That said I bought one because I missed out on the $399 Dell and because my current HP laptop is dying (IGP is failing).
Jan 31, 2010
370 posts
136 upvotes
St. John's
dealseaker101 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2013 3:18 pm
It's a good deal for a "budget" laptop but for a high end laptop which it is pretending to be, it falls short due to the screen resolution as mentioned above as well as the ram and only a 24GB SSD Cache drive. That said I bought one because I missed out on the $399 Dell and because my current HP laptop is dying (IGP is failing).
For the price, the RAM/hard drive doesn't bother me because they're easily upgradeable. For the most part, you're stuck with the screen (unless you can track down an after-market replacement)