• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2020 3:45 pm
[OP]
Dec 14, 2009
126 posts
74 upvotes
Vancouver

[Microsoft Store] Samsung HMD Odyssey+

Noticed this on BAPCSCA, list price is $349 but with a SPC/student discount it brings it down to $314.10. Pretty close to lowest-all-time price of $299.
Last edited by qyrus on Apr 22nd, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24 replies
Jan 13, 2019
216 posts
363 upvotes
All time best was $299 plus $50 gift card at christmas last year, not sure if that's likely to come around again though.
Apr 12, 2018
16 posts
28 upvotes
Did these come back in stock? Showing out of stock for me, and had been for the past couple weeks. Technically, I can add it to my cart before the page finishes loading, but I doubt that process would end with me actually receiving a product.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
4384 posts
2537 upvotes
qyrus wrote: Noticed this on BAPCSCA, list price is $349 but with a SPC/student discount it brings it down to $314.10. Pretty close to lowest-all-time price of $299.
Why is MS store selling Samsung products? They should't be called Microsoft store then. It is like a Coke store selling Pepsi products.
Nov 3, 2010
837 posts
757 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: Why is MS store selling Samsung products? They should't be called Microsoft store then. It is like a Coke store selling Pepsi products.
It's a Windows Mixed Reality device.
Feb 17, 2019
87 posts
39 upvotes
I've been watching this for weeks and there is no stock. I don't expect them to get anymore.
May 14, 2008
426 posts
228 upvotes
I don't think that this product will have support for a long time and will be discontinued. It will sit as a paperweight. At this price it's a risky investment. Other products have bigger user base which generally translate to a better long term support and better investment.

My two cents.
Never surf the web unarmed!
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2980 posts
3331 upvotes
el_pablo wrote: I don't think that this product will have support for a long time and will be discontinued. It will sit as a paperweight. At this price it's a risky investment. Other products have bigger user base which generally translate to a better long term support and better investment.

My two cents.
you don't think that steam vr will be supported for a long time after they just released the very popular game half life alyx after all the mods that are being released?
Dec 29, 2006
26 posts
22 upvotes
Markham
Does anyone know if this will work with a laptop with an nvidia 1050?
Jan 23, 2017
235 posts
288 upvotes
el_pablo wrote: I don't think that this product will have support for a long time and will be discontinued. It will sit as a paperweight. At this price it's a risky investment. Other products have bigger user base which generally translate to a better long term support and better investment.

My two cents.
What is your evidence for making this claim? Windows Mixed Reality as a feature is fully supported by Windows and SteamVR supports WMR for all its VR titles. To claim that WMR headsets will become "a paperweight" and "a risky investment" smacks of unsubstantiated conjecture.

"My two cents"
slowserver wrote: Does anyone know if this will work with a laptop with an nvidia 1050?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... guidelines

WMR Specs (not Ultra) PCs:
Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 620 (or greater) DX12-capable integrated GPU (check if your model is greater)
NVIDIA MX150 (or greater) discrete GPU
965M (or greater) DX12-capable discrete GPU
AMD Radeon RX 460/560
Dec 16, 2017
94 posts
66 upvotes
mybadreligon wrote: All time best was $299 plus $50 gift card at christmas last year, not sure if that's likely to come around again though.
50$ GC was in-store only, so unless you were lucky enough to live near one of the stores, we can pretty much consider 299$ as the all-time low price.

On that note, I did end up buying it for 299$ back on Black Friday and I've only really used it a handful of times since then (not for lack of interest, but rather lack of time), and I find it to be amazing for the price point! I really don't see any difference between this and my brother's HTC Vive (apart from the fact that the Odyssey has almost no SDE). I've been using it to play Alyx and it's great! And honestly, the lack of the wall-mounted boxes/sensors doesn't really affect my gameplay much at all, and I kind of like the simplicity of not having to mount those boxes up in my basement. This does mean that the play area boundaries aren't quite as accurate, but they are still surprisingly good.
Dec 29, 2006
26 posts
22 upvotes
Markham
imclumzy wrote: What is your evidence for making this claim? Windows Mixed Reality as a feature is fully supported by Windows and SteamVR supports WMR for all its VR titles. To claim that WMR headsets will become "a paperweight" and "a risky investment" smacks of unsubstantiated conjecture.

"My two cents"

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... guidelines

WMR Specs (not Ultra) PCs:
Thanks...I was hoping for to hear from anyone that had first hand experience. Also, I don't know if the 1050 is considered > mx150 and if it will just not work vs work sub-optimally.
Jan 23, 2017
235 posts
288 upvotes
slowserver wrote: Thanks...I was hoping for to hear from anyone that had first hand experience. Also, I don't know if the 1050 is considered > mx150 and if it will just not work vs work sub-optimally.
Under the Ultra PC specs (which sounds like "optimal spec") it says "NVIDIA GTX 1060 (or greater) DX12-capable discrete GPU". Your 1050 is the same generation as the 1060 and will certainly run WMR no problem.

As a point of comparison WMR VR worked just fine on my friend's GTX880 laptop from 2012, using some lower graphical options, around 60fps in Assetto Corsa.
Jun 11, 2018
12 posts
22 upvotes
slowserver wrote: Thanks...I was hoping for to hear from anyone that had first hand experience. Also, I don't know if the 1050 is considered > mx150 and if it will just not work vs work sub-optimally.
Check out this YouTube vid from MRTV regarding playing VR on a GTX 960 (slightly faster than a GTX 1050) using WMR headset:

For reference, I have a GTX 1650 in my laptop using a Lenovo Explorer (another WMR headset). For games that aren't super graphically intensive, it's fine.
Jan 23, 2017
235 posts
288 upvotes
Sazerac wrote: 50$ GC was in-store only, so unless you were lucky enough to live near one of the stores, we can pretty much consider 299$ as the all-time low price.
I couldn't find anything worth buying in-store for $50 and the GC wouldn't work online. Plus I think the GC expired in Jan ... so ya $299 is the all-time low price.
May 2, 2007
294 posts
169 upvotes
Back in stock if anyone is looking for one.
Nov 15, 2015
174 posts
79 upvotes
VANCITY
Damn.. Was torn between this and oculus quest. Ended up buying the quest 2 days ago! I hope its worth it.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2980 posts
3331 upvotes
urbangentleman wrote: Damn.. Was torn between this and oculus quest. Ended up buying the quest 2 days ago! I hope its worth it.
the quest is definitely the way to go its just too bad its a bit on the heavier side. you will need some adjustments if you intent on playing longer times. i also ordered a second quest a few days ago and a oculus go heh.
Nov 15, 2015
174 posts
79 upvotes
VANCITY
Nice! Thanks for the heads up. Did you try out virtual desktop or the oculus link to hook up and play pcvr games?