• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2021 2:55 am
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1698 posts
961 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Colin0317 wrote: Is it worth it if you have no intention on getting the Sonos subwoofer?
Yes. It's meant to be used as a stand alone, and that's how I was going to use it. According to the reviews I watched on Youtube, it has some bass, but nothing like a subwoofer would offer. Having said that, I don't need deep bass, so it'll be fine for me.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2222 posts
1518 upvotes
I have the Gen 1 beam paired with 2 x One and I couldnt be any happier. Im not an audiophile nor demand a top class system.

This set up is enough for movies and daily use. The Beam is plenty loud and has enough bass. Maybe if I was building a system for the basement Id go with the Arc+Sub+4 One
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
3086 posts
598 upvotes
Alberta
Hellfire wrote: Would this be amazing as computer speakers?
Looks extremely complicated to use Sonos products as computer speakers tbh
Jan 8, 2017
38 posts
25 upvotes
Sonos is not really meant to be a computer speaker.
If you want to play computer audio through it, you'll have to use an optical cable (most comps will not support it, probably need a dedicated soundcard/interface) or you'll have to use some third-party software (but that will have an audio delay).

If you just want to use it to play spotify / music streaming with the Sonos app on your comp/phone, it's pretty darn good. There are better options than the Beam for strictly music, though...
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2003
4217 posts
1007 upvotes
GTA
For PC use you would utilize the optical spdif->hdmi converter in the box since gpus don't support eARC.
When you set it up you specify you want to use an IR remote to control the Beam audio rather than rely on HDMI CEC.
It works well as a computer speaker imo, it's just really expensive compared to the 5.1 setups people would typically buy (Logitech Z5500 or whatever).

Onboard audio on motherboards can utilize modified drivers that enable DTS and DDL encoding to output 5.1 for gaming. For movies you can bitstream the basic core DD/DTS tracks. You won't be getting Atmos unless you get something like an HDFury Arcana.
Jun 18, 2011
48 posts
13 upvotes
MARKHAM
If anyone has an extra white one that they got from this deal, I'd be happy to take it at cost - GTA area
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
4461 posts
4041 upvotes
No Bum Deals
For gaming always good to have 360° speakers, or headphones, but that is my opinion....
Fake, inflated, paid, and other forms of scammy news and reviews run rampant. A world drenched in online deceit, spiraling into oblivion.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
3086 posts
598 upvotes
Alberta
zoob wrote: For PC use you would utilize the optical spdif->hdmi converter in the box since gpus don't support eARC.
When you set it up you specify you want to use an IR remote to control the Beam audio rather than rely on HDMI CEC.
It works well as a computer speaker imo, it's just really expensive compared to the 5.1 setups people would typically buy (Logitech Z5500 or whatever).

Onboard audio on motherboards can utilize modified drivers that enable DTS and DDL encoding to output 5.1 for gaming. For movies you can bitstream the basic core DD/DTS tracks. You won't be getting Atmos unless you get something like an HDFury Arcana.
If you use optical out, can you still control volume up/down on the PC? Or would absolutely everything need to go via the Sonos app?
Oct 5, 2009
171 posts
59 upvotes
Canada
For the people who price matched with Best Buy do you mind posting the reciept? thanks
Oct 26, 2020
51 posts
63 upvotes
Ordered yesterday on Microsoft website. Order status still showing pending. Anyone else having the same order status?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2003
4217 posts
1007 upvotes
GTA
scouzer wrote: If you use optical out, can you still control volume up/down on the PC? Or would absolutely everything need to go via the Sonos app?
You can control at both. It's like using regular powered speakers plugged into your pc - your pc will have its own volume level and your speakers will have its own volume level.

Typically you'll leave PC @ 100% volume and control via Sonos.
- touch the beam volume up/down buttons
- use the app
- use IR remote
- use 'smart home' device like the pre-packaged solution Ikea Symfonisk remote & gateway ( https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/symfonisk- ... s49319167/ )
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
3086 posts
598 upvotes
Alberta
zoob wrote: You can control at both. It's like using regular powered speakers plugged into your pc - your pc will have its own volume level and your speakers will have its own volume level.

Typically you'll leave PC @ 100% volume and control via Sonos.
- touch the beam volume up/down buttons
- use the app
- use IR remote
- use 'smart home' device like the pre-packaged solution Ikea Symfonisk remote & gateway ( https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/symfonisk- ... s49319167/ )
Interesting. Why do the guides online make it sound so hard and crappy to use with a PC? I mean I get extra steps are necessary if you're missing optical out, but I have that on my motherboard.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2003
4217 posts
1007 upvotes
GTA
scouzer wrote: Interesting. Why do the guides online make it sound so hard and crappy to use with a PC? I mean I get extra steps are necessary if you're missing optical out, but I have that on my motherboard.
It's only difficult to get 5.1 surround out of it when not bitstreaming movies because you need a sound device that supports DTS or DD5.1 encoding over SPDIF. (DTS suppport coming to Sonos soon)
Most motherboard manufacturers don't pay for this feature so someone modded them to allow it to work. Otherwise you can purchase an add-in sound card or usb card that supports it out of box.
I'm using an old X-Fi Titanium HD that has DD encoding and optical out, and in Windows you just need to click the audio dropdown to change the output. Works well here.
Jan 8, 2017
38 posts
25 upvotes
scouzer wrote: Interesting. Why do the guides online make it sound so hard and crappy to use with a PC? I mean I get extra steps are necessary if you're missing optical out, but I have that on my motherboard.
Yea if you have an optical out, it's much more straightforward. If you have a laptop, it's a lot more convoluted.
And then what Zoob mentioned about 5.1 playback.
May 15, 2018
46 posts
18 upvotes
Benetton wrote: Ordered yesterday on Microsoft website. Order status still showing pending. Anyone else having the same order status?
Me too.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
3258 posts
555 upvotes
Would this work as a regular sound bar, with eArc from the TV and optical-in from a Chromecast Audio? Or would I have to get the Sonos app and run everything through it?
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2224 posts
4796 upvotes
Markham
mc_molineux wrote: Would this work as a regular sound bar, with eArc from the TV and optical-in from a Chromecast Audio? Or would I have to get the Sonos app and run everything through it?
It will work as a regular sound bar. If you don't want to use it as a stand alone speaker for music, then you can completely ignore the app after setup (you do need the app to set it up). Your TV remote will be enough.