• Nov 26th, 2020 10:00 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1286 posts
870 upvotes
Orleans, ON
Buddy of mine did the $1 upgrade, but only had 4 months of Gold. If he buys 2.5 more years of gold, will Ultimate extend for that period, or will it expire in 4 months?

Sorry if it's been asked before. 100 pages is just way too much to look through.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18847 posts
8504 upvotes
Oakville
Kevin8se7en wrote: Buddy of mine did the $1 upgrade, but only had 4 months of Gold. If he buys 2.5 more years of gold, will Ultimate extend for that period, or will it expire in 4 months?

Sorry if it's been asked before. 100 pages is just way too much to look through.
No, when you already have ultimate, you can't use gold passes to extend it at par. I think you get 3 or 4 months for a 1 year gold code, and similarly cut down amounts for shorter codes.

Best bet is for your buddy to wait for his current one to expire, and then go back to regular gold for the full 3 years, and then upgrade again.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1393 posts
1293 upvotes
I dont have an Xbox but I have the Costco RTX 2070 gaming PC.

Any recommendations on the good PC games included with this? I'm on the fence... I only see Gears 5 that I might enjoy. A lot of the other stuff I already have on PS4.
Wallet safe :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1458 posts
251 upvotes
Vancouver
D0ntgiveajack wrote: I dont have an Xbox but I have the Costco RTX 2070 gaming PC.

Any recommendations on the good PC games included with this? I'm on the fence... I only see Gears 5 that I might enjoy. A lot of the other stuff I already have on PS4.
Big name:
The Outer Worlds
Forza Horizon 4
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Blair Witch
Cities Skylines
Dirt Rally 2
Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice
Metro Exodus
Middle Earth Shadow of War
Prey
Rise of Tomb Raider
Sea of Thieves

Indie:
Dead Cells
Hollow Knight
Bad North: Jotumn Edition
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Minit
Ruiner
Jun 27, 2017
296 posts
134 upvotes
Ottawa
Best way to get and play the games? Straight from the store or use the Xbox Beta app?
Dec 9, 2001
451 posts
193 upvotes
Vancouver
Tibbs wrote: Thank you. So the only drawback I see then is if you have kids playing on your Xbox at home. They no longer will have XBL or online play I'd assume? or am I wrong?
The purpose of the "Home Xbox" feature, is for you to play your games offline, or allow others on the same Xbox with a different account.
It's telling Microsoft: "Hey, this is my Xbox, so I can do whatever I want."

By setting your home Xbox on another console, you no longer have the ability to play offline. Because, in a sense, you're now playing on "someone else's" Xbox.
If you lose internet connection, a lot of games will quit automatically. So keep that in mind if you have spotty Wi-Fi.

For example:
You have an Xbox.
Your kid has an Xbox.

You pay for game pass.
Your kid did not pay for game pass.

You set your home Xbox console as your kids, but you don't play on it. You play on your own Xbox
Your kid plays on their own Xbox, but it's now marked as "your" home Xbox.

You have access to nothing you own digitally, or gamepass when you're offline. Even though you paid for it.
Your kid has access to everything you own offline, including game pass, even though he doesn't pay for it.

Your kid can no longer access stuff he bought on his own account offline, only your purchases are available to him.
If your kid wants to play his own DLC's and games, he will need to be online too.

tl;dr: The person who shares gives up the ability to play offline.
Last edited by ShocWave on Oct 30th, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1458 posts
251 upvotes
Vancouver
TheCheapCDN wrote: Best way to get and play the games? Straight from the store or use the Xbox Beta app?
If you keep your Xbox and/or PC powered on, you can use the Xbox Beta app to browse games and then push a remote install to your device.
It works quite well in my experience (PC) and is a nice feature.
Jun 27, 2017
296 posts
134 upvotes
Ottawa
Ah interesting. Thanks for the information. I plan to play on PC.
Do installs from the Microsoft store carry over nicely?

I've been using the Steam link app on my fire stick with a Bluetooth Xbox one controller to play games on the big screen, it been working great so looking forward to more controller friendly games.
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
897 posts
450 upvotes
So got this for PC and I’m not seeing the rage:
Only games gears 5
Outer world

What else is good? No other new releases on this platform...
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1119 posts
687 upvotes
London, ON
@Doebird The rage is paying $6/month or less for 2 new major $80-ish releases now. Plus games cycling in on a regular basis—including most new releases from Microsoft-owned developers. Plus a big selection of older and lower-profile games.

Sort by release date for newer stuff:
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_ ... Pass_games

Sort by Metacritic for higher-rated stuff:
https://whydoineeda.fandom.com/wiki/Xbo ... ass_for_PC

Scroll up this page for bigsky2's recommendations, or do a web search for "best game pass pc games".
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18847 posts
8504 upvotes
Oakville
AnonymousBroccoli wrote: @Doebird The rage is paying $6/month or less for 2 new major $80-ish releases now. Plus games cycling in on a regular basis—including most new releases from Microsoft-owned developers. Plus a big selection of older and lower-profile games.
I believe it's *all* new games from Xbox Game Studios (formerly Microsoft Studios/Microsoft Game Studios).
TheCheapCDN wrote: Best way to get and play the games? Straight from the store or use the Xbox Beta app?
TheCheapCDN wrote: Ah interesting. Thanks for the information. I plan to play on PC.
Do installs from the Microsoft store carry over nicely?

I've been using the Steam link app on my fire stick with a Bluetooth Xbox one controller to play games on the big screen, it been working great so looking forward to more controller friendly games.
At the start you could only install from the beta app, but at some point since they added it to the store app on Windows, and on the website too. I've never tried the Steam link app on my fire stick, I should really give that a go too. I've got the XBox in the basement on the projector for real big screen playing, but wouldn't mind playing some PC stuff in the family room on the "smaller" 65" TV, for solo games and the like that I don't play with buddies on the XBox.
Doebird wrote: So got this for PC and I’m not seeing the rage:
Only games gears 5
Outer world

What else is good? No other new releases on this platform...
"The rage" for me is that as an XBox gamer, I already had 3 years of Xbox Live stacked any way, so it was a no brainer to spend a buck to upgrade the whole shebang, even if I only ever just play those two games. There's a handful of older games in the pass that are on my list of "Games to pick up when they go on sale for cheap", so now I don't have to do that either.
Mar 28, 2016
344 posts
108 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta, Ca…
I got two 3 months of Xbox Game Pass for PC from buying a 5700XT card and a 3800X CPU (AMD Raise The Game Bundle). Can I use this code instead of paying $1 for the PC Game Pass if I follow OP's instruction? Will it give me 6 more months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate? Thanks.

I'm thinking of getting 2X12 months Xbox LIve+2x3months of Xbox Game Pass for PC=24+2+6=32 months and 1 months of GPU. The total will give me 33 months of GPU.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1119 posts
687 upvotes
London, ON
@kr8zyduke I think you've got it figured out. You might also get the auto-renew prompt for a bonus month, when redeeming each of your 3-month Game Pass PC codes.

Yes, your Game Pass PC time will convert equally to Ultimate time—as long as you redeem the codes before subscribing to Ultimate.

You don't need to buy the $1 Game Pass PC (before redeeming your codes), but that's a cheap extra month if you do.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18847 posts
8504 upvotes
Oakville
kr8zyduke wrote: I got two 3 months of Xbox Game Pass for PC from buying a 5700XT card and a 3800X CPU (AMD Raise The Game Bundle). Can I use this code instead of paying $1 for the PC Game Pass if I follow OP's instruction? Will it give me 6 more months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate? Thanks.

I'm thinking of getting 2X12 months Xbox LIve+2x3months of Xbox Game Pass for PC=24+2+6=32 months and 1 months of GPU. The total will give me 33 months of GPU.
Best thing to do is pay the $1 for PC game pass, THEN apply your codes - why not take an extra month for $1?