Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Microsoft Store] Upgrade XBox Live Gold to Gamepass Ultimate at 1:1

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 3:20 pm
Tags:
None
Member
Mar 28, 2016
330 posts
102 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta, Ca…
wearysky wrote:
Best thing to do is pay the $1 for PC game pass, THEN apply your codes - why not take an extra month for $1?
AnonymousBroccoli wrote: @kr8zyduke I think you've got it figured out. You might also get the auto-renew prompt for a bonus month, when redeeming each of your 3-month Game Pass PC codes.

Yes, your Game Pass PC time will convert equally to Ultimate time—as long as you redeem the codes before subscribing to Ultimate.

You don't need to buy the $1 Game Pass PC (before redeeming your codes), but that's a cheap extra month if you do.
Thanks guys. Unfortunately the 3 month PC Game Pass trial cannot be stacked so I bought 2X12 and 1X3 month Xbox live card form Costco and now I got almost 3 years of GPU. I can play a lot on my AMD 3800X+5700XT PC and my Xbox 1X. Wish I hadn't bought Forza Horizon 4 Xbox a while back. Oh, well. Thank you OP.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 24, 2007
1117 posts
686 upvotes
London, ON
Hmm. I wouldn't have figured AMD promos would be trial codes (for new users, I assume), or strict about it. Especially since you can buy a CPU and GPU offering the same promo. That's a bummer. Sorry. :\
Newbie
Jul 24, 2019
34 posts
21 upvotes
Hi, can someone help me understand the process, please?

"Gold time added AFTER conversion to Ultimate will be at a 3:1 rate. 12 months of Gold = 4 Months of Ultimate, so be sure to add BEFORE conversion."

So, a 12 month Gold pass is 4 months of Ultimate pass?

At the end of the steps, it says you get 35 months of Ultimate pass. How do you get 35 months when you buy: 12 months of Gold + 12 months of Gold + 6 Months of gold = 30 months of Gold.
Based on ratio: 30 of months of Gold / 3 = 10 months of Ultimate pass?

Can someone clarify this for me, please?
Jr. Member
Jan 1, 2008
120 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
CycloneX wrote: Hi, can someone help me understand the process, please?

"Gold time added AFTER conversion to Ultimate will be at a 3:1 rate. 12 months of Gold = 4 Months of Ultimate, so be sure to add BEFORE conversion."

So, a 12 month Gold pass is 4 months of Ultimate pass?

At the end of the steps, it says you get 35 months of Ultimate pass. How do you get 35 months when you buy: 12 months of Gold + 12 months of Gold + 6 Months of gold = 30 months of Gold.
Based on ratio: 30 of months of Gold / 3 = 10 months of Ultimate pass?

Can someone clarify this for me, please?
It's correct. That's why you have to add Gold time first then convert not the other way around.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 24, 2007
1117 posts
686 upvotes
London, ON
@CycloneX
  • Without an active Ultimate subscription: 12-month XBL Gold code converts to 12 months of Ultimate
  • With an active Ultimate subscription: 12-month XBL Gold code converts to 4 months of Ultimate

Typical conversion rate is based on US MSRP:
12-month XBL Gold code = $60 USD = 4 months of Game Pass Ultimate ($15 USD/month)

For now, when you start your Ultimate subscription, they are ignoring the monetary values, and converting the remaining subscription time at par.
Newbie
Jul 24, 2019
34 posts
21 upvotes
AnonymousBroccoli wrote: @CycloneX
  • Without an active Ultimate subscription: 12-month XBL Gold code converts to 12 months of Ultimate
  • With an active Ultimate subscription: 12-month XBL Gold code converts to 4 months of Ultimate

Typical conversion rate is based on US MSRP:
12-month XBL Gold code = $60 USD = 4 months of Game Pass Ultimate ($15 USD/month)

For now, when you start your Ultimate subscription, they are ignoring the monetary values, and converting the remaining subscription time at par.
Oh, thank you!! Now, I understand. So, If I don't have any xbox ultimate subscription, and I register Xbox gold 12 months, it becomes 12 months ultimate?

I just bought xbox one x, and don't have any xbox account or subscription. I get 1 month of xbox gold with the console..

So, this is what i should do:

1.) Buy xbox month gold (maximum of 36 months)

2.) Register / Redeem the xbox gold months passes

3.) Activate xbox gold for 30 months (for example).

4.) Then buy xbox ultimate and convert 30 months of xbox gold into ultimate?

Is there any step I missed between #2 and 3?
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 24, 2007
1117 posts
686 upvotes
London, ON
CycloneX wrote: So, If I don't have any xbox ultimate subscription, and I register Xbox gold 12 months, it becomes 12 months ultimate?
Correct.
CycloneX wrote: Is there any step I missed between #2 and 3?
2 & 3 are pretty much the same step. You enter your code. It should give you a confirmation screen showing what the code is for. When you accept that, your subscription is active.

When you redeem a code, you should be offered 1 month of extra time for enabling auto-renew (aka recurring billing). I'm not sure if you need a payment method on your account beforehand, or if it will prompt you.
In between codes, make sure you disable auto-renew every time. That way you should be offered the bonus with each new code. Disable here:
https://account.microsoft.com/services/

Between 3 & 4, if you don't yet have 35 months of active subscription time, there are a few ways to add cheap extra months. The codes that came with your console, for example. (Unless they're trial codes restricted to new members.) If you have a code for Game Pass Ultimate, don't redeem that yet.

Could also buy your first month of Game Pass PC for $1. Link here.

Once you're subscribed to as much time as you want, you should be able to buy your first month of Game Pass Ultimate for $1. Link here. At that point, it will convert your combined subscription times to Game Pass Ultimate time.

Then you can disable auto-renew one more time, so you don't forget in 3 years, and start paying $17/month regular price.

After you're an Ultimate subscriber, future codes will be converted at a reduced rate based on MSRP. Full table of conversion rates in the bottom FAQ here.
Newbie
Jan 5, 2017
72 posts
54 upvotes
Please help me understand how this should work.

Right now I have 25 months of gold which doesn't become 24 months until 11/20/2019. I have a spare 12 month code that I am waiting to add. I also have the 3 month PC game pass code from buying my Ryzen processor. If I apply the pc game pass code, does anyone know if I have to wait another 3 months before I can apply the 12 month xbox live code? To my understanding, that shouldn't be an issue since on their own they are two separate systems. I have a feeling that if I apply the PC promotional code, if I apply the xbox live gold code on the 20th of this month, then do the conversion, I should still just end up with 36 months of GPU. Effectively forfeiting the remaining time on game pass for PC

Just wondering if this is correct. Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2011
1035 posts
404 upvotes
Brandon
AnonymousBroccoli wrote: Link:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/xb ... d/13627110

Terms: Bonus Xbox One 3-Month Game Pass Ultimate code will be emailed separately within 24 hours of placing your order. Limited quantities, while supplies last. No rainchecks. Downloadable Software is non-refundable and non-returnable. An electronic code will be emailed to you by Codes 2 GO Inc. You will not be shipped a CD or other physical goods. Please ensure to provide the correct email address when placing your order. Code must be redeemed by 1/15/2020.


That's $50 for 6 months, or $8.33/month. Regular $17/month. Not bad for an extension, if you've already bought in.
Is the 3 mo free sold out yet?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2011
1035 posts
404 upvotes
Brandon
AnonymousBroccoli wrote: Link:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/xb ... d/13627110

Terms: Bonus Xbox One 3-Month Game Pass Ultimate code will be emailed separately within 24 hours of placing your order. Limited quantities, while supplies last. No rainchecks. Downloadable Software is non-refundable and non-returnable. An electronic code will be emailed to you by Codes 2 GO Inc. You will not be shipped a CD or other physical goods. Please ensure to provide the correct email address when placing your order. Code must be redeemed by 1/15/2020.


That's $50 for 6 months, or $8.33/month. Regular $17/month. Not bad for an extension, if you've already bought in.
Just tried it out. Still got the bonus so they have not run out yet...
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 24, 2007
1117 posts
686 upvotes
London, ON
Kanlee wrote: Please help me understand how this should work.

Right now I have 25 months of gold which doesn't become 24 months until 11/20/2019. I have a spare 12 month code that I am waiting to add. I also have the 3 month PC game pass code from buying my Ryzen processor. If I apply the pc game pass code, does anyone know if I have to wait another 3 months before I can apply the 12 month xbox live code? To my understanding, that shouldn't be an issue since on their own they are two separate systems. I have a feeling that if I apply the PC promotional code, if I apply the xbox live gold code on the 20th of this month, then do the conversion, I should still just end up with 36 months of GPU. Effectively forfeiting the remaining time on game pass for PC

Just wondering if this is correct. Thanks in advance.
I think you've got it. Each different Microsoft/Xbox subscription can be extended to a maximum of 36 months. Pretty sure if you try to redeem your 12-month Gold code, it won't let you right now. When you first become an Ultimate subscriber, it converts your combined time—also to a maximum of 36 months.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 24, 2007
1117 posts
686 upvotes
London, ON
dboyman5 wrote: Just tried it out. Still got the bonus so they have not run out yet...
That's good. I assume as long as the "Special Offer" notice appears below the price, you'll still get the bonus code.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 22, 2013
1021 posts
339 upvotes
BC
Hi, I just spent an hour on the phone with Costco and I'm very displeased with the level of customer service offered. I have tried to purchase two 12 Month Xbox Live Gold Membership – Digital download Item #1060292 as well as one Xbox Live Gold 6 Month Membership - Digital Download Item #1145546 with my Visa. For the first time I tried buying it (Order Number Blanked Out For Obvious Reasons) I used my Mom's Costco card with my Visa to purchase it. It was cancelled. Today, on my day off, I spoke to a nice gentleman on the phone who today (the first time I called in) who said to change the shipping information to match my Mom's shipping information as it her Costco card. I went ahead and did that because it seemed logical, only to have my order cancelled again. I called in again, and spoke to another nice gentleman (Cody) who said because my name isn't on the Costco card the order won't go through despite what I was previously told. Okay fair enough, I remove the Costco membership from the order (making a third order online) only to have it cancelled again a few minutes later. I spoke to a female representative on the phone (didn't catch her name) who said my order was cancelled because they were unable to verify me. I don't, and didn't understand what that means so I asked to speak to a manager. She put me on hold more than 3 times, for more than 30 minutes, saying each time that she would get her supervisor. The last time she took me off hold she said "I will get my supervisor to talk to you," then paused for around a minute and said "goodbye". I don't understand why I'm unable to be verified, for a non-member item, why I couldn't speak to a supervisor, why I was on hold for a long time only to get told "goodbye", and finally why I can't make the purchase online for a digital item. I even called my bank to verify the problem wasn't on their end. All in all, it was a very poor shopping experience (if you can even call it that, I still need to purchase Xbox Live Gold).
Intel Core i7-9700KF | Asus Strix 2070 Super | <3
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2016
1424 posts
618 upvotes
BC
DanRFD wrote: Hi, I just spent an hour on the phone with Costco and I'm very displeased with the level of customer service offered. I have tried to purchase two 12 Month Xbox Live Gold Membership – Digital download Item #1060292 as well as one Xbox Live Gold 6 Month Membership - Digital Download Item #1145546 with my Visa. For the first time I tried buying it (Order Number Blanked Out For Obvious Reasons) I used my Mom's Costco card with my Visa to purchase it. It was cancelled. Today, on my day off, I spoke to a nice gentleman on the phone who today (the first time I called in) who said to change the shipping information to match my Mom's shipping information as it her Costco card. I went ahead and did that because it seemed logical, only to have my order cancelled again. I called in again, and spoke to another nice gentleman (Cody) who said because my name isn't on the Costco card the order won't go through despite what I was previously told. Okay fair enough, I remove the Costco membership from the order (making a third order online) only to have it cancelled again a few minutes later. I spoke to a female representative on the phone (didn't catch her name) who said my order was cancelled because they were unable to verify me. I don't, and didn't understand what that means so I asked to speak to a manager. She put me on hold more than 3 times, for more than 30 minutes, saying each time that she would get her supervisor. The last time she took me off hold she said "I will get my supervisor to talk to you," then paused for around a minute and said "goodbye". I don't understand why I'm unable to be verified, for a non-member item, why I couldn't speak to a supervisor, why I was on hold for a long time only to get told "goodbye", and finally why I can't make the purchase online for a digital item. I even called my bank to verify the problem wasn't on their end. All in all, it was a very poor shopping experience (if you can even call it that, I still need to purchase Xbox Live Gold).
I thought Costco only accepts MC?

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 3 guests)

ManavC656081