Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1110 posts
1088 upvotes
Markham, ON
I may have f'd up.

Now that school has started, other ******* kids are playing Fortnite and talking about the entire school day, so clearly my kid is begging me for it as well.

So I signed up for the $1 deal (from the link in op).

I then read the summary advising not to sign up for the $1 deal until I get myself the pass from costco.ca, redeem it then get the $1.

Is my only option create a new xbox live account in a month, get the pass from costco and redeem the $1 offer?
FIDO, Koodo, Public Mobile, TELUS customer.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1120 posts
690 upvotes
London, ON
@at87on If your goal is to get a long-term Game Pass Ultimate subscription: Let your current subscription expire, then go through the process on the first page. You likely won't be offered a $1 month of Ultimate, as that's usually a promotional price for new subscribers. Other than that, it's the same deal; for the final step, you'll pay $17 for Ultimate instead of $1.

Disable auto-renew for your current subscription here:
https://account.microsoft.com/services/
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1110 posts
1088 upvotes
Markham, ON
AnonymousBroccoli wrote: @at87on If your goal is to get a long-term Game Pass Ultimate subscription: Let your current subscription expire, then go through the process on the first page. You likely won't be offered a $1 month of Ultimate, as that's usually a promotional price for new subscribers. Other than that, it's the same deal; for the final step, you'll pay $17 for Ultimate instead of $1.

Disable auto-renew for your current subscription here:
TBH, the long-term goal is to pay as little as possible so the little shits can play Fortnite.
I don't think they'll play another game, or need any other fancy feature.

I've already turned off the atuo-renew.
I guess next step to buy the 12 month membership from costco for $60.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1120 posts
690 upvotes
London, ON
at87on wrote: TBH, the long-term goal is to pay as little as possible so the little shits can play Fortnite.
I don't think they'll play another game, or need any other fancy feature.
This maybe won't help you if you've already chosen Xbox One:

Fortnite is free-to-play on all platforms. Most game consoles require an ongoing subscription to play online multi-player games. Xbox is the only platform that requires their subscription (Xbox Live Gold) for free-to-play games.

If cheap Fortnite is your only goal, it can be played for free (no subscriptions) on:
  • PlayStation 4
  • PlayStation 5 (soon)
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Windows PC
  • Android 8+ devices
The latter two would have minimum hardware requirements. Not sure whether buying a new device (if you need it) would end up cheaper in the long run or not.
Oct 17, 2017
93 posts
48 upvotes
I have a current sub to Xbox gamepass for PC that expires on Sept25, 2020. I have turned off auto renew as of then. I previously had a 3 month stint of xbox gamepass ultimate from March-June of this year as well. Will I still be able to buy some xbox live 12 month cards and convert the the time to a GPU sub, or am i exempt from this promotion because it's not a new MS account?
Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4667 posts
2593 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
So if I'm not a Costco member, i guess i can buy Xbox gold key on the grey market and it will still work?
Dec 14, 2012
9 posts
I signed up for the $1 Gamepass Ultimate sub (already had xbox live gold that expires in May 2021).

The email receipt showed the $1 + tax charge but it also said my next payment owed (which is $16.xx) isn't due until June 23, 2021.
Is this correct? Will I be getting all the next 9 months of gamepass ultimate for the $1? Or is it some error?
Sep 10, 2017
24 posts
22 upvotes
Again RFD comes through.

Also needed to renew our xbox live sub - back to school and kids want some vids. Thank goodness I came to RFD first! $119.98 for 2 12 month x box live codes from costco. Redeem one at a time and toggle the recurring billing for an extra free month = 26 months of xbox live. $1 first month of game pass ultimate, and I now have 27 months of game pass ultimate. I make that $4.49 per month for Game pass ultimate.

The added bonus for me, Thanks to RFD, I bought one 3 month live code from Costco in December 2018 for $16 (the regular price at the time was $25). There was an RFD post about it way back then. Somehow you got 3 bonus 3 month codes as well. I still had two codes left, but they were expired. I called costco this morning and they refunded me $25 x 2 for the expired codes.

Everything is coming up Millhouse.

Thanks again RFD.
So I took the randomly assigned username when I signed up. Never thought this would be my favorite website!!
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1110 posts
1088 upvotes
Markham, ON
AnonymousBroccoli wrote: This maybe won't help you if you've already chosen Xbox One:

Fortnite is free-to-play on all platforms. Most game consoles require an ongoing subscription to play online multi-player games. Xbox is the only platform that requires their subscription (Xbox Live Gold) for free-to-play games.

If cheap Fortnite is your only goal, it can be played for free (no subscriptions) on:
  • PlayStation 4
  • PlayStation 5 (soon)
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Windows PC
  • Android 8+ devices
The latter two would have minimum hardware requirements. Not sure whether buying a new device (if you need it) would end up cheaper in the long run or not.
Thanks for the info!

I bought the little shits X Box One S for Christmas last year so we already have the console.

I tried to install it on the desktop, but it requires close 100GB of space on the C drive, and I had less than 40GB. I didn't want to mess around with the desktop, so just went the XBox route.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1120 posts
690 upvotes
London, ON
TeejayVV wrote: I have a current sub to Xbox gamepass for PC that expires on Sept25, 2020. I have turned off auto renew as of then. I previously had a 3 month stint of xbox gamepass ultimate from March-June of this year as well. Will I still be able to buy some xbox live 12 month cards and convert the the time to a GPU sub, or am i exempt from this promotion because it's not a new MS account?
Thanks in advance.
You might not be offered $1 for your first month on various subscriptions, if you have used those introductory offers before.

Converting lower-tier subscriptions (e.g. Xbox Live Gold) equally to Game Pass Ultimate should be available to anyone who is not a current Ultimate subscriber.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1120 posts
690 upvotes
London, ON
joefig44 wrote: I signed up for the $1 Gamepass Ultimate sub (already had xbox live gold that expires in May 2021).

The email receipt showed the $1 + tax charge but it also said my next payment owed (which is $16.xx) isn't due until June 23, 2021.
Is this correct? Will I be getting all the next 9 months of gamepass ultimate for the $1? Or is it some error?
It's correct. You have paid for Game Pass Ultimate until June. After that, regular price is $17/month+tax.

You can disable auto-renew/recurring billing here, if you don't want to be automatically charged from June forward:
Oct 17, 2017
93 posts
48 upvotes
AnonymousBroccoli wrote: You might not be offered $1 for your first month on various subscriptions, if you have used those introductory offers before.

Converting lower-tier subscriptions (e.g. Xbox Live Gold) equally to Game Pass Ultimate should be available to anyone who is not a current Ultimate subscriber.
Alright, thank you. Looks like i just have to wait until my current sub expires before I can add on the xbox live time and then convert it to GPU.
Looking forward to it!
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2009
1460 posts
906 upvotes
Vancouver
For someone with another 30 months to go, what's the best way to top up another 6 months?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19277 posts
8827 upvotes
Oakville
PharaohsVizier wrote: Thanks!
Yeah, I tried chatting with the MS chat agents before, there's no way to revert your existing ultimate back to Gold (at least, I couldn't find any way to do it in my Microsoft Account page, and talking to the chat agent, they said if they cancelled my Ultimate it wouldn't revert back to Gold, it would just cancel everything outright).
Oct 17, 2017
93 posts
48 upvotes
I don't have a Costco membership, and Amazon is selling a 1 year card for $90. Are there any other good sites to get a nice price on a 12mo live card? Thanks
Jul 10, 2019
81 posts
160 upvotes
TeejayVV wrote: I don't have a Costco membership, and Amazon is selling a 1 year card for $90. Are there any other good sites to get a nice price on a 12mo live card? Thanks
I’ve been using eBay for last 3 years for Spotify, Netflix and live. Never had an issue. Long time sellers with refund

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/202941605952

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)