• Oct 20th, 2020 10:53 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2143 posts
847 upvotes
Montreal, QC
blazed16 wrote: Theres just so many pages in here. Quick question, If i did this in june but want to extend it more am i able to do so now or am i sol? Mine expires end of 2020
you can add up to 36 months so extend away
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1117 posts
686 upvotes
London, ON
blazed16 wrote: Theres just so many pages in here. Quick question, If i did this in june but want to extend it more am i able to do so now or am i sol? Mine expires end of 2020
Other reply is kind of misleading. You can extend your membership. You can not use the basic concept of this thread to extend it in a relatively cheap way.

When you have an active Game Pass Ultimate subscription, redeeming codes for lower-priced subscriptions will not convert equally to Ultimate time. That's when the infamous chart comes into play.

Open the bottom FAQ here, or click the screenshot below:
https://www.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-game-pass#faq
Images
  • Screenshot_2019-12-29 Join Xbox Game Pass Xbox.png
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1117 posts
686 upvotes
London, ON
@blazed16 A handful of stores have 3-month Ultimate cards for half price—ends up $8.33/month. Better than the standard $17/month, but not the sub-$5/month you'd get as a new Ultimate subscriber.

The Source adds tax; others do not.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4585 posts
1101 upvotes
Wat
Can you opt out of ultimate and go back to regular gold?
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10321 posts
4801 upvotes
AnonymousBroccoli wrote: Other reply is kind of misleading. You can extend your membership. You can not use the basic concept of this thread to extend it in a relatively cheap way.

When you have an active Game Pass Ultimate subscription, redeeming codes for lower-priced subscriptions will not convert equally to Ultimate time. That's when the infamous chart comes into play.

Open the bottom FAQ here, or click the screenshot below:
https://www.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-game-pass#faq
Thanks alot for this.!
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!
Buy first think later!
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10321 posts
4801 upvotes
AnonymousBroccoli wrote: @blazed16 A handful of stores have 3-month Ultimate cards for half price—ends up $8.33/month. Better than the standard $17/month, but not the sub-$5/month you'd get as a new Ultimate subscriber.

The Source adds tax; others do not.
Not too bad might do this.Looks to be the best instead of buying gold cards
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!
Buy first think later!
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1117 posts
686 upvotes
London, ON
blazed16 wrote: Not too bad might do this.Looks to be the best instead of buying gold cards
Unless you're getting Gold or standard Game Pass codes at a heavy discount, then buying the cheaper Ultimate codes is the better way to go, if you want to extend right now. You're mainly comparing the sale percentage. If a Gold code is more than 50% off MSRP, that'll likely end up better than 50% off an Ultimate code. *

I don't honestly know if there's anything better than the half-price Ultimate codes for extensions. You could wait for your subscription to expire, and see if the equal conversion offer is still active. But who knows if that'll be the case in a year, when Xbox Series X is coming out.

If you do want to wait for your subscription to expire, disable auto-renew (aka recurring billing) here:
https://account.microsoft.com/services/

Buying a currently-discounted 3-month Gold code for $17.49 from Costco would convert to 50 days of Ultimate, which is roughly $10.49/month.
A 12-month Gold code for $60 from Costco turns to 4 months of Ultimate, at $15/month. Better than regular price, but not by much.

* My math rule for conversions isn't 100% exact, because rates in the chart are based on US MSRP.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18141 posts
8001 upvotes
Oakville
The consensus seems to be that MS is unlikely to do away with the "convert your existing regular gold balance at par" policy any time soon. They've done it that way with Office365 for years, for example. I guess the theory is that nobody will upgrade to ultimate if their existing gold balance will only convert at 1/4 or whatever.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1117 posts
686 upvotes
London, ON
The whole point of the conversion chart is to make sure customers aren't losing anything in the process, by tying it (more or less) to MSRP/ERP.

However, convincing people that the math is right, when all they're seeing is 12 months turn into 4 months. . . that's a whole other problem. For now, they're going the more generous route. I doubt they'll do that forever. But I'm admittedly not at all familiar with Office365, its subscription tiers, or the level of competition it faces.
Dec 28, 2019
2 posts
3 upvotes
Hi everyone,
So i just bought an xbox one s all-digital i want want to use the deal of getting several gold membership months and convert them to game pass ultimate. I do not have an xbox account yet.
From what i see it seems that the original way of getting the membership cards at costco, 12+12+6 months and use the basic concept of this thread is still the way to go correct? I have looked online and costco still seems to be the cheapest place to the the 12-month card.

I do not have a costco card so i am going to ask a friend, but can i go to a store and get these cards or can i only buy them online?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Nov 22, 2019
78 posts
17 upvotes
AnonymousBroccoli wrote: @ScatterStash Also, when you buy Game Pass Ultimate, in addition to the conversion, you still get the Ultimate month(s) that you paid for.

12-month XBL Gold code +
1 month bonus to enable auto-renew +
3 months of Ultimate for $1
= 16 months of Ultimate

Before any of that, you could also add 1 month for $1 of XBL Gold and/or Game Pass PC, if you like.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/xbox- ... q7ttc0k5dj
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/xbox- ... 0KGQ8/0002
Thanks a lot for the heads up. I went ahead and got the $1 1 month of Game Pass PC like you said. I'm going to go ahead and purchase a 12 month XBL Gold tomorrow morning from costco. Can you please let me know whether I should turn off the recurring billing before redeeming the costco code? Thank you!
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1117 posts
686 upvotes
London, ON
@pujante First thing: You don't need a paid Costco membership to buy most items on Costco.ca. If the price is hidden, and the product page says "Member-only item" (or something similar), then you need a membership. Otherwise, it's open to anyone. I don't know about in-store availability or pricing.

Going by current Costco prices, these are the best buys for Xbox Live Gold, after you factor in the bonus month for enabling auto-renew:
3 months (+1) at $17.49 = $4.37/month
12 months (+1) at $59.99 = $4.61/month
6 months (+1) at $37.99 = $5.43/month
Costco product pages typically say "Limit 3 per member". I don't know if that's strictly true, or if it's actually limit 3 per transaction.

There are current offers to get your first month for $1, of Xbox Live Gold and Game Pass (PC). If you're going to buy these, do so before redeeming any subscription codes, as they're not available to active subscribers.
However, do not buy the $1 offer for Game Pass Ultimate until the very end of this whole process.

When you first make your account, and set up your Xbox, you might have account-specific offers for cheap (free?) first months for various subscriptions. But I get the impression they don't do this much anymore.

You may have subscription cards that came in the box with your console. Those could add a bit of time now. If you have a Game Pass Ultimate card, don't redeem that one.

Beyond that, figure out the cheapest way to get to 33 months of combined subscription time. Then you can buy the 3 months for $1 Game Pass Ultimate offer, convert everything, and hopefully max out right around 36 months.

(I've seen some recent people with expiry dates of Feb 2023. I don't know how that happens, so maybe someone else could shed some light.)

As a side note for the Xbox One S All-Digital: Some of the digital games included with the console are part of Game Pass. So if you're going to be a long-term subscriber, it might not be worthwhile to redeem those codes to your account. You could try to sell them, or give them away, or whatever.
Minecraft and Sea of Thieves are included with Game Pass. Whether you got a Fortnite code, or Forza Horizon 3—neither of those are part of Game Pass.
Sep 7, 2009
660 posts
265 upvotes
So I signed up for the $1 for 3 months of Ultimate a few days before buying the the 3+3 Gold at Costco. Now when trying to add the Gold it coverts it to 1 month of Ultimate. The 3 month bonus code expires 2 weeks before the Ultimate expires, so I can’t just wait for it to expire. What do I do?
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1117 posts
686 upvotes
London, ON
ScatterStash wrote: Thanks a lot for the heads up. I went ahead and got the $1 1 month of Game Pass PC like you said. I'm going to go ahead and purchase a 12 month XBL Gold tomorrow morning from costco. Can you please let me know whether I should turn off the recurring billing before redeeming the costco code? Thank you!
If you're planning to get the $1 first month of XBL Gold, be aware that it's only available for new/inactive subscribers. So get that before redeeming the Costco code.

Recurring billing should be off before redeeming codes. You'll get the bonus offer to turn it on. Then you can turn it back off again—whether to redeem other codes. . . or because you just want it off.

https://account.microsoft.com/services/
https://redeem.microsoft.com/
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1117 posts
686 upvotes
London, ON
holden wrote: So I signed up for the $1 for 3 months of Ultimate a few days before buying the the 3+3 Gold at Costco. Now when trying to add the Gold it coverts it to 1 month of Ultimate. The 3 month bonus code expires 2 weeks before the Ultimate expires, so I can’t just wait for it to expire. What do I do?
Try to contact support, and see if they'll refund and cancel the Ultimate purchase. I don't know whether the $1 offer will be there again afterwards; maybe see if they know.

https://support.xbox.com/en-CA/

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

tdotflame