Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Microsoft Store] Upgrade XBox Live Gold to Gamepass Ultimate at 1:1

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2020 10:10 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
18829 posts
8497 upvotes
Oakville
pureelite1 wrote: I currently have GPU until June 2022.

What do I have to do to get it extended for another 12 months at least until June 2023?

1- Buy a 12-month Xbox Live Card
2- Speak with customer service and un-subscribe from my current GPU
3- Activate the 12 month Xbox Live Card
4 - Pay $16.99 to convert everything to GPU ?

Please confirm if these steps would work. Trying to maximize my GPU time frame :)
Nope, that won't work. If you unsubscribe from your current GPU it cancels it outright, including any existing balance. The best option for you to extend your balance is to buy (and apply) 3 years worth of EA Play for XBox: microsoft-ea-access-play-merge-game-pas ... h-2401871/

You can also buy some Pizza Pops, to extend for a couple more months on top of that: walmart-pizza-pops-8-pack-plus-14-day-x ... 8-2411219/
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Jr. Member
Nov 7, 2015
175 posts
63 upvotes
wearysky wrote: Nope, that won't work. If you unsubscribe from your current GPU it cancels it outright, including any existing balance. The best option for you to extend your balance is to buy (and apply) 3 years worth of EA Play for XBox: microsoft-ea-access-play-merge-game-pas ... h-2401871/

You can also buy some Pizza Pops, to extend for a couple more months on top of that: walmart-pizza-pops-8-pack-plus-14-day-x ... 8-2411219/
It would cancel my remaining balance and not convert it to Xbox Live? Since they discontinued Xbox Live?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
18829 posts
8497 upvotes
Oakville
pureelite1 wrote: It would cancel my remaining balance and not convert it to Xbox Live? Since they discontinued Xbox Live?
Nothing to do with XBox Live discontinuing (XBox Live is still going strong as of this moment)... It's just that they don't have any way to "roll back" your subscription from Ultimate to XBox Live Gold. Cancellation means full cancellation.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Jr. Member
Nov 7, 2015
175 posts
63 upvotes
wearysky wrote: Nothing to do with XBox Live discontinuing (XBox Live is still going strong as of this moment)... It's just that they don't have any way to "roll back" your subscription from Ultimate to XBox Live Gold. Cancellation means full cancellation.
Gotcha. Thank you!

So if want to extend my GPU by 16 months I can buy 4 years worth of EA Play (3:1)? and when the roll-over happens in November I'll get credited those months on-top of my GPU?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
18829 posts
8497 upvotes
Oakville
pureelite1 wrote: Gotcha. Thank you!

So if want to extend my GPU by 16 months I can buy 4 years worth of EA Play (3:1)? and when the roll-over happens in November I'll get credited those months on-top of my GPU?
The max EA Play that you can stack is 3 years, so no point buying 4 years worth.

And I guess I should add the caveat: Microsoft specified "people that purchased EA Play through the Microsoft Store" in the FAQ on this conversion, which is leading some people to think that it'll only convert 1 year (so 4 months extension)... But I can't see how they could possibly do anything but convert all of it (if they just invalidate the other 2 years of EA Play, people will lose their minds, and giving you 4 months but then leaving 2 years of active EA Play on your account also seems like a nightmare to deal with, technologically speaking). BUT, technically speaking they never said they would do that, so it's a gamble.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Newbie
Nov 25, 2019
9 posts
1 upvote
Hey folks, best buy has 12 month cards for the same price as costco, just got my 12 + 6 + 1 + 1 + 1 and upgraded to GPU!
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2275 posts
894 upvotes
Jubsworth wrote: Hey folks, best buy has 12 month cards for the same price as costco, just got my 12 + 6 + 1 + 1 + 1 and upgraded to GPU!
6 month is cheaper at costco
Newbie
Nov 25, 2019
9 posts
1 upvote
drunkgoat wrote: 6 month is cheaper at costco
Yes I literally said the 12 month is on sale, not 6.

As for costco I tried order 2 12 month and my order was cancelled without reason given like many others in this thread. So best buy works for those struggling with costco.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
18829 posts
8497 upvotes
Oakville
Jubsworth wrote: Hey folks, best buy has 12 month cards for the same price as costco, just got my 12 + 6 + 1 + 1 + 1 and upgraded to GPU!
Yeah, somebody already mentioned this yesterday or the day before, and it was added to the thread summary
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Newbie
Nov 28, 2014
16 posts
Ottawa, ON
Hello everyone,

I'm about to do the upgrade to game pass ultimate for the first time and had a few questions.
"3. Now go to HERE to subscribe to PC Game Pass for $1 for the first month (additional months are $6/month but that doesn't matter - it'll get cancelled in a few minutes in the migration). You now have 33 months of Xbox Live Gold to your account and 1 month of PC Game Pass on your account.
4. Now go to HERE to subscribe to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for $1 for the first month and migrate everything else over to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. You'll now have 35 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate."
How did this get from 33 to 35 weeks in this step? Its including the 1 month PC game pass and the $1 first month of ultimate right? I've already had $1 ultimate before so I was confused if I would get that month or not.

I currently have XBOX live gold subscription until March 10th 2021 so around 4.5 more months. So would the best strategy for me be to get two 12 month Xbox Live Gold? If I understand correctly then I would end up with 24 + 4.5 + 2 (2 gift cards) + 2 (step 4) = 32.5 months. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
18829 posts
8497 upvotes
Oakville
VanDorion wrote: How did this get from 33 to 35 weeks in this step? Its including the 1 month PC game pass and the $1 first month of ultimate right? I've already had $1 ultimate before so I was confused if I would get that month or not.

I currently have XBOX live gold subscription until March 10th 2021 so around 4.5 more months. So would the best strategy for me be to get two 12 month Xbox Live Gold? If I understand correctly then I would end up with 24 + 4.5 + 2 (2 gift cards) + 2 (step 4) = 32.5 months. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
You didn't get from 33 to 35 months - in step 3 you've got 33 months of Live Gold and 1 month of PC game pass. (34 months total). And whether you pay $1 or $16.99 for Ultimate, you still get that month, so that's how you get to 35 months.

In your situation, you could also add a 3 month xbox live gold card if you want ($25.49 from Costco or $29.99 from Microsoft directly) to get you up to 35.5 months (as close to max as you can get). It bumps up your average monthly price a little bit, but at $10/month max it's still less than the $16.99 regular price.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Newbie
Nov 28, 2014
16 posts
Ottawa, ON
wearysky wrote: You didn't get from 33 to 35 months - in step 3 you've got 33 months of Live Gold and 1 month of PC game pass. (34 months total). And whether you pay $1 or $16.99 for Ultimate, you still get that month, so that's how you get to 35 months.

In your situation, you could also add a 3 month xbox live gold card if you want ($25.49 from Costco or $29.99 from Microsoft directly) to get you up to 35.5 months (as close to max as you can get). It bumps up your average monthly price a little bit, but at $10/month max it's still less than the $16.99 regular price.
Thank you for clarifying that. I should have done this way sooner as I was previously paying full price on game pass. Oh well better late that never. Looking forward to game pass on my series X. Thanks again.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2275 posts
894 upvotes
wearysky wrote: You didn't get from 33 to 35 months - in step 3 you've got 33 months of Live Gold and 1 month of PC game pass. (34 months total). And whether you pay $1 or $16.99 for Ultimate, you still get that month, so that's how you get to 35 months.

In your situation, you could also add a 3 month xbox live gold card if you want ($25.49 from Costco or $29.99 from Microsoft directly) to get you up to 35.5 months (as close to max as you can get). It bumps up your average monthly price a little bit, but at $10/month max it's still less than the $16.99 regular price.
Couldn’t he also use the pizza pop promotion and get one and a half months [14 days plus one month for recurring]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
18829 posts
8497 upvotes
Oakville
drunkgoat wrote: Couldn’t he also use the pizza pop promotion and get one and a half months [14 days plus one month for recurring]
Actually, yes, I forgot about that. @VanDorion, you can use the Pizza Pops promo to extend as well - I extended by 3 months with two packs of specially marked pizza pops (when you enter each code you get a free month for enabling auto-renew). Thread here: walmart-pizza-pops-8-pack-plus-14-day-x ... 8-2411219/
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Jr. Member
Mar 3, 2019
171 posts
178 upvotes
Vancouver
So I tried ordering 2 12 months from Costco last night and my order was cancelled without reason. Put an order in at best buy last night and still haven't received my codes. How long does Best Buy usually take?

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

oilers98, Kevin13