Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Microsoft Store] Upgrade XBox Live Gold to Gamepass Ultimate at 1:1

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2021 3:05 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8112 posts
4747 upvotes
Toronto
JAC wrote: Gotta say, PC Game Pass is a big disappointment for me right now. Enjoyed Wolfenstein 2, but Metro Exodus is a giant buggy turd.
I thought Metro Exodus was pretty good but I'm currently having a lot of fun with Sunset Overdrive, Ori and the blind forest, Void Bastards, Superhot, Blazing Chrome and Forza Horizon 4. There's a lot of good games here outside of recent AAA titles
Sr. Member
Mar 15, 2010
992 posts
1394 upvotes
Toronto
Why is everyone going nuts on this deal? Been following since inception but yet to pull trigger. I mean, yes youll have lots of games to play for 1-3 years, but once its over youll own none of these games. I like to own for resale value. I guess im of
Minority, but ill shop for physical deals vs a digital subscription.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 30, 2006
11941 posts
1865 upvotes
Vancouver
They make it sound like you own the game etc when in fact your renting the game until your membership is done. I always thought these games and especially the monthly games were mine to play forever. I only recently found out you need a paid membership to play any games for gold.
Sr. Member
Nov 30, 2005
940 posts
228 upvotes
Leduc
trellaine201 wrote: They make it sound like you own the game etc when in fact your renting the game until your membership is done. I always thought these games and especially the monthly games were mine to play forever. I only recently found out you need a paid membership to play any games for gold.
it's pretty well known that's how it works. it's been like that since the start of the generation and it's mentioned in the fine print. same thing with PlayStation. you don't lose any games you add to your account if you let the membership lapse but you have to resub to play them again.
360 games are yours to keep but everything else you have to be subscribed to play.
Newbie
Jul 11, 2019
1 posts
I'm all for physical games too. I like owning them and having the option to resell them. But if you do this deal it actually lowers the cost of Xbox Live to under $5/month and Game Pass Ultimate becomes a throw in for free. That's totally worth it to me to try out a bunch of games I might not otherwise have played.

I always buy my 12 month Live subscriptions from Costco and the the expectation that i'll do that for the next two years, it's a great deal.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 30, 2006
11941 posts
1865 upvotes
Vancouver
It’s probably because I’m not a huge gamer then. I play mostly no thinking games and just fire up the Xbox and play. I’ve always had a membership but stopped after the free pga golf game. Then tried loading it and found out . It’s all good just didn’t know.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
19284 posts
8830 upvotes
Oakville
DealOrNoDeal55 wrote: Why is everyone going nuts on this deal? Been following since inception but yet to pull trigger. I mean, yes youll have lots of games to play for 1-3 years, but once its over youll own none of these games. I like to own for resale value. I guess im of
Minority, but ill shop for physical deals vs a digital subscription.
For me, it was a no brainer. I was already fully loaded up on Live for the next three years, so $1 to add PC and XBox game pass to it is the easiest decision I've ever made. I'll get far more than $1 worth of entertainment out of those 3 years of having GPU. Hell, I already have.

And as for digital vs physical games... I do game sharing with a buddy, so we split all the games we buy. Effectively 50% off on every game. And I don't have to worry about losing or damaging physical media, or the hassle of reselling/trade-in. Or even searching for deals, really.
Member
Oct 10, 2012
380 posts
72 upvotes
London
DealOrNoDeal55 wrote: Why is everyone going nuts on this deal? Been following since inception but yet to pull trigger. I mean, yes youll have lots of games to play for 1-3 years, but once its over youll own none of these games. I like to own for resale value. I guess im of
Minority, but ill shop for physical deals vs a digital subscription.
The reasoning is that most people who already play xbox have been paying for xbox live for years and know they will continue to. Why not just buy the 3 years now which you know you will pay for anyway and add a dollar to have free games for those 3 years. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2247 posts
1851 upvotes
Vancouver
DealOrNoDeal55 wrote: Why is everyone going nuts on this deal? Been following since inception but yet to pull trigger. I mean, yes youll have lots of games to play for 1-3 years, but once its over youll own none of these games. I like to own for resale value. I guess im of
Minority, but ill shop for physical deals vs a digital subscription.
Even if you had to buy xbox live gold the whole thing was about $160 - you get free games for 3 years for the cost of literally 2 games. it's a no brainer if you play your xbox at all and like variety. The value proposition is huge. And most people with xbox already have live.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 3, 2007
2069 posts
517 upvotes
wearysky wrote: For me, it was a no brainer. I was already fully loaded up on Live for the next three years, so $1 to add PC and XBox game pass to it is the easiest decision I've ever made. I'll get far more than $1 worth of entertainment out of those 3 years of having GPU. Hell, I already have.

And as for digital vs physical games... I do game sharing with a buddy, so we split all the games we buy. Effectively 50% off on every game. And I don't have to worry about losing or damaging physical media, or the hassle of reselling/trade-in. Or even searching for deals, really.
So this was a question I was wondering. Does gamesharing work with game pass as well? I gameshare on PS4, but if I were to also gameshare on Xbox with my cousin, I might just do it if game pass will also work.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
19284 posts
8830 upvotes
Oakville
Raimond wrote: So this was a question I was wondering. Does gamesharing work with game pass as well? I gameshare on PS4, but if I were to also gameshare on Xbox with my cousin, I might just do it if game pass will also work.
I didn't think it did (it didn't work for me with ea game pass), but somebody in this thread said that it does for live *and* Xbox game pass
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 3, 2007
2069 posts
517 upvotes
wearysky wrote: I didn't think it did (it didn't work for me with ea game pass), but somebody in this thread said that it does for live *and* Xbox game pass
Yes live online access as well as games with gold works with gameshare (as does with ps+ equivalents) but I'm not sure about the games that fall under game pass.
Temp. Banned
Nov 22, 2013
2174 posts
1299 upvotes
Sarnia
Well just checked and it is saying I have Game Pass til 2020 whatever month and yet it is not allowing me access to the games. I did this quite awhile ago and everything looks right on the account but ... : S Anyone else run into this today? I am going to try a few things to see if it is just a glitch but worried here.

Update: Thank goodness restarting the console resolved this problem.
Sr. Member
Jun 9, 2009
773 posts
131 upvotes
Hamilton
Just did it now in case anyone is wondering if it's still working.

Thanks!
Jr. Member
Jul 30, 2007
126 posts
50 upvotes
I was procrastinating for such a long time... I'm glad I pulled the trigger today.. ive already found 10 games that I wanted to buy and now I can play them for "free"
If you havent done it, do it while the deal is around.
Member
Dec 16, 2010
294 posts
194 upvotes
Raimond wrote: So this was a question I was wondering. Does gamesharing work with game pass as well? I gameshare on PS4, but if I were to also gameshare on Xbox with my cousin, I might just do it if game pass will also work.
Game Sharing works.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2010
1961 posts
420 upvotes
Toronto
When is this offer ending?
Zoomer Wireless [on Rogers Network] $36 - 400 Canada Wide Minutes + 2GB LTE data
Newbie
Jan 16, 2016
19 posts
6 upvotes
Mirror Mirin
Just pulled the trigger. Super smooth process. Take my +1 upvote!
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 20, 2005
668 posts
76 upvotes
Just did this today.
2 years of Gold from Costco - took about 20 minutes to get the codes $119.98
Upgraded to Ultimate $1.13
27 months total @ $4.49/month

I dont have a Xbone, might just wait till next gen at this point but will be utilizing the PC side of it.
Thanks OP :)
_____________________________________________
Satisfied Zoomer Wireless Member
My Heatware

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)