• Jan 23rd, 2021 9:28 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2005
2057 posts
164 upvotes
GTA
Thanks OP, followed the instructions here and everything worked perfectly!
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19295 posts
8837 upvotes
Oakville
NHLeafs wrote: Does this give you xbox live ?
Gamepass Ultimate consists of XBox Game Pass, PC Game Pass, and Xbox Live Gold. But the whole point of this process is to buy Live Gold first (because it's cheaper), and then upgrade that to Ultimate.
Aug 9, 2016
12 posts
33 upvotes
Thanks OP, followed your instructions and everything worked perfectly!

I got my costco order canceled twice but after reaching the customer service It finally worked out.
Apr 11, 2005
526 posts
98 upvotes
My kid wanted me to buy Minecraft (again...damaged disc). Not only did I discover that Minecraft was included for free with Game Pass, but also that the Microsoft site showed the $1 Game Pass offer.

Thanks to the clear instructions from the OP, it worked flawlessly! I bought an extra year sub from Costco online first, and used the code to top up my Gold subscription. After adding the year to my existing Gold account, everything worked and we now have Game Pass for 2 years.

Thanks OP!
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19295 posts
8837 upvotes
Oakville
CoconutJoe wrote: My kid wanted me to buy Minecraft (again...damaged disc). Not only did I discover that Minecraft was included for free with Game Pass, but also that the Microsoft site showed the $1 Game Pass offer.

Thanks to the clear instructions from the OP, it worked flawlessly! I bought an extra year sub from Costco online first, and used the code to top up my Gold subscription. After adding the year to my existing Gold account, everything worked and we now have Game Pass for 2 years.

Thanks OP!
It's worth noting that you shouldn't rely on games always being there in Game Pass - for Microsoft games like Minecraft, I think they're always going to be included (not certain? But I think so)... But other games *do* rotate in and out (GTA V is leaving game pass today, for example)
Jun 19, 2010
160 posts
9 upvotes
finally was able to convert to ultimate after having to wait a month for some security info to update.

thanks again OP!
May 14, 2015
49 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
I previously redeemed a 6 month Live code, and converted to Ultimate using the $1 offer.

My Ultimate expired a couple days ago, and the $1 offer appeared on my Xbox Home dashboard. So I bought the Brazil 12 month Live code for $34.xx on CDKeys. Used VPN to redeem on Xbox app in Win10. Everything worked perfectly.

When I logged into my Xbox I clicked on the $1 offer banner on my dashboard; but as I click through the price displays as $16.99. Tried talking to Xbox support, but they say I don’t qualify because I used the $1 offer already.

Can anyone confirm that if I do buy a month of Ultimate at $16.99 it will convert the 13 months of Live I got through CDKeys?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19295 posts
8837 upvotes
Oakville
sergiogarciaftw wrote: I previously redeemed a 6 month Live code, and converted to Ultimate using the $1 offer.

My Ultimate expired a couple days ago, and the $1 offer appeared on my Xbox Home dashboard. So I bought the Brazil 12 month Live code for $34.xx on CDKeys. Used VPN to redeem on Xbox app in Win10. Everything worked perfectly.

When I logged into my Xbox I clicked on the $1 offer banner on my dashboard; but as I click through the price displays as $16.99. Tried talking to Xbox support, but they say I don’t qualify because I used the $1 offer already.

Can anyone confirm that if I do buy a month of Ultimate at $16.99 it will convert the 13 months of Live I got through CDKeys?
The $1 offer comes and goes, and whether or not you're eligible is entirely at the whims of Microsoft (works multiple times for some people, not for others). But yes, if you upgrade the one month for $16.99, it will upgrade your entire existing Live Gold balance.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1132 posts
150 upvotes
Hey guys, I just got a brand new xbox and it came with 1 month free for Gold, and 1 month free for Game Pass. Should I redeem both of these codes before I do the trick posted in the OP? Or should I just redeem the XBL Gold and hang onto the Game Pass until later when my GPU expires? Also, the PC game pass gets converted to GPU too? It wasn't clear in the OP, is it PC only? Thanks
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1120 posts
690 upvotes
London, ON
@kazkira When you become a Game Pass Ultimate subscriber, it converts all combined remaining time of:
  • Xbox Live Gold
  • Game Pass for console (Xbox One)
  • Game Pass for PC

Game Pass Ultimate is basically a bundle of all 3.

If you use your free month of Gold, free month of Game Pass (console), and then buy 1 month of Ultimate, you'll end up with 3 months of Ultimate.

Totally up to you whether you want to use the free cards now or not. I used to like to keep 1-month Gold codes around for single months when I liked the Games with Gold being offered. You could potentially keep the Game Pass code for a future month when a game you like is added. But getting an extra month of Ultimate for the "price" of Gold or Game Pass is pretty nice too.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1132 posts
150 upvotes
Does anyone know how to get in touch with an Xbox rep? I keep trying to use their contact us on the website and they keep connecting me to "Gamers". There is some issue with my xbox account and I simply cannot redeem the xbox live codes I bought from costco.. this whole ordeal has been such a pain in the butt.

Update: I was finally able to resolve it by speaking to an agent. Lost my 1 month free trial for Xbox Live Gold but was able to convert the rest of my subscriptions into GPU, oh well.
Dec 24, 2010
474 posts
239 upvotes
Does this still work if you've used the $1 trial for ultimate?
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1120 posts
690 upvotes
London, ON
azndnangel wrote: Does this still work if you've used the $1 trial for ultimate?
The equal conversion happens when you become a Game Pass Ultimate subscriber. Doesn't matter how much you pay for it. Could even use a pre-paid or free code.

You may receive the $1 offer again after expiry, but it's not consistent or guaranteed.
Sep 14, 2007
159 posts
145 upvotes
Vancouver
Please help this confused newbie as there are so many levels of membership. I have got only a PC so does Ultimate do anything for me? Or will the Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta) be enough. My son wants to play Forza Horizon and nothing other than racing games.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1120 posts
690 upvotes
London, ON
@conurus If you only have a PC, the benefits of any other Xbox subscription are minimal at best. Here are the 4 subscription options:

• Xbox Live Gold
    • Online multi-player on Xbox consoles
    • "Free" monthly console games
    • Extra discounts during digital game sales
  • Xbox Game Pass for console - Download and play as many games as you want from a select library of Xbox games. Only for Xbox One, and future Xbox consoles (Series X, etc.).
  • Xbox Game Pass for PC - Same concept, but for PC (Windows 10 only). Different library of games--some overlap with the console library.
  • Xbox Game Pass Ultimate - All of the above, with occasional extra bonuses. (e.g. Access to Gears 5 Ultimate Edition, while standard Game Pass gets standard edition.)

Click here for the current game library. You can click tabs to filter by console/PC games.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19295 posts
8837 upvotes
Oakville
conurus wrote: Please help this confused newbie as there are so many levels of membership. I have got only a PC so does Ultimate do anything for me? Or will the Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta) be enough. My son wants to play Forza Horizon and nothing other than racing games.
There is no benefit to PC-only users to get ultimate over just PC Game pass.

*HOWEVER*, buying cheap XBox Live Gold codes and upgrading it to Ultimate may or may not still end up being cheaper than PC Game pass.
Feb 23, 2019
59 posts
9 upvotes
I was able to do this today. I already had $1 ultimate subscription. Cancelled that first, added 12 + 12 + 6. Got 3 months free for recurring billing. And finally upgraded to ultimate for $1 again.
Dec 4, 2010
164 posts
113 upvotes
Ottawa
Worked as described for me today as well. Thanks OP for the instructions!