• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2021 6:57 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 4, 2009
27 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary
I bought the Live subscription through CD Keys (Brazil) and was able to activate it, so my account now shows 36 months of XBOX live. When I try to upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate, though (in the Canadian store) I get this error:

Change your Microsoft Store region
You currently have a subscription from a different region. If it still doesn't work, please contact customer support.
PUR-ConversionBlockedCurrencyCountryMismatch
636sHrH6dEmpQjoS.0.0.9.9

If I try to go to the Brazil store to do it, they want a billing address in Brazil, which I don't have.

I checked with XBOX support, and the rep I chatted with said that the offer only works for up to 36 months, and since I have 36 months now I need to wait a month before converting from XBL to GPU. That seems unlikely to me. Anyone else encountered this, or have any other suggestions?
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11935 posts
1862 upvotes
Vancouver
My conversion stops in sept. Does this mean I can convert again?
Dec 6, 2008
797 posts
231 upvotes
rhythmmachine wrote: I bought the Live subscription through CD Keys (Brazil) and was able to activate it, so my account now shows 36 months of XBOX live. When I try to upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate, though (in the Canadian store) I get this error:

Change your Microsoft Store region
You currently have a subscription from a different region. If it still doesn't work, please contact customer support.
PUR-ConversionBlockedCurrencyCountryMismatch
636sHrH6dEmpQjoS.0.0.9.9

If I try to go to the Brazil store to do it, they want a billing address in Brazil, which I don't have.

I checked with XBOX support, and the rep I chatted with said that the offer only works for up to 36 months, and since I have 36 months now I need to wait a month before converting from XBL to GPU. That seems unlikely to me. Anyone else encountered this, or have any other suggestions?
How much was the key and did you buy that from ebay?. I thought you have to VPN if u have a Brazil key and Microsoft will not allow the subscription
Jan 4, 2009
27 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary
itemsale2003 wrote: How much was the key and did you buy that from ebay?. I thought you have to VPN if u have a Brazil key and Microsoft will not allow the subscription
I bought it from cdkeys. I did need to use a VPN to activate it, but it appears to be working just fine on my Canadian account, except for that fact that I haven't been able to do the upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11935 posts
1862 upvotes
Vancouver
I didn’t think other countries worked with Canada and Xbox? Because I saw a very cheap 12 month from Brazil.
Aug 4, 2006
163 posts
3 upvotes
This still works, followed OPs instructions to a T and now have GPU until May 2023. Bought 2x 12 month subs and a 6 month from Costco.ca.

I was unable to turn off recurring billing for some reason (it asks me if I want to cancel my subscription fully), but I can sort that out in 35 months.
Jan 4, 2009
27 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary
Finally got it working, but only with help from XBOX support. I bought the XBL for Brazil, but couldn't buy GPU either in Canada or Brazil because I got an error saying I had a subscription from another region. I thought it was my Office365, but after working with XBOX support, it turns out that the XBL subscription I bought and activated through Brazil was associated (from Microsoft's perspective) with the US region. I changed my store setting to be US, removed any non-US billing methods, bought a US XBOX gift card, and then used VPN to log on to the store in the US and subscribe to GPU there, and it finally worked. So if you're getting a code about country not matching or subscription in another region, that may be the issue, no matter what region your XBL seems to be from...
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11935 posts
1862 upvotes
Vancouver
I applied this offer a year ago. But only for a year. Ultimate and Gold expire in September 2020. Under XboxLive there is an option for xbox game pass ultimate for a $1. Even though I used this before to get game pass/gold a year ago.

Do you think if I add a year of Xbox live gold. Then apply the Xbox game ass ultimate for a $1 it will work again?

Thanks

I’m having regrets I didn’t buy an extra year or two .
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19277 posts
8827 upvotes
Oakville
trellaine201 wrote: I applied this offer a year ago. But only for a year. Ultimate and Gold expire in September 2020. Under XboxLive there is an option for xbox game pass ultimate for a $1. Even though I used this before to get game pass/gold a year ago.

Do you think if I add a year of Xbox live gold. Then apply the Xbox game ass ultimate for a $1 it will work again?

Thanks

I’m having regrets I didn’t buy an extra year or two .
The $1 deal may not be actually available for you (even though it's showing up, if you try to claim it, it may not work)

But that aside, yes - if you add a year of gold after your ultimate/gold expires, and then upgrade to Ultimate again, it will convert the whole year to Ultimate.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11935 posts
1862 upvotes
Vancouver
Oh, so basically your saying wait? But maybe that deal will be gone?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19277 posts
8827 upvotes
Oakville
trellaine201 wrote: Oh, so basically your saying wait? But maybe that deal will be gone?
You can't add more Live Gold until your current ultimate expires - if you try to add it before, it'll add at a reduced rate. Microsoft is notorious for showing deals to people that they don't actually qualify for - the $1 deal is usually reserved for new subscribers.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11935 posts
1862 upvotes
Vancouver
Yah that’s why I’m surprised to see it.

Why can’t I add a year of GOLD? And extend my current subscription.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1120 posts
690 upvotes
London, ON
trellaine201 wrote: Why can’t I add a year of GOLD? And extend my current subscription.
Typical conversion rate is based on US MSRP:
12-month XBL Gold code = $60 USD = 4 months of Game Pass Ultimate ($15 USD/month)

See the bottom FAQ here for a conversion table:
https://www.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-game-pass#faq

For now, when you start your Ultimate subscription, they are ignoring the monetary values, and converting the remaining subscription time at par. It's not known if/when they'll stop doing this.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11935 posts
1862 upvotes
Vancouver
Its somewhat confusing. In my mind if I extended my gold it should just do that and when expiry is up for game pass it should stop and gold continue. Kinda confusing if you ask me. So it makes no sense for me to extend GOLD right now. Seems dumb. I should be able to extend GOLD or extend Game Pass now in my eyes.

Again i find it confusing.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1120 posts
690 upvotes
London, ON
I imagine trying to set things up on Microsoft's end to deal with future subscriptions would get pretty complicated. Plus, they're hoping most people will just stay subscribed and keep paying, without thinking about it too much.

I'd suggest checking your expiry date, and making yourself a reminder of some kind (calendar, or whatever). Make sure recurring billing/auto-renew is disabled.

https://account.microsoft.com/services/

After your Ultimate subscription has expired, you'll have the most options available, and you can decide what you want to do then.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19277 posts
8827 upvotes
Oakville
trellaine201 wrote: Its somewhat confusing. In my mind if I extended my gold it should just do that and when expiry is up for game pass it should stop and gold continue. Kinda confusing if you ask me. So it makes no sense for me to extend GOLD right now. Seems dumb. I should be able to extend GOLD or extend Game Pass now in my eyes.

Again i find it confusing.
As a software developer, I can 100% see why they don't allow you to add a future-dated gold subscription - what do you do if somebody adds extra gold, or PC game pass, or xbox game pass all while subscribed to Ultimate... But then also decides to extend their Ultimate? There's too many variables at play there. Especially since, as mentioned, Microsoft *very* much wants people to just subscribe to Ultimate and leave auto-renew on and forget about it, to drive a bunch of passive income... It makes much more sense to just convert any purchases at a pre-set rate while you're subscribed to Ultimate, to keep you locked into that plan instead. Yes, we RFDers are savvy enough to understand that it's way cheaper to just stack as much Gold as possible and then convert to Ultimate... But the vast vast VAST majority of gamers won't recognize that loophole.
Sep 15, 2017
33 posts
10 upvotes
I can confirm it still works ! I followed the steps shown in the summary, only difference is I bought the keys elsewhere because they were cheaper than costco.
Expiration date is 2023/06/20
Thanks for this !
Sep 11, 2009
83 posts
31 upvotes
Can confirm it all works still. Followed same steps in pinned post. I have Game Pass Ultimate til June 27th 2023 for $160.