• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2019 11:22 am
[OP]
Jun 9, 2019
180 posts
273 upvotes

[Microsoft Store] [VR] Samsung Odyssey+ VR HMD with 2 controllers - $299

As per title and link:

[VR] Samsung Odyssey+ VR HMD with 2 controllers - $325.00 ($625 - $325)

This is a historical low. The only other lowest price I've seen is $230 USD, offered here at BHPhoto. After taxes, conversion, and some kind of mailbox in the US (and assuming you can avoid duty/taxes) it comes to about $30 difference. I think that's not worth the convenience of just having it shipped to your door, though I thought I'd mention it for the truly frugal types anyway.

For more info, see this reddit thread for some discussion on this headset. Here are a few choice paragraphs comparing it to GearVR, Rift S, and Vive Pro:
I had tried the Gear VR with both the S8 and S8+ and the S8 looked sharper than the S8+ because of the smaller phone screen as the part of the screen that shows in the GearVR headset doesn't take up the whole phone display. Both the HP Mixed Reality Headset and the Samsung Odyssey+ looks better than the GearVR and also gives 6DOF (positional and rotational tracking) rather than 3DOF (rotational tracking) which means you can physically move your body in VR rather than just your head with the GearVR which is a total game changer in my experience. It is more immersive interactiving in VR in 6DOF than 3DOF. The screens are also 90Hz compared to 60Hz on the GearVR. You get two 6DOF tracked motion controllers while the GearVR you get this single tiny black controller that only has rotational tracking 3DOF. GearVR Controller feels like a little remote or clicker while these motion controllers feel like actual gaming controllers. GearVR does have the benefit of using a focus wheel so you might not need to use glasses with it.

This headset competes with the Rift S. There's some trade offs here between the two. Rift S favoring better controller ergonomics and controller tracking while Odyssey+ favors better colors and has lower SDE. Rift S is slightly sharper while the Odyssey+ has slightly bigger FOV. Odyssey+ has Mechanical IPD Adjustment where the Rift S doesn't. Small text in game is readable on both the Rift S and Odyssey+. Rift S has a better VR home experience software but Odyssey+ has decent built-in headphones but they are not removable whereas you can plug in your own headphones on the Rift S. Odyssey+ has less flickering than the Rift S at 90Hz rather than 80Hz but it is usually unnoticeable.

As for the Vive Pro, the Samsung Odyssey+ is a great and cheaper alternative. They share the same screens although the Samsung Odyssey+ has an Anti-SDE diffuser on the screen which makes SDE almost entirely gone compared to the Vive Pro. The Vive Pro screen looked more like the OG Samsung Odyssey. Controller tracking on the Vive Pro is obviously better but ergonomically the Samsung controllers win because it wraps around your hand better and isn't awkwardly long like the Vive Wands. It also has touchpad and thumbsticks while the Vive Wands has touchpad only which isn't good in my experience as I prefer using thumbsticks. The controllers on the Samsung require AA batteries rather than built-in like the Vive but I prefer it that way because internal batteries can fail while requiring AA batteries means you can easily replace them if it goes bad or even do a quick swap for fresh recharged batteries.

Vive Pro requires setting up base stations while Odyssey+ and Rift S do not as they use inside-out tracking so getting setup is faster.
Last edited by TomRFD on Nov 26th, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
Thread Summary
For Steam titles: After installing SteamVR, you also have to install Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR (which is a separate app) from the Steam Store. Otherwise it won't detect.
222 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
2727 posts
3252 upvotes
I thought this said Mario Odyssey VR and couldn't register wtf was happening
Koodo, Fido, Telus, Public Mobile, Virgin customer.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2008
1053 posts
564 upvotes
I'm a noob when it comes to VR... Does this only run with a smart phone or could I use this with my PC and let's say steam? Nvm I just checked the link. I can use on PC. Thanks OP! Been looking for something like this.
Dec 16, 2013
42 posts
12 upvotes
Burnaby
Do you think this would be able to run Half Life:Alyx? Is there also a 7% Rakuten cashback?
Apr 7, 2017
93 posts
52 upvotes
This will definitely work for Half Life Alyx. The announcement specifically said WMR devices will be supported.
Phase 1: Collect underpants
Phase 2: ?
Phase 3: Profit
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
3729 posts
1697 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
Original price seems jacked.
Apr 20, 2009
210 posts
95 upvotes
Note that Rakuten excludes Windows Mixed and Virtual Reality devices from cash back.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1690 posts
1191 upvotes
personally I would suggest people look at spending a bit more and buy the Oculus Quest instead..
Jan 23, 2017
124 posts
117 upvotes
I pulled the trigger on the purchase and the delivery date is expected for Tuesday Nov 26th. I'm going to keep it boxed and potentially return if there's a good deal on a Rift S over Black Friday. Currently I don't see any expected deals on the Rift S and a $324 purchase price for the Odyssey+ was compelling.
Mar 8, 2007
448 posts
572 upvotes
imclumzy wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2019 4:01 pm
I pulled the trigger on the purchase and the delivery date is expected for Tuesday Nov 26th. I'm going to keep it boxed and potentially return if there's a good deal on a Rift S over Black Friday. Currently I don't see any expected deals on the Rift S and a $324 purchase price for the Odyssey+ was compelling.
I'm someone who has a large IPD (70) and the Rift S doesn't really work for me... whereas I've heard the samung might...

but I was curious wht the rift S is better for you than the Samsung
Sep 4, 2017
130 posts
151 upvotes
imclumzy wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2019 4:01 pm
It's going to be $50 off in the U.S., and it looks like it'll be $70 off here: https://www.redflagdeals.com/deal/video ... headset-2/
I had to Google it to find something; not sure why it's listed under Toronto.
Sep 4, 2017
130 posts
151 upvotes
samwisz wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2019 5:11 pm
Is this a in-store deal only? because it still shows as $549 online.
The deal's online, (probably across every Rift S retailer,) and starts on the 28th.

I'm probably going to get the Rift S. The tracking should be significantly better than the Odyssey+, the screen's sharper since it's RGB, and some of the issues people have with the black-levels may be caused by software: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... he_rift_s/